Cell Phone Use

takevtr1

there is a free connection to the wifi network so that all guests can use the norwegian app. anybody can connect to the wifi network onboard... if you have an internet plan, you can surf the web freely, within the limited constraints of the poor throughput they provide.

but there appears to be an IT loophole that allows certain web traffic to go through to apple devices, even if you're not on an internet plan; in particular, people report receiving app notifications from a variety of services and people (myself included) report being able to send and receive iMessages to and from apple devices.

beyond that, i can't explain it more fully, quite frankly.

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

there is a free connection to the wifi network so that all guests can use the norwegian app. anybody can connect to the wifi network onboard... if you have an internet plan, you can surf the web freely, within the limited constraints of the poor throughput they provide.

but there appears to be an IT loophole that allows certain web traffic to go through to apple devices, even if you're not on an internet plan; in particular, people report receiving app notifications from a variety of services and people (myself included) report being able to send and receive iMessages to and from apple devices.

This is super helpful! Thank you!

15 hours ago, UKstages said:

I can confirm this, as well. I was able to send and receive iMessages onboard the Norwegian Gem last September even while not logged in to our onboard web package. Also, we have free texting (send/receive) with our cell phone provider while overseas.

Would it help my situation if I got an international (for cruise ship sailing) plan via my phone provider (Verizon)??

If so, would it be through the ships WiFi  or I think cellular service with their satellite??

I saw something on the NCL site that mentions a company that you can connect thru to get service. 

5 hours ago, takevtr1 said:

If so, would it be through the ships WiFi  or I think cellular service with their satellite??

Your cell provider offers an option to use the Cellular At Sea "tower" on cruise ships?  If you have WiFi calling and texting enabled and have unlimited internet on board there should be no need for it.

If you purchase the unlimited Wi-Fi plan, and have an iPhone, all you need to do is toggle on Wi-Fi Calling in settings on the phone. We have Verizon and on cruise ships made many phone calls and text messages at no charge from Verizon. In order to FaceTime you may need Premium Unlimited Wi-Fi. Please remember to turn off cellular service and go on airplane mode. 

7 hours ago, takevtr1 said:

Would it help my situation if I got an international (for cruise ship sailing) plan via my phone provider (Verizon)??

I saw something on the NCL site that mentions a company that you can connect thru to get service. 

You need to understand exactly what the package includes. Most packages provide calling and SMS text messages. Some limited minutes. Some unlimited minutes. Most include a very small amount of data, so you should avoid emailing or surfing using the ship’s cell tower. 

As others have suggested, if your carrier and phone supports Wi-Fi calling, getting the ships’s unlimited Wi-Fi is a better choice. 

Edited by BirdTravels

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to understand exactly what the package includes. Most packages provide calling and SMS text messages. Some limited minutes. Some unlimited minutes. Most include a very small amount of data, so you should avoid emailing or surfing using the ship’s cell tower. 

As others have suggested, if your carrier and phone supports Wi-Fi calling, getting the ships’s unlimited Wi-Fi is a better choice. 

ok BirdTravels - thanks for this information. Our goal would be to only use it for texting.

18 hours ago, Mike A said:

If you purchase the unlimited Wi-Fi plan, and have an iPhone, all you need to do is toggle on Wi-Fi Calling in settings on the phone. We have Verizon and on cruise ships made many phone calls and text messages at no charge from Verizon. In order to FaceTime you may need Premium Unlimited Wi-Fi. Please remember to turn off cellular service and go on airplane mode. 

Mike A. Are you from Wantagh??? I grew up there and now live in Suffolk County... I  was in the Forest Lake area near the Forest Lake Elementary school.

Edited by takevtr1

Some providers actually give surprisingly good deals using the sips cell tower, so never discount this without checking.
My own provider Sky(UK) allows my to use my plan (Calls, SMS & Date) as if I was at home for a daily rate of just £2 ($2.50) and I can decide which days I want to connect as you only pay each 24hr period you actually use the service.
This is an excellent deal and beats the ships wifi hands down.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 6:09 PM, hallux said:

Turning on airplane mode automatically turns off mobile data, no need to do anything there, just turn WiFi back on.  I'm happy to see you were able to send a text with that setup.  However, this does mean that you'll need to have your phone connected for internet access and the recipient will as well in order to have real-time messaging.

Thanks, this is helpful to me.  I want to be able to check in with my mom who will be at home while husband and I are on our cruise.  I can login to ship's wifi, send/receive texts with her, then log off again.  A daily check or two is fine, we don't need to be in constant contact.  DH and I will have the NCL app for keeping in touch with the rest of onboard family throughout the cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike A said:

Hi takevtr1…I have lived in Wantagh for the last 28 years on the north end near MacArthur High School. Grew up in Massapequa Park. It’s a small world🙂
Happy Crusing.

OMG - while I grew up in Wantagh (moved there in 1973 and moved out in 1987 to Patchogue), my wife grew up in Masspaequa (not the Park - but close enough. Her family still lives there on Clark Ave). Yes, small world....

6 hours ago, TenForward said:

Thanks, this is helpful to me.  I want to be able to check in with my mom who will be at home while husband and I are on our cruise.  I can login to ship's wifi, send/receive texts with her, then log off again.  A daily check or two is fine, we don't need to be in constant contact.  DH and I will have the NCL app for keeping in touch with the rest of onboard family throughout the cruise.

while my phone is too old for the NCL app., my wife just today got a new phone and I hope I will be able to install the app on her phone.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

This is just my personal experience...but I have never been able to text while onboard with my Android phone.  That is one clear advantage that iPhones have over Androids!  iPhones use an internet based server system for texting and Android uses the regular cell data system... which doesn't exist on a ship (unless you are using Cellular at Sea...BAD IDEA! Crazy expensive)  WhatsApp is a good alternative for Androids...but as mentioned above you would really need the unlimited plan in place.  And...anybody that you want to communicate with (even back home) would need to have WhatsApp installed.

Actually, Apple iMessage also has limitations when you are not on cellular.  You can iMessage freely with other iPhones, but not with an Android.