Cell Phone Use

takevtr1

Hello All,

Question about using cell phones while onboard. We will be on the Breakaway and have the Free At Sea 250 min internet pkg.

My question is - can I use this perk to send/receive text messages? I have Verizon Cell plan.

Is it true that the free at sea perk allows only one person to log on to WiFi at a time? If so, then I guess sending/receiving text messages won't work.

I just added Whatsapp to my phone to communicate with our tour guides while in the Caribbean.

Would Whatsapp work for me while on the ship for texting other family members?

Thank you very much,

Mitch

@takevtr1 - Well, SMS or text messaging should work for receiving AND sending onboard, as long as your device (iOS or Android) is properly configured to support & tested to work with VoLTE and/or WiFi calling.  

For receiving inbound messages or SMS from others onboard (and from others mobile/cellular networks, whether it's VZW or AT&T/T-Mobile, etc.) - their devices need to be actively connected onboard to ship's WiFi network (ideally, not just the inTRAnet or closed loops withn the ship - but, also inTERnet over satellite's network to land towers/signals) 

That is, while and until the 250 minutes are still not depleted - once, that is until the minutes allowance are fully used up.  The ideal way to text other members onboard is to purchase the optional ship's calling & texting app, for a flat-fee of $9.95 per device/registered user (valid for duration of the cruise, no airtime minutes deducted or taken) - it worked fine whereas the calling function is hit-and-miss (from within the installed free "Norwegian App" for other functions on the ship.  

Using WhatsApp on the ship will likely just make it more complicated to connect and text each other, unless everyone is on an unlimited WiFi plan for the entire cruise - not warranted and unnecessary, IMHO. 

You can refer to this Addendum that I added, with more details that described how it worked for us and what, etc. on the Getaway last month.   

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840868-getaway-semi-live-limited-ny-florida-pc-gsc-nassau-3272022/page/7/#comment-62973244

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so I did not think it was going to be this confusing - LOL

Thanks to both of you for all the information you provided.

I know my group will not be looking to upgrade to any additional WiFi plans - so that option is mostly out of the question.

Can you elaborate a little more on the free WiFi that we get.

Is the 250 min for just being logged into the Wifi network or 250 min of actual usage? I can't  imagine a text message would take up much time. I my issue would be having 2 people in the same cabin logged in at the same time which I don't think is possible.

Thanks...

You can register as many devices as you need/wanted to use onboard with the 250 free minutes (that's under the older/previous Free At Seas promo plan choices - now, it's 150 free minutes per person, passenger #1 and #2 only) while connected AND logged into the satellite inTERnet onboard the ship.  Ship's WiFi signal also enabled & support the free iNTRAnet coverage, i.e. access digital Dining Menu, review onboard charges & make reservations, etc. - which does NOT count or reduce your free inTERnet airtime minutes.  There is a "meter" feature displayed via the browser that show minutes used & remaining, and follow the steps to log-in and log-out each time, to stop the "clock" or your usable airtime will run out very fast, by the end of mid/late evening on embarkation day (#1) if you forget.  

iCafe manager will usually, do a one-time reset to restore your accidental minutest lost if you ask, at his/her discretion upon review.  

If you go to my Getaway link above, there are sample screenshots of what & how, what you should be looking at & be careful with - there should be a printed quick guide at the iCafe to pickup, with instructions on how to ... most seasoned cruisers figure it out on the fly.  

45 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

You can register as many devices as you need/wanted to use onboard with the 250 free minutes (that's under the older/previous Free At Seas promo plan choices - now, it's 150 free minutes per person, passenger #1 and #2 only) while connected AND logged into the satellite inTERnet onboard the ship.  Ship's WiFi signal also enabled & support the free iNTRAnet coverage, i.e. access digital Dining Menu, review onboard charges & make reservations, etc. - which does NOT count or reduce your free inTERnet airtime minutes.  There is a "meter" feature displayed via the browser that show minutes used & remaining, and follow the steps to log-in and log-out each time, to stop the "clock" or your usable airtime will run out very fast, by the end of mid/late evening on embarkation day (#1) if you forget.  

iCafe manager will usually, do a one-time reset to restore your accidental minutest lost if you ask, at his/her discretion upon review.  

If you go to my Getaway link above, there are sample screenshots of what & how, what you should be looking at & be careful with - there should be a printed quick guide at the iCafe to pickup, with instructions on how to ... most seasoned cruisers figure it out on the fly.  

ok, I will check out your post. I appreciate all your detailed information. I agree that it would be easy to blow through the 150 very quickly. So it really does not solve the issue of being able to text other family members on the ship. Texting is really all we want to do just so we can set up meeting places or just to see where others are. I guess if I have them all use Whatsapp, it won't help since we would need WiFi to use that service. I guess we might have to upgrade our pkg.

Put in a TIME respect 250 minutes =s 4 hours and 10 minutes - USE IT WISELY !

Suggest that you do your internet tinkering while in port - find a coffee shop or

other free source to do the serious stuff.

Forget to LOG-OFF and fleeting time is gone in a poof - - -

And YES the Internet Cafe people MAY at their discretion reset your time - - -

Did you perchance read the NCL Internet for Dummies Ver. 101 ?

Consider conversion of the free 250 minutes to Unlimited.

If necessary need a paper copy document - it will costa-ya $0.50 a page - - -

Do this printing while at the Internet Cafe for security reasons.

Text maybe OK but if you are used to fiber optic light speed - your NCL Wi-Fi

will be like the seahorse pony express rotary dial on the slow boat from Yokohama !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Put in a TIME respect 250 minutes =s 4 hours and 10 minutes - USE IT WISELY !

Suggest that you do your internet tinkering while in port - find a coffee shop or

other free source to do the serious stuff.

Forget to LOG-OFF and fleeting time is gone in a poof - - -

And YES the Internet Cafe people MAY at their discretion reset your time - - -

Did you perchance read the NCL Internet for Dummies Ver. 101 ?

Consider conversion of the free 250 minutes to Unlimited.

If necessary need a paper copy document - it will costa-ya $0.50 a page - - -

Do this printing while at the Internet Cafe for security reasons.

Text maybe OK but if you are used to fiber optic light speed - your NCL Wi-Fi

will be like the seahorse pony express rotary dial on the slow boat from Yokohama !

thanks for the info. Where can I find NCL Internet for Dummies Ver. 101??

This is just my personal experience...but I have never been able to text while onboard with my Android phone.  That is one clear advantage that iPhones have over Androids!  iPhones use an internet based server system for texting and Android uses the regular cell data system... which doesn't exist on a ship (unless you are using Cellular at Sea...BAD IDEA! Crazy expensive)  WhatsApp is a good alternative for Androids...but as mentioned above you would really need the unlimited plan in place.  And...anybody that you want to communicate with (even back home) would need to have WhatsApp installed.

I generally just wait until I'm in port and use the AT&T International Day Pass to do texting and such.  Email and surfing the web, of course, works just fine onboard.

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This is just my personal experience...but I have never been able to text while onboard with my Android phone.  That is one clear advantage that iPhones have over Androids!  iPhones use an internet based server system for texting and Android uses the regular cell data system... which doesn't exist on a ship (unless you are using Cellular at Sea...BAD IDEA! Crazy expensive)  WhatsApp is a good alternative for Androids...but as mentioned above you would really need the unlimited plan in place.  And...anybody that you want to communicate with (even back home) would need to have WhatsApp installed.

I generally just wait until I'm in port and use the AT&T International Day Pass to do texting and such.  Email and surfing the web, of course, works just fine onboard.

thanks so much. Of course all my family members have androids. All I want to do is to be able to keep in touch with all my family members on the ship with me and really have no need to text people at home (unless of an emergency then I will deal with it at the time).

On 4/17/2022 at 12:26 PM, takevtr1 said:

Texting is really all we want to do just so we can set up meeting places or just to see where others are. I guess if I have them all use Whatsapp, it won't help since we would need WiFi to use that service. I guess we might have to upgrade our pkg.

Regarding your minutes.....

You will not get any texts or be able to send unless you are logged in, thus burning your 250 minutes. Anyone else, unless they have internet will not be able to text out or receive.

You will need to buy the $9.95 for each person. You need the texting app to accomplish it. 

On a side note...great answers mking...

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

Regarding your minutes.....

You will not get any texts or be able to send unless you are logged in, thus burning your 250 minutes. Anyone else, unless they have internet will not be able to text out or receive.

You will need to buy the $9.95 for each person. You need the texting app to accomplish it. 

On a side note...great answers mking...

OK, makes a little more sense now. Not happy though. I was hoping to just use our free minutes for texting purposes. Oh well, I guess we will just have to send smoke signals to stay in touch with each other. 

The texting app you reference, it that an NCL app? I know my phone is too old to download the NCL app. It is from 2017. I did not think that would be a problem. But when I go to the google play store, the NCL app does not even show up so I was told my phone is too old. 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:26 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

.but I have never been able to text while onboard with my Android phone

As long as your carrier supports, and you have enabled, WiFi texting you shouldn't have a problem texting while connected to the internet, even from a ship.  Some don't allow picture messaging unless you're on the cellular network.

Now, with RCS coming (being championed by Google and supported by most modern Android devices and messaging apps) this may change.

6 hours ago, takevtr1 said:

The texting app you reference, it that an NCL app?

The on-board messaging is done through the NCL app itself, not separate app.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, hallux said:

As long as your carrier supports, and you have enabled, WiFi texting you shouldn't have a problem texting while connected to the internet, even from a ship.  Some don't allow picture messaging unless you're on the cellular network.

Now, with RCS coming (being championed by Google and supported by most modern Android devices and messaging apps) this may change.

The on-board messaging is done through the NCL app itself, not separate app.

So we have verizon. I just turned off my mobile data on my phone and while connected to my home WiFi, I was able to send a text. So I assume that means it would work on the ship using our 250 free WiFi mins. So now the problem is, since we only get a share of the 250 min (125pp min.) we would not be able to stay logged in most of the time to be able to communicate back and forth via text only. Which was my goal in the first place. I just wanted texting to keep in touch with all my traveling mates. Don't need access to social media etc.

17 minutes ago, takevtr1 said:

So we have verizon. I just turned off my mobile data on my phone and while connected to my home WiFi, I was able to send a text. So I assume that means it would work on the ship using our 250 free WiFi mins

Enable airplane mode then turn WiFi back and try again.  That's the most accurate test.

18 minutes ago, takevtr1 said:

So now the problem is, since we only get a share of the 250 min (125pp min.) we would not be able to stay logged in most of the time to be able to communicate back and forth via text only. Which was my goal in the first place. I just wanted texting to keep in touch with all my traveling mates. Don't need access to social media etc.

$10 per device, everyone installs the NCL app and communicates through the messaging capability in there.  Install the NCL app before boarding.  That's the best way to communicate on the ship if you're sharing internet minutes.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Enable airplane mode then turn WiFi back and try again.  That's the most accurate test.

$10 per device, everyone installs the NCL app and communicates through the messaging capability in there.  Install the NCL app before boarding.  That's the best way to communicate on the ship if you're sharing internet minutes.

First, the problem with my cell phone is apparently it is too old for the ncl app. I tried to upgrade the version but it won't go higher than Andriod 8.0. I was told it has to be the higher version. Not sure what the rest of the family has. This is a big disappointment as I wanted the app for all the things it offers not just communicating. Ok, I turned ON airplane mode, disabled mobile data and then turned WiFi on and I was able to send a text. I really appreciate all your advice on this...

1 hour ago, takevtr1 said:

I tried to upgrade the version but it won't go higher than Andriod 8.0. I was told it has to be the higher version.

Long-term this is going to become a bigger and bigger problem as developers start moving to supporting newer versions of the OS as the minimum.  It is and isn't NCL's fault - as they incorporate more advanced features their minimum "API level" goes up and older versions of Android start getting left behind.  The same is happening with other apps every day.  Before you ask - no, you can't just update your Android phone like you can Windows, the OS needs to be built for the specific device.

Ultimately - I encourage you to consider getting a new phone at some point.  There are lots of phones running newer versions of Android that are not all that expensive.

1 hour ago, takevtr1 said:

Ok, I turned ON airplane mode, disabled mobile data and then turned WiFi on and I was able to send a text.

Turning on airplane mode automatically turns off mobile data, no need to do anything there, just turn WiFi back on.  I'm happy to see you were able to send a text with that setup.  However, this does mean that you'll need to have your phone connected for internet access and the recipient will as well in order to have real-time messaging.

• Like 1

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

Use WhatsApp...but again, everyone will need the unlimited plan.  WhatsApp will run on older phones.

If they're going to do that they might as well just use their existing texting capability over WiFi.  No sense muddying the waters with an additional app to duplicate a capability that's built into the phone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hallux said:

If they're going to do that they might as well just use their existing texting capability over WiFi.  No sense muddying the waters with an additional app to duplicate a capability that's built into the phone.

As I stated in my original post...I was never able to get it to work on my Galaxy S20 (AT&T) phone.  Maybe I was doing something wrong...I don't think so.  Yes, I had WiFi calling turned on.  I am simply offering up a possible Plan B to @takevtr1

• Like 1

not to make anybody's brain explode, but my experience has been - on every NCL ship - that iMessaging will work from apple device to apple device, provided you're connected to the ships wifi network. you do not have to be using internet minutes! and you should be able to exchange messages with apple devices onboard as well as those not on the ship. (those on board would also have to be connected to the ship's wifi, of course.)

bear in mind, if sending photo texts, it could take a minute or two for the data to upload or download. send each image separately, or your message may not go through.

again, this is from apple device to apple device... does not apply to android.

YMMV.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UKstages said:

not to make anybody's brain explode, but my experience has been - on every NCL ship - that iMessaging will work from apple device to apple device, provided you're connected to the ships wifi network. you do not have to be using internet minutes! and you should be able to exchange messages with apple devices onboard as well as those not on the ship. (those on board would also have to be connected to the ship's wifi, of course.)

bear in mind, if sending photo texts, it could take a minute or two for the data to upload or download. send each image separately, or your message may not go through.

YMMV.

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately all my family members have android device, but thanks again.  When I first posted this thread, I never thought would turn into this. I thought it would be an easy task to just send/recv text messages using ships WiFi. Oh Boy.... I think my group will just have to be more alert to where everyone is and when we are supposed to meet up for dinner etc.  

You can send and receive messages over wifi with Android, you just need to turn chat features on in the regular Google messages app (the SMS app).
Obviously the chats will only update while you are connected to the free minutes if your data is turned off.

You can also set up a group chat for those on the ship as long as they have all turned this feature on, personally I would rather use WhatsApp which does the same but for those wanting to use the normal messages app without downloading WhatsApp it does work.

https://support.google.com/messages/answer/7189714?hl=en

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

YMMV.

Can you elaborate on this? Wouldn’t connecting to the wifi network mean using the minutes though which are very minimal? Or is there a free limited wifi onboard or something?