Viking Easing Up

CILCIANRQTS

Crew member just advised us Viking is easing up on COVID protocols next trip.

No more contact tracing devices.

Back to self- service at the Pool Grill.

And other non-specified easing of restrictions.

Voluntary masks onboard are few and far between.Not sure if crew will get to shed them.

• Like 11

VIKING PLEASE STOP THE DAILY TESTING!  I mean we will all be required to be vaccinated (totally agree with this measure) so even if we are exposed to covid AND even if we actually contract it we will most likely have minimal symptoms.  We are all taking the risk to travel.  We could get any number of illnesses and have any number of accidents.  The daily testing IMO is so costly.  People with minimal symptoms are being quarantined or sent home.  Being stuck in a cabin for 10 days adds risks- think about it.  You have minimal activity for 10 days- could lead to blood clots, deconditioning,  mental distress etc.  If other countries are requiring this testing for us to dock, well then it must continue but if this is just a viking thing PLEASE stop.  To mask makes so much more sense then this daily testing!

• Like 21

41 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Maybe enough news stories like this one will convince them:

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/lehigh-valley-couple-on-vacation-stranded-overseas-after-covid-test/article_463c0462-bcf8-11ec-87c2-77740c6ee2cd.html

Lehigh Valley couple on vacation stranded overseas after COVID test

Michael and Susan Arnold celebrated their retirement with a Viking River Cruise from Basel to Amsterdam.

The Lehigh Valley couple enjoyed a Black Forest bike ride and a Mercedes tour.

Each day started with a COVID test aboard the ship. That was no big deal for the vaccinated couple, who tested negative before the trip. But on day three, Susan was told by Viking staff she tested positive.

"I said, 'can I please take another COVID test because I don't think you're right,' and he said, 'stay in your room,'" Susan said.

Michael tested negative.  Even so, there was no second test for Susan.

She says Viking staff told her the trip was over, and as soon as she tested negative, the company would send them home.

But until then, they had to quarantine at the Frankfurt Hilton. Susan says when they got there, she counted roughly 127 other frustrated Viking passengers in the same situation.

"These young people who are working on the desk for the hotel, it was really sad, they're getting screamed at by people who want to know when is someone coming and when can I go home," Susan said.

"They basically dumped us here and now we're basically fending for ourselves here," Michael said.

Susan tested negative at the hotel. The couple says despite making dozens of calls to Viking, they haven't heard back.

Rep. Susan Wild, (D)-PA District 7, is looking into the incident.

"What we've got to look at is whether the cruise lines need to have a passenger bill of rights implemented in the same way that the airlines did a number of years ago," Wild said.

The Arnold's have this advice for travelers - get travel insurance, and be aware of COVID travel policies.

Viking did not respond to our request for comment.

How many of the fully vaxxed 127 passengers (many of whom possibly had natural immunity also) required hospitalization?

Viking will lose a catastrophic amount of business if they don't drop all the testing requirements, and they won't attract new business within an increasingly competitive cruising environment. I would bet more people are canceling their cruises because they are more worried about testing positive and being stranded somewhere than they are of contracting serious illness (thanks to vax, therapeutics, natural immunity). IMO, it's time to learn to live with an endemic virus with a known lower overall risk to the vast majority of people - we already know the virus cannot be stopped.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Maybe enough news stories like this one will convince them:

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/lehigh-valley-couple-on-vacation-stranded-overseas-after-covid-test/article_463c0462-bcf8-11ec-87c2-77740c6ee2cd.html

Lehigh Valley couple on vacation stranded overseas after COVID test

Michael and Susan Arnold celebrated their retirement with a Viking River Cruise from Basel to Amsterdam.

The Lehigh Valley couple enjoyed a Black Forest bike ride and a Mercedes tour.

Each day started with a COVID test aboard the ship. That was no big deal for the vaccinated couple, who tested negative before the trip. But on day three, Susan was told by Viking staff she tested positive.

"I said, 'can I please take another COVID test because I don't think you're right,' and he said, 'stay in your room,'" Susan said.

Michael tested negative.  Even so, there was no second test for Susan.

She says Viking staff told her the trip was over, and as soon as she tested negative, the company would send them home.

But until then, they had to quarantine at the Frankfurt Hilton. Susan says when they got there, she counted roughly 127 other frustrated Viking passengers in the same situation.

"These young people who are working on the desk for the hotel, it was really sad, they're getting screamed at by people who want to know when is someone coming and when can I go home," Susan said.

"They basically dumped us here and now we're basically fending for ourselves here," Michael said.

Susan tested negative at the hotel. The couple says despite making dozens of calls to Viking, they haven't heard back.

Rep. Susan Wild, (D)-PA District 7, is looking into the incident.

"What we've got to look at is whether the cruise lines need to have a passenger bill of rights implemented in the same way that the airlines did a number of years ago," Wild said.

The Arnold's have this advice for travelers - get travel insurance, and be aware of COVID travel policies.

Viking did not respond to our request for comment.

A couple of days ago, we had a zoom chat, with a couple taking a Grand European River Cruise, who also had 1 of them test positive on day 3. They were quarantined in a Cologne Hotel.

A brief summary of their experience:

• Crew on the ship were amazing, under very difficult circumstances. They apologised that due to the number of +ve cases they had to send everyone ashore.
  • Every couple was disembarked and provided a single vehicle for each couple for the 2 hr drive to the hotel
  • A Viking rep was available in the hotel daily and offered to provide almost anything reasonable they requested.
  • Once they both tested negative, Viking arranged for flights home.
  • They were very complimentary about Viking's assistance provided.

This is firsthand from experienced Viking cruisers and not a sensationalised report in the media. Both were in the same country, which makes me wonder, how the experiences are so different.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

A couple of days ago, we had a zoom chat, with a couple taking a Grand European River Cruise, who also had 1 of them test positive on day 3. They were quarantined in a Cologne Hotel.

• Crew on the ship were amazing, under very difficult circumstances. They apologised that due to the number of +ve cases they had to send everyone ashore.
  • Every couple was disembarked and provided a single vehicle for each couple for the 2 hr drive to the hotel
  • A Viking rep was available in the hotel daily and offered to provide almost anything reasonable they requested.

This is firsthand from experienced Viking cruisers and not a sensationalised report in the media. Both were in the same country, which makes me wonder, how the experiences are so different.

I’ve heard many stories like the one you share here in other cruise groups. And I’ve also heard many stories like the one shared by the couple in the news story. It seems to depend on where you get quarantined and who’s in charge of your case from Viking. 

Putting 127 people into quarantine onshore all at once would put a strain on anyone’s resources. 

Edited by Twitchly

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On the site that shall not be named, there are several firsthand accounts that report a poor experience with Viking. Communication (or the lack of it) seems like the biggest problem.

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I’ve heard many stories like the one you share here in other cruise groups. And I’ve also heard many stories like the one shared by the couple in the news story. It seems to depend on where you get quarantined and who’s in charge of your case from Viking. 

Putting 127 people into quarantine onshore all at once would put a strain on anyone’s resources. 

The couple we chatted with mentioned the hotel had 120 to 140 Viking River pax in quarantine, with over 20 coming from their ship.

41 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The couple we chatted with mentioned the hotel had 120 to 140 Viking River pax in quarantine, with over 20 coming from their ship.

Wow. So the massive number of Viking passengers quarantined in Frankfurt wasn’t a one-off. 

Been monitoring the roll call board for Grand European as we're going in two months.  Someone aboard the current Skadi sailing reported they began tour with 109 passengers but are now down to low 40's as passengers test positive and are removed.  Another poster reported being disembarked after wife tested positive but husband did not.  Asked for re-test but was denied.  At hotel she tested negative but they weren't allowed to return to ship.  Our sailing was virtually sold out a few weeks ago, now 8 cabins available.  People are concerned about daily testing and don't want to take the risk of being disembarked half way through their tour.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

provided a single vehicle for each couple for the 2 hr drive to the hotel

Yikes...I'd have been a bit nervous at having to do this. 

15 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

People are concerned about daily testing and don't want to take the risk of being disembarked half way through their tour.

Exactly. This is my biggest concern as well. 

20 hours ago, Twitchly said:

when they got there, she counted roughly 127 other frustrated Viking passengers in the same situation.

Just...wow. Gotta stop reading this stuff till after my cruise is over!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Been monitoring the roll call board for Grand European as we're going in two months.  Someone aboard the current Skadi sailing reported they began tour with 109 passengers but are now down to low 40's as passengers test positive and are removed.  Another poster reported being disembarked after wife tested positive but husband did not.  Asked for re-test but was denied.  At hotel she tested negative but they weren't allowed to return to ship.  Our sailing was virtually sold out a few weeks ago, now 8 cabins available.  People are concerned about daily testing and don't want to take the risk of being disembarked half way through their tour.

Of the 70 removed - did any have symptoms? Were any passengers hospitalized? Would any of the passengers pro-actively taken a test if they had no symptoms just because they were curious?

Cancelations will accelerate if this continues. I thought the testing protocols were a good (even a great) idea when cruising got started back up, but now that the virus has gone endemic (since February 2022 or so) with diminished risk the testing has become draconian and anti-consumer.

• Like 9

We are waiting a refund…..I just can’t take the daily testing concern.  I took the $200 penalty.  

I got bronchitis on a Viking river cruise pre covid.  There were many coughing on board.  People were passing it around.  It’s what happens.    Life went on.  We still enjoyed the trip. 

While there’s a slight risk of severe covid, vaccinated and boosted folks are rarely getting very sick.  We are ready to book but will wait.  Until then we’ll cruise with other lines who require a pre cruise test and then let you take your chances.  I’m an adult and can decide what my risk/tolerance is.  

Even the pre cruise testing is meaningless now.  We will be one of the ones who mask to protect ourselves on the way, on planes,  but I guarantee most will not.  It’s going to get on board. Stop the daily testing!  You can’t protect people from everything. 

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

My Eastern Danube May cruise was full. Now 25 cabins show for sale. Similar for other spring dates.
Viking is putting themselves out of business removing guests from ships.
Suggest keep negative test to embark. No onboard test until disembark. Use daily Ocean type temperature tests on river as well to decide if test guests onboard. Might catch folks with norovirus, flu too that way.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 2