Eurodam Cabin 6002

vicnsue

We are interested in Cabin 6002 and have a few questions for anyone that has stayed in this or similar cabins.

My wife requires a wheelchair accessible room and we have not been successful in finding pictures or videos to help answer our questions. So your help would be appreciated.

Was there a lot of cabin movement during high seas?

Is the front wall of the cabin slanted and if so does it make it difficult to move around the cabin? 
Were the ramps going into the bathroom and balcony adequate?

Did you feel like the bathroom room was large enough to accommodate a wheelchair? 
Overall was there enough room in the cabin and balcony for everyone?

Thank you for your help.

Look at halfacts.com where you can look at pictures of cabins sent in by contributors.  There is a cabin similar to it on the Eurodam section.  (6001)

edited to add the url for convenience sake.

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/6001-eurodam/

Edited by StLouisCruisers

1 hour ago, vicnsue said:

We are interested in Cabin 6002 and have a few questions for anyone that has stayed in this or similar cabins.

My wife requires a wheelchair accessible room and we have not been successful in finding pictures or videos to help answer our questions. So your help would be appreciated.

Was there a lot of cabin movement during high seas?

Being at the front of the ship, you will feel movement much more than if you were midship.

Is the front wall of the cabin slanted and if so does it make it difficult to move around the cabin?

I don't have an answer for this question.
Were the ramps going into the bathroom and balcony adequate?

There is no ramp into the bathroom. The ramp to the balcony is quite steep and the swing-open door is very heavy. Balcony access has been greatly improved on Pinnacle Class ships.

Did you feel like the bathroom room was large enough to accommodate a wheelchair?

Yes, I have always had plenty of room to maneuver my wheelchair around in the bathrooms.  
Overall was there enough room in the cabin and balcony for everyone?

Having not been in the cabin, I can't answer this specific question.

While I have not stayed in this exact cabin, I am a full-time wheelchair user and have stayed in many accessible cabins on various HAL ships. I have attempted to answer your specific questions above.

My overall answer is to not book this cabin if other options are available and you have someone in a wheelchair. The cabin is at the extreme forward end of the ship. It can be a long push across the carpet to get to the elevators. You also may run into cabin steward carts in the hallway that prevent you from getting around. They are always happy to move them, but it is an issue.

My biggest issue with this cabin is access to the balcony. The ramps on both sides of the balcony door are very steep. The door is very heavy and is a swing-open door which adds to the frustration. The new Pinnacle Class ships have addressed both of these issue by adding a slide-open door with ramps that are much more use friendly.

Hope this helps. I do have photos from all of our cruises that have cabin photos if you are interested in seeing them.

20 minutes ago, 510picker said:

You also may run into cabin steward carts in the hallway that prevent you from getting around. They are always happy to move them, but it is an issue.

Thank you, that never occurred to us. 

Just now, vicnsue said:

Thank you, that never occurred to us. 

Like I said, cabin stewards are always happy to move the carts. A bigger problem is when other passengers leaves scooters in the hallway. Cabin stewards are typically easy to find. Other passengers sometimes aren't. They aren't supposed to leave them in the hallway, but it happens all of the time.

We just came off the Norwegian Joy, a fairly new ship. Our handicap cabin was huge and we are having a hard time accepting something smaller. We are looking at a 10 day Panama Canal, we will have to come to terms with the situation and choose something. 

34 minutes ago, 510picker said:

Hope this helps. I do have photos from all of our cruises that have cabin photos if you are interested in seeing them.

You might consider contributing the cabin photos to HalFacts so that they might benefit more people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You might consider contributing the cabin photos to HalFacts so that they might benefit more people.

I sent them photos before and they never used them, so I never bothered again. I use cruisedeckplans.com when researching ship and cabin information.

4 hours ago, 510picker said:

While I have not stayed in this exact cabin, I am a full-time wheelchair user and have stayed in many accessible cabins on various HAL ships. I have attempted to answer your specific questions above.

My overall answer is to not book this cabin if other options are available and you have someone in a wheelchair. The cabin is at the extreme forward end of the ship. It can be a long push across the carpet to get to the elevators. You also may run into cabin steward carts in the hallway that prevent you from getting around. They are always happy to move them, but it is an issue.

My biggest issue with this cabin is access to the balcony. The ramps on both sides of the balcony door are very steep. The door is very heavy and is a swing-open door which adds to the frustration. The new Pinnacle Class ships have addressed both of these issue by adding a slide-open door with ramps that are much more use friendly.

Good insight re: the cabin.  I have been in a similar HC location on another ship and the balcony ramp which I did not need was a tripping hazard for me and the balcony was very small.  The forward window was nice to have.  We didn’t have any issues with obstructions in the corridor.   It was a long walk to the aft dining room.  The stateroom and the bathroom were huge.  

HALfacts has always displayed my photos.  I think some photos are not accepted because of the format.  I’m no expert on computers so can’t help there.  I really appreciate the information offered on HALfacts.

• Like 1