HAL updating Alaska/Canada Protocols Again?

AryMay

I have copies of the HAL Alaska/Canada Health protocols dated April 12, April 11, and an earlier version with no date. Now when I go to the download link I get the following message. From the file name it looks like an April 19th version is coming. Has anyone else been able to open this document to see if there are any changes? (I suspect and hope it clarifies some of the confusion around using the ArriveCAN app.)

Resource at '/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0419-alaska-canada-health-protocols-.pdf' not found: No resource found

Cannot serve request to /content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0419-alaska-canada-health-protocols-.pdf on this server

I don't have any idea about when HAL will update their protocols, but perhaps they are revamping to  address the confusion regarding unvaccinated children who are sailing. RCL and NCL both updated Alaska protocols about two weeks ago to specifically include unvaccinated children, being very clear that they are welcome on Alaska sailings, but will need to undergo additional tests along the way. 

1 minute ago, rsldonk said:

Not sure about the protocols but I'm starting to have some big issues with VeriFLY.  Anyone else have people like drop off the reservation?

I don’t think VeriFLY is worth the trouble. It will maybe save you 10 minutes at the port , it’s not required 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

I can open the 4/19 PDF (4/19 is in the file name) with no problem but the document has the 4/12/2022 date at the bottom.  

Same here. This link will download it immediately to a device (from page of origin here: on https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html )

I just looked at the Hal protocols and the Government of Canada Travel site.  It seems that they have cleared up the confusion around the Antigen test.  Originally the Minister of Transport said it had to be taken within one day of embarkation, even though the HAL site said 2 days.  Now the Government website is saying 2 days as well.  Not only that, it can be taken anytime during the two days rather than 48 hours.  Much easier for those traveling from out of town or out of country.

• Thanks 1

I see the FAQ's on HAL's website were just updated today (April 21) and now match what the Canadian government was requiring for cruises that either originate in Canada OR begin in the U.S. but are stopping at a Canadian port. 

I had called my PCC over a week ago pointing out the difference in timing but was still told If we boarded in Seattle we could test (either PCR or Antigen) up to 3 days in advance. I also watched a live stream on Seth Wayne's Facebook page this week and that was the information presented then as well. For those of us on the first Alaska cruises of the season, this news is coming rather late. Now I'm anxious to see if HAL will email everyone to make SURE they are aware of the changes...

Here is the testing guideline updated today. There are other updates as well.

(Updated) How far in advance do I need to be tested for COVID-19 before my cruise’s departure?

Guests embarking in a Canadian port OR a U.S. port that includes Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged 2 and older are required to take either an antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation or PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation.  

Guests embarking from a U.S. port that does not include Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged two and older who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their antigen or PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to sailing. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 antigen or PCR test within 2 days prior to sailing. The test may be taken on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

• Like 1

And to add for clarification since some people were claiming that there were no exceptions to the Canadian vaccination requirement. Guests 12 and under are exempt from mandatory vaccine and allowed to cruise with additional testing. This is exactly what the other mainstream lines have done. 

image.png.28123191230a93649cef2a0a9099f85e.png

One more thing...

I will also point out that the PDF file of HAL's Health & Safety Guidelines for Alaska & Canada/New England Cruises that is currently still on the website is the OLD information dated April 12. I assume (and hope) this will be updated soon.

CRUISES ORIGINATING IN U.S. PORTS: Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their COVID-19 PCR or medically observed antigen test within 3-days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing. CRUISES ORIGINATING IN CANADIAN PORTS: Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing. Canadian guests will need to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of embarkation

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

And to add for clarification since some people were claiming that there were no exceptions to the Canadian vaccination requirement. Guests 12 and under are exempt from mandatory vaccine and allowed to cruise with additional testing. This is exactly what the other mainstream lines have done. 

image.png.28123191230a93649cef2a0a9099f85e.png

But the exemption is not automatic, it needs to be applied for and approved. And  exemptions are limited and not guaranteed. 

25 minutes ago, lderochi said:

But the exemption is not automatic, it needs to be applied for and approved. And  exemptions are limited and not guaranteed. 

I believe you are wrong. There is no exemption requirement for children sailing who are under 12. Children who are under 12 are welcomed onboard w/ additional testing. There is absolutely no mention of children under 12 being required  file for exemption. 

image.png.a8bcaf6420a808e430dd6f74b0499c29.png

On 4/20/2022 at 4:57 PM, rsldonk said:

Not sure about the protocols but I'm starting to have some big issues with VeriFLY.  Anyone else have people like drop off the reservation?

It seems to have some issues. I found I have to add my companions first and then add myself. Also a lot of it just doesn’t work until a couple days out. Once I hit the 2.5 day window for my cruise I had no problem and everything got approved within a few minutes. Whether or not it’s worth it remains to be seen (I think we have less than 200 embarking tomorrow so probably not the best example to test with) 

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe you are wrong. There is no exemption requirement for children sailing who are under 12. Children who are under 12 are welcomed onboard w/ additional testing. There is absolutely no mention of children under 12 being required  file for exemption. 

image.png.a8bcaf6420a808e430dd6f74b0499c29.png

I think this was the update. I’m pretty sure I saw that it had to be applied for previously but now don’t see any mention of that on the website. 

4 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I think this was the update. I’m pretty sure I saw that it had to be applied for previously but now don’t see any mention of that on the website. 

That makes sense and what I suggested in post #3. I have no idea what the Hal site said previously, but all other lines recently updated Alaska requirements to add the work around allowing children under 12 to be able sail unvaccinated. 

• Like 1