ArriveCan CONFUSED 🫤

debnrick

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

NCL is silent on ArriveCan right now as well.  I'm boarding a NCL cruise in NY in a couple of days; it visits Halifax before crossing the Atlantic.  NCL has not provided any heads up for the need to fill out an ArriveCan form, but I filled one out anyway.  

34 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Maybe they’ve forgotten Halifax has the same rules as Victoria and Vancouver?  I bet they’ve been so worked up trying to sort out all the multitude of Alaska itineraries that they’ve completely forgotten about the comparatively few East Coast stops…

What is your itinerary, @bookbabe? Is it possible that NCL is only considering ArriveCAN for cruises that terminate in Canada, not those that simply have a port of call?

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

What is your itinerary, @bookbabe? Is it possible that NCL is only considering ArriveCAN for cruises that terminate in Canada, not those that simply have a port of call?

Nope, I’m round trip Seattle.  lol   Booked on purpose so that I’d get to cruise even if our government hadn’t let ships in yet.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, debnrick said:

Just yesterday, I saw the word ARRIVECAN. I clicked on it and now OMG, I am so confused. Have not heard of this before. 

We are cruising round-trip from San Francisco with our last port stop (day before arriving back) being Victoria, Canada AND we are taking the White Pass Rail excursion in Skagway. I have seen absolutely nothing in my booking where it states we would have to do anything with ArriveCan. It’s not listed anywhere that I can find. Sooooo, until Carnival lets me know this is required, do I just not worry about it?????? I would think Carnival would have notified us somewhere within the booking process that this would be necessary. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Sure don’t want to fly in to San Francisco and attempt to board and them say “show us ArriveCan information” and we have nothing and can’t board.  Hard enough with all of the ever changing Covid rules. 🤯

John Heald has updated.  ArriveCAN is required but they are following Canada’s rules now and you can test 72 hours ahead if you use PCR/Naat85AA10AC-62F3-436B-9ED5-7DA15CF97911.thumb.png.ece0bbbc76ed96f6cb3a02b0e37dbbf6.png

43 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Nope, I’m round trip Seattle.  lol   Booked on purpose so that I’d get to cruise even if our government hadn’t let ships in yet.

Well, so much for that theory! 🤷‍♂️

Finally aboard the ship, sitting on the cabin balcony. Whew.

I can confirm that ArriveCAN is needed to get off the ship in Halifax. I can also confirm that NCL did not communicate this to passengers on this cruise in advance, and that NCL waited until people were in long snaking lines at the cruise terminal in NY before they sprung it on them. People were really unhappy about this lapse, and it caused s lot of delay and anxiety within the terminal.

I printed out a hard copy of my ArriveCAN receipt and, on instinct, had it on hand along with my cruise documents when I entered the terminal. It proved to be a golden ticket, allowing me to bypass many hundreds of people in line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I can confirm that ArriveCAN is needed to get off the ship in Halifax. I can also confirm that NCL did not communicate this to passengers on this cruise in advance, and that NCL waited until people were in long snaking lines at the cruise terminal in NY before they sprung it on them. People were really unhappy about this lapse, and it caused s lot of delay and anxiety within the terminal.

I printed out a hard copy of my ArriveCAN receipt and, on instinct, had it on hand along with my cruise documents when I entered the terminal. It proved to be a golden ticket, allowing me to bypass many hundreds of people in line.

Wow.  NCL really dropped the ball on that one.  Happy to hear you got the golden ticket!

On 4/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, 1kaper said:

Really?  We flew home April 3rd and no one even looked at it or asked about it. Same with our September trip. 

Not sure if it was because we were flying United ....my brother left a couple of days before us....flying Air Canada...did NOT HAVE IT DOWNLOADED...they asked hi to go in another line and fill out a form...go figure

Edited by susan1957

3 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Thanks for this update. I expect a similar sh”&@$ow rboarding NCL Dawn on Thursday. 

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

Not sure if it was because we were flying United ....my brother left a couple of days before us....flying Air Canada...did NOT HAVE IT DOWNLOADED...they asked hi to go in another line and fill out a form...go figure

Flew April 1st on Air Canada from Heathrow and they had people going through the queue looking to see everyone’s ArriveCAN receipt before we got to check-in.   I wouldn’t want to encounter a grumpy CBSA Officer at the other end if I hadn’t filled one out, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Finally in London with decent wifi and able to follow with Canadian-centric comments on aspects of the 14 day transatlantic cruise that I disembarked from today.  Ship capacity ~4,500 passengers and ~1,500 crew. 

Actual number of passengers: 1,560.  No line-ups once on board, no jostling for dinner reservations, no waiting to be served at the bar.  Awesome. 

The sailing I was on was the first cruise ship to visit Halifax, NS in 2.5 years. It was local news.  I got interviewed by Radio Canada as I was about to reboard the ship after visits to Peggy's Cove and Joe Fresh. 

Throughout the duration of the cruise, I wore a mask in all public areas when not eating or drinking. I was one of very, very few passengers wearing any kind of mask, and I also often noticed a lapse in hand hygiene among pax (e.g. in the public washrooms and at the entrance to the ship's buffet area - yuck!)  so I was quietly cautious and diligent. I'm continuing on in Europe for a number of weeks and don't want to become ill or a vector for illness. 

Pax generally seemed over Covid and its protocols -- like the last two+ years never happened.  A couple of new acquaintances wanted to shake my hand.  Might have well asked to lick my forehead. I inadvertently recoiled at the offer!

At ports of call in Europe (Northern Ireland, Ireland, England, France), few if any masks were worn by coach and taxi drivers,  tourism workers,  retail workers, tourists, locals.  I was surprised by this in France, which is currently a Covid hotspot. 

Can't think of anything else to add right now, but AMA and I will try to answer.

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Hi.  Finally in London with decent wifi and able to follow with Canadian-centric comments on aspects of the 14 day transatlantic cruise that I disembarked from today.  Ship capacity ~4,500 passengers and ~1,500 crew. 

Actual number of passengers: 1,560.  No line-ups once on board, no jostling for dinner reservations, no waiting to be served at the bar.  Awesome. 

The sailing I was on was the first cruise ship to visit Halifax, NS in 2.5 years. It was local news.  I got interviewed by Radio Canada as I was about to reboard the ship after visits to Peggy's Cove and Joe Fresh. 

Throughout the duration of the cruise, I wore a mask in all public areas when not eating or drinking. I was one of very, very few passengers wearing any kind of mask, and I also often noticed a lapse in hand hygiene among pax (e.g. in the public washrooms and at the entrance to the ship's buffet area - yuck!)  so I was quietly cautious and diligent. I'm continuing on in Europe for a number of weeks and don't want to become ill or a vector for illness. 

Pax generally seemed over Covid and its protocols -- like the last two+ years never happened.  A couple of new acquaintances wanted to shake my hand.  Might have well asked to lick my forehead. I inadvertently recoiled at the offer!

At ports of call in Europe (Northern Ireland, Ireland, England, France), few if any masks were worn by coach and taxi drivers,  tourism workers,  retail workers, tourists, locals.  I was surprised by this in France, which is currently a Covid hotspot. 

Can't think of anything else to add right now, but AMA and I will try to answer.

I'm happy to hear that all went well with the TA, those blissfully unaware of the continued presence of COVID notwithstanding. I hope that the rest of your time in Europe goes as well.

Peggy's Cove I understand, but Joe Fresh??? 😇 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

You bet.  I realized that I was woefully underpacked as soon as I unpacked on board.  Joe Fresh saved my ***. 

LOL. So convenient having one just a stone's throw from the terminal. You should have picked up a couple of cooked lobsters in the Superstore while you were there!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. So convenient having one just a stone's throw from the terminal. You should have picked up a couple of cooked lobsters in the Superstore while you were there!

There's no longer a Joe Fresh in the Superstore near the cruise terminal -- the Peggy's Cove bus driver kindly agreed to let me off a couple of blocks away from the Superstore in the north end of the city (Joseph Howe Dr). Worth writing this in case anyone goes looking for Mr. Fresh near the ship...

It was at the north end store, chatting with the Joe Fresh sales staff, that I learned we were the first cruise in. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

those blissfully unaware of the continued presence of COVID notwithstanding.

BTW, here's a really good way to create social distancing from the blissfully unaware: cough.  Can verify. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

There's no longer a Joe Fresh in the Superstore near the cruise terminal -- the Peggy's Cove bus driver kindly agreed to let me off a couple of blocks away from the Superstore in the north end of the city (Joseph Howe Dr). Worth writing this in case anyone goes looking for Mr. Fresh near the ship...

It was at the north end store, chatting with the Joe Fresh sales staff, that I learned we were the first cruise in. 

Ah, things have changed since we moved from Halifax. Even within the last couple of years, as we've stayed at two different AirBnBs in that area during visits and have done our grocery and liquor shopping there, and I'm pretty sure that Joe Fresh was still there.

Take care! 

6 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I’m in Florida pre-cruise. Some guy told me I didn’t have to wear a mask, it’s Florida. I ignored him until he kept going and said “you are not going to die”. I said maybe I’m sick and wearing it for others. 
He said it’s fine, he’s vaccinated. We aren’t going to die. 

i was taken so aback I didn’t say anything. I didn’t bother arguing.  

I can’t believe me wearing a mask bothered someone else so much. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I’m in Florida pre-cruise. Some guy told me I didn’t have to wear a mask, it’s Florida. I ignored him until he kept going and said “you are not going to die”. I said maybe I’m sick and wearing it for others. 
He said it’s fine, he’s vaccinated. We aren’t going to die. 

You don't have to travel to Florida for this type of haranguing. Just ask the hundreds of Ottawa residents who were subjected to this nonsense during the truck occupation and more recently with the Rolling Thunder mob. They are always screaming for "freedom", but that only means freedom for them to do things their way. My response is to simply say "freedom of choice" in a cheerful voice and then to ignore them as you did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broberts said:

Wise. Arguing dogma is never fruitful.

Disagree, the proper New Jersey response is “none of your f******g business”, the most polite response is “if you’re gonna keep talking, you better keep walking”.  Neither of those responses are, technically, arguing. 😀

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Your 'response' was on point. 

What's ironic is that Florida Freedom Dude  instigated an argument over your own freedom to wear a mask. Bet that FFD also wants to limit women's reproductive rights....  but I digress. 

8 hours ago, lderochi said:

Disagree, the proper New Jersey response is “none of your f******g business”, the most polite response is “if you’re gonna keep talking, you better keep walking”.  Neither of those responses are, technically, arguing. 😀

This is the Canadian forum, LOL, where politeness is a lethal weapon.

Stick around and we'll provide training. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

This is the Canadian forum, LOL, where politeness is a lethal weapon.

Stick around and we'll provide training. 

Oh, I like it here. But nothing is more stereotypical than our different reactions to people putting their nose in where they don’t belong. 

Submitted my ArriveCan last evening. Within minutes had the QR code on my phone, and also printed a copy to put with other documents "just in case.". I find it hard to believe that I was so intimidated by the process. Thanks again for all the advice, hand holding, and reassurance.  Now for a negative test result this afternoon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gubby said:

Submitted my ArriveCan last evening. Within minutes had the QR code on my phone, and also printed a copy to put with other documents "just in case.". I find it hard to believe that I was so intimidated by the process. Thanks again for all the advice, hand holding, and reassurance.  Now for a negative test result this afternoon.

That’s reassuring to hear….good luck with your test! 🤞