Is Wifi strong enough to do video-proctored Covid test?

MDTrip

If I buy the upgraded wifi on the last day, will it be enough bandwidth to do the video-proctored Covid test to fly back to the US? I will be on Apex.

I wouldn't count on it but possibly. The upgraded wifi is still very slow and much worse than most other cruise lines unfortunately.  If you have roaming on your cell-phone and you are in port that may be a more reliable option (though potentially expensive). 

Absolutely no way to know. It's definitely not the safest option. If you get disconnected and don't have an extra test to try again, you're done. The other option of doing it through the iLounge sounds like a disaster IMO. Everyone trying to do a video call at ~20 mins per person? No thanks. The safest bet would be to make sure you have cell data coverage in Amsterdam. Wake up early on departure morning and do it then.

• Like 1

On Silhouette now and upgraded one device to stream.  I went through the process until just before going to a live agent and it seemed possible.  But the test obviously is if it can hold a video stream.  Not 100% certain.  Ship is 90% full and so at peak times system is slow.  Better when most are off the ship doing excursions!

2 hours ago, verizon said:

I think the ship is offering the tests for those flying to US on the same day of disembark  with a charge.

Yes, they will sell you the proctored test, but then you need to video connect to the proctor which is the problem, based on Celebrity's WiFi. We have an early flight so it be hard to fit the testing in. We will just have to try to do the test immediately when we have cell coverage. Still a bit stressful.We have an early flight so it be hard to fit the testing in.

Celebrity should offer a rapid test to their guests and print their results for them before disembarkation. Even if we had to pay for it, that's much better than just offering an emed test that we could have just brought ourselves anyway.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ronin23 said:

Really surprised the US is still persisting with testing, many other countries have done away with it.  It’s completely redundant now…

Especially when you consider that we have never, ever required anyone to be tested in order to fly domestically anywhere within our enormous country.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 1:36 PM, MDTrip said:

If I buy the upgraded wifi on the last day, will it be enough bandwidth to do the video-proctored Covid test to fly back to the US? I will be on Apex.

Yes, you should have no problem doing this. I was able to stream video just fine on Apex and the proctored tests require MUCH less bandwidth than Netflix.

I also just did a proctored test on RCCL and their internet might be the worst of any cruise line 😀

You will.be fine.

I think it may depend on location and seas.    We have been streaming non-stop all day due to be isolated in our room after testing positive.   Netflix has been coming through in good quality and no interruptions.    I tried connecting to the testing site just to test it out and no problem connecting. 

Having said that on the TA coming into Southampton we lost both TV and Internet for hours at a time and for a complete day mid-atlantic.

• Thanks 1