Alaska cruise itinerary change

Kennact

3 hours ago, Anung Un Rama said:

Got an email about an itin change this morning but it was only that we are sailing from Seattle an hour earlier (3pm instead of 4pm).  No changes to any of our port arrival/depart times, including Ketchikan. This is for the 8/27 sailing. 

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the changes are only in effect until the end of July.  Maybe by then they expect something to improve?

18 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Do you think that Princess cares what you would prefer?

DON

That was my question.  I think maybe at one point they did care..... not so sure now.

It is obviously not just Princess......this was on the Alaska thread....

As some may have seen, Celebrity Eclipse port times in May have been significantly reduced due to "barnacles on the hull".   The ship has to travel more slowly now and total port time lost is over 13 hours.    This seems to me like something that should have been known and mitigated by Celebrity.  Has anyone heard of other ships having the same issue?  We are set to sail in late July and I'm trying to decide if I should jump ship, cancel or stick it out (if they can correct the issue).

• Like 1

So the new image for the revised itinerary does not show going through the inside passage. Any update on if that has been dropped as well?

Never done Alaska before so not sure if this is a big deal other than they made it part of the description. 

28 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

So the new image for the revised itinerary does not show going through the inside passage. Any update on if that has been dropped as well?

Never done Alaska before so not sure if this is a big deal other than they made it part of the description. 

Still shows Ketchikan and inside passage on the graphic for the itinerary in My Booking.  I really hope they don’t get rid of the inside passage portion.

28 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

ASG07Alg.webp.96a57be82592cd108c43a487c3e3f495.webp

Well, that is disappointing as well.  I wonder why they can't do the Inside Passage.  Would it add that much additional mileage?

48 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Well, that is disappointing as well.  I wonder why they can't do the Inside Passage.  Would it add that much additional mileage?

Wow, missing Ketchikan was bad enough, but missing the amazing Inside Passage, that's crazy. That scenic cruising is one of the highlights of the cruises up there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sjde said:

What is special about the Inside Passage? Other than the seas being calmer I would think. Do they usually do it both directions? 

Straight from the Princess website:

Alaska’s Inside Passage is nothing short of breathtaking. Encompassed by tranquil waters, one moment you can be sailing a wide bay of barrier islands and the next you’re cruising through a narrow waterway flanked by towering forested walls. That’s the splendid spectacle of these serene landscapes — the scenery is constantly changing, from picturesque shores to friendly coastal towns.

It was usually sailed from Ketchikan to Victoria.  Since there is land mass on both sides, it didn't matter which side of the ship your cabin was on, you could see some very pretty scenery.  Alaska is so beautiful, you just want to see all of that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

The May 7 itinerary just changed again … will see where we end up lol. 

I started a live 😃

7A5110AE-9D60-4226-A5C8-A487282D7382.jpeg

OH MY!! How do you feel about it?
So now, magically they can get to Ketchikan but not Juneau or Icy Strait Point? 
What's the next announcement going to be?  "We're going to Victoria and returning to Seattle after"??
Yikes!

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, suzyed said:

OH MY!! How do you feel about it?
So now, magically they can get to Ketchikan but not Juneau or Icy Strait Point? 
What's the next announcement going to be?  "We're going to Victoria and returning to Seattle after"??
Yikes!

This is my 4th time and this is changing our plans so a bit frustrating but I know Princess wouldn’t do this unless they had no other option. 

They sent an offer to at least some people offering to move over to another cruise. I don’t know how many did or if you still can. We are still going to Glacier Bay..at the moment anyway lol and that is an amazing experience. I’ll ride it out and have fun no matter what. 

im packing my patience and some chocolate 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

This is my 4th time and this is changing our plans so a bit frustrating but I know Princess wouldn’t do this unless they had no other option.

They sent an offer to at least some people offering to move over to another cruise. I don’t know how many did or if you still can. We are still going to Glacier Bay..at the moment anyway lol and that is an amazing experience. I’ll ride it out and have fun no matter what. 

You have a great attitude!!  
DH and I have been twice to Alaska.  We don't  sail until July 9th but we are taking family members who have never been to Alaska so I feel like they are not getting the great Alaskan experience we had or one that we excitingly led them to believe they were getting.
 It's a celebration cruise for DH's birthday and we really don't want to move it to another date.  Our adult "kids" are looking at the cruise as an opportunity to relax and unwind from their busy lives and jobs.  I'm just sad that they won't have the wonderful Alaska experience we have had in the past.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

I do hope that Glacier Bay stays for your sake.  Not much time to do anything in Victoria other than Princess being able to check the PVSA box.  Enjoy your chocolate - you've got a great attitude!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suzyed said:

You have a great attitude!!  
DH and I have been twice to Alaska.  We don't  sail until July 9th but we are taking family members who have never been to Alaska so I feel like they are not getting the great Alaskan experience we had or one that we excitingly led them to believe they were getting.
 It's a celebration cruise for DH's birthday and we really don't want to move it to another date.  Our adult "kids" are looking at the cruise as an opportunity to relax and unwind from their busy lives and jobs.  I'm just sad that they won't have the wonderful Alaska experience we have had in the past.

I’ll be honest with you. If this is their first time, I’d change to the other ship if your priorities are the ports. If your top priority is Glacier Bay then based on current info… I’d stay on the Crown. If the problems continue, the Crown may end up having to dry dock early. If this was my first time to Alaska, I’d be more upset. Alaska is amazing and I could come up every year. If you keep the Crown cruise and the ports don’t go to plan, or Even if they do, I hope you can come back again . It’s a beautiful place 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pkt1976 said:

I’ll be honest with you. If this is their first time, I’d change to the other ship if your priorities are the ports. If your top priority is Glacier Bay then based on current info… I’d stay on the Crown. If the problems continue, the Crown may end up having to dry dock early. If this was my first time to Alaska, I’d be more upset. Alaska is amazing and I could come up every year. If you keep the Crown cruise and the ports don’t go to plan, or Even if they do, I hope you can come back again . It’s a beautiful place 

I'm not moving unless they ultimately cancel it and we're forced to. Too much of a hassle to change our air arrangements to different dates and higher prices. 
I booked this one because we have loved the Crown the previous 4-5 times we have been on her and mostly for Glacier Bay! And we have cabins on the stern which we LOVED on our previous Alaska cruises and we're excited about that!
I just hope we don't get stuck out there at some point.  We've been there done that while on the Coral in S. American when covid broke out!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I'm not moving unless they ultimately cancel it and we're forced to. Too much of a hassle to change our air arrangements to different dates and higher prices. 
I booked this one because we have loved the Crown the previous 4-5 times we have been on her and mostly for Glacier Bay! And we have cabins on the stern which we LOVED on our previous Alaska cruises and we're excited about that!
I just hope we don't get stuck out there at some point.  We've been there done that while on the Coral in S. American when covid broke out!!

Glacier Bay is incredible. I hope the Crown is all sorted out for you by then! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

Glacier Bay is incredible. I hope the Crown is all sorted out for you by then! 

Thanks! Even if it's not, it will be good!
We've got a GREAT bottle of Champagne to celebrate with the first night!

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

I want to wish very good luck to those of you who are sailing tomorrow!  Hope all goes well and you have a safe and fun experience! Keep us updated and let us know how it's all going!
Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pkt1976 said:

The May 7 itinerary just changed again … will see where we end up lol. 

I started a live 😃

7A5110AE-9D60-4226-A5C8-A487282D7382.jpeg

Looks like you are on a 7 day cruise w only 2 ports.

DON

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Looks like you are on a 7 day cruise w only 2 ports.

DON

There are 3… at the moment anyway. Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria. No juneau and no Icy Straight 

1 minute ago, pkt1976 said:

There are 3… at the moment anyway. Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria. No juneau and no Icy Straight 

Consider the port times - only a few hours in Ketchikan; most of the day in Skagway except that ypu arrive late; the typical couple of hours in Victoria.  Do I have the times right?

DON

34 minutes ago, sjde said:

Was anyone else originally booked on the Emerald Princess like us and got switched to the Crown?

Yes, we originally booked Emerald for 2020

• Like 1