Alaska cruise itinerary change

Kennact

On 4/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, brisalta said:

I suggest you read this thread:

OK , what's your point? If you have one, just say whatever it is. Don't just direct me to a 4 page thread about heat exchangers. Is there something in there that makes one believe my suspicion that expensive repairs might have been delayed during the Covid shutdown due to financial pressures are definitely incorrect?

My suspicion may well be incorrect. But you saying "Read this long thread" isn't enlightening as to why it is incorrect.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Just now, Earthworm Jim said:

OK , what's your point? If you have one, just say whatever it is. Don't just direct me to a 4 page thread about heat exchangers. Is there something in there that makes one believe my suspicion that expensive repairs might have been delayed during the Covid shutdown due to financial pressures are definitely incorrect?

My suspicion may well be incorrect. But you saying "Read this long thread" isn't enlightening as the why it is incorrect.

If you want to know what happened and why and that it is a multi-day job to fix it and has to be done at sea then read if not do not bother.

On the other hand I have heard earthworms do not know how to read.

Just now, brisalta said:

If you want to know what happened and why and that it is a multi-day job to fix it and has to be done at sea then read if not do not bother.

I never made any mention of whether it was a hard or easy job or anything of the sort. My post merely suggested that the cruise line's financial distress during Covid could have had an impact on whether they fixed it or not.

Typically, when one responds to a post they address the subject discussed in that post. Not an irrelevant non-sequitur to the point at hand.

8 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I never made any mention of whether it was a hard or easy job or anything of the sort. My post merely suggested that the cruise line's financial distress during Covid could have had an impact on whether they fixed it or not.

Typically, when one responds to a post they address the subject discussed in that post. Not an irrelevant non-sequitur to the point at hand.

If you are too lazy to read I cannot help you. If you just want to spread rumours that is on you.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

😲

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snate said:

I am on the Crown in July.  They finally updated the excursions page for Icy Strait Point for our cruise.  There are only 6 excursions.  The zip rider is not listed so I was wondering if anybody had any idea why that wouldn't be included. Also, for the zip line/ropes course and the whale watching it shows 20 tickets remaining.  It shows a much bigger boat for the whale watching so does the Princess website just show 20 tickets remaining even if there are 100 seats left?  They still haven't updated the Juneau excursions so I still have no idea if the whale watch we have in Juneau is going to happen since our excursion time is before we arrive now.  Also I haven't gotten my refund for my Ketchikan excursions.  Very poor customer service at this point.

I'm on the crown in July as well and just pulled up the page after reading your post while there is now a link for excursions when you click on it I get this message. 

"There are no excursions for this port at the moment.

Please check back later" 

15 hours ago, Snate said:

Also, for the zip line/ropes course and the whale watching it shows 20 tickets remaining.  It shows a much bigger boat for the whale watching so does the Princess website just show 20 tickets remaining even if there are 100 seats left? 

Princess always lists 20 available for excursions if there are 20 or more spaces remaining, no matter how many more than 20 are available.

The only time you will know for sure the true number remaining is when the number is less than 20.

11 hours ago, Skm52674 said:

I'm on the crown in July as well and just pulled up the page after reading your post while there is now a link for excursions when you click on it I get this message. 

"There are no excursions for this port at the moment.

Please check back later" 

Ours is in June and has been saying that until this morning, now we have excursions to book.  However, one of our booked excursions in Skagway has been removed.  No idea if it's been canceled, no email, nothing.  Just no longer displays.  Will be calling to get more info.

Edited by jk04

42 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Ours is in June and has been saying that until this morning, now we have excursions to book.  However, one of our booked excursions in Skagway has been removed.  No idea if it's been canceled, no email, nothing.  Just no longer displays.  Will be calling to get more info.

Excursions showed up for me today as well. Did your Skagway excursion have to do with the white pass railroad? We were booked for the train and suspension bridge excursion and while it was still listed under my booked excursions the link no longer worked. I figured out through my own research it was likely canceled because the railway isn't running into Canada this summer. However I've heard NOTHING from princess about it.

I'm incredibly frustrated with their lack of communication, I never even got a formal email letting me know about the engine problems causing the port change, just an upbeat email about my exciting new port change. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:29 AM, JeffT237 said:

We will definitely try and post about the experience, I'm sure many future passengers on this sailing have concerns.  We were supposed to do the Tracy Arm Fjord in Juneau but could not get an answer if they were going to do a shortened excursion or adjust the time to accommodate. As I said before we never got an answer so we cancelled on our own and will try and reschedule onboard if anything is available. I fear the excursion desk will be overwhelmed onboard. We'd consider booking private but with a potential propulsion issue my concern is we miss or get in late and having to pay in full to a private operator and risk not being able to get a refund is not the option we want to choose.  

This is our first Princess and first Alaska cruise. We chose Princess strictly because of Glacier Bay.  We are going with an open mind and we are excited. We tend to make the most of whatever comes our way. Disappointed? A bit. We are frustrated with Princesses communication. It has been bad so far, IMO.  Having sailed RCI and Carnival, I feel they are all more similar than they are different. We do enjoy the Oasis class RCI ships, many do not. I like the innovation of the ships, the entertainment, the speciality dining and the crew/staff are always great.  I bet all cruise lines are off their game a bit with the start up. 

This would certainly cause most anyone to be possibly a more than a bit put out.  Easier for those who are not involved to have a softer point of view.  IF there is a silver lining in all this is going at a slower pace through Glacier Bay would be a good thing providing they don't stop short of the Marjorie glacier.....and I am aware that they never go at a rapid pace through the bay with the ranger on board

4 hours ago, Skm52674 said:

Excursions showed up for me today as well. Did your Skagway excursion have to do with the white pass railroad? We were booked for the train and suspension bridge excursion and while it was still listed under my booked excursions the link no longer worked. I figured out through my own research it was likely canceled because the railway isn't running into Canada this summer. However I've heard NOTHING from princess about it.

I'm incredibly frustrated with their lack of communication, I never even got a formal email letting me know about the engine problems causing the port change, just an upbeat email about my exciting new port change. 

We just got an Emergency Notification email from Princess that our shore excursion was cancelled.  This was for the Burro Creek Waterfall Retreat & Crab Feast.  They gave 'operational reasons' for the cancellation.

You didn't get the email on 04/27 (date on our email) about the itinerary change?  In that it said 'due to scheduled engine maintenance.....'.  We also got the 'hey, here are the wonderful things you can do in Icy Strait Point' as well.

I don't know that we can really blame Princess if a vendor cancels an excursion.  And, the questions with the White Pass Railroad has been a mess.  But, I do agree, Princess could have sent some sort of communication.  Even if you don't have all the answers, just letting the Customers know about possible issues and will provide updates when available.  However, that doesn't always work out well either causing more problems instead.

Edited by jk04

4 hours ago, Skm52674 said:

We were booked for the train and suspension bridge excursion and while it was still listed under my booked excursions the link no longer worked.

I hope you are able to do this excursion, it is really very enjoyable and the scenery is breathtaking.  I don't remember which parts are in Canada and which are not since that was not a concern on our last Alaska cruise.

3 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

IF there is a silver lining in all this is going at a slower pace through Glacier Bay would be a good thing providing they don't stop short of the Marjorie glacier.....and I am aware that they never go at a rapid pace through the bay with the ranger on board

We stuck with Crown for Glacier Bay.  But I am worried as well that they won't make it all the way to Marjorie.  Hopefully they have accounted for that in their timing (though Glacier Bay's time hasn't changed) and we will get the full tour.

48 minutes ago, BobbySu said:

We stuck with Crown for Glacier Bay.  But I am worried as well that they won't make it all the way to Marjorie

Any idea what the typical speed is in Glacier Bay?  That would be really unfortunate if we could not see and experience all of Glacier bay as first timers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

Any idea what the typical speed is in Glacier Bay?  That would be really unfortunate if we could not see and experience all of Glacier bay as first timers.

I don't know the speed but remember we got to Marjorie fairly early in the morning.  We sat with the port side of the ship facing the glacier for a while, did a slow spin, then starboard had their view.  After that, I seem to remember we left that area and went up a couple of other channels with smaller glaciers?  But, I could be wrong.  If that is the case, maybe some time can be saved by not doing one of the smaller viewings.  I would prefer to give that up to make sure we are able to spend enough time at Marjorie.

Edited by jk04

They went up other channels years ago.  Now they cannot enter without the Park Rangers on board.  Seals having pups was the main reason.  They do stop on the way out at several other tidewater glaciers on the way out however.  Great Great place to go.  Our last thirteen years, with the exception of covid, we have gone to Glacier Bay.  This year my loving wonderful wife wanted to go on the newer ship so we had to forgo Glacier Bay National Park. I was wondering if we made the correct decision until I found out this unfortunate news.

3 hours ago, jk04 said:

I don't know the speed but remember we got to Marjorie fairly early in the morning.  We sat with the port side of the ship facing the glacier for a while, did a slow spin, then starboard had their view.  After that, I seem to remember we left that area and went up a couple of other channels with smaller glaciers?  But, I could be wrong.  If that is the case, maybe some time can be saved by not doing one of the smaller viewings.  I would prefer to give that up to make sure we are able to spend enough time at Marjorie.

Don't you wish we could inform Princess of our "druthers" for how to proceed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Do you think that Princess cares what you would prefer?

DON

Well they should. They are in the customer service business aren't they?

• Like 2

Got an email about an itin change this morning but it was only that we are sailing from Seattle an hour earlier (3pm instead of 4pm).  No changes to any of our port arrival/depart times, including Ketchikan. This is for the 8/27 sailing. 

• Like 1

We managed to cancel our Crown Princess' July booking and booked on the Discovery Princess instead. As we had cancelled under the Cruise with Confidence policy, they held back the deposit amount (the cancellation fee) as an FCC which won't show up on our account for 30 days.

As a result, we had to pay that amount on our CC for now for our new booking.

I was told thought that I can call back in anytime before sailing once that FCC shows up and apply it to the new sailing and then get a refund back on our CC.

Hope this info helps anyone who is thinking of switching. 

55 minutes ago, Anung Un Rama said:

Got an email about an itin change this morning but it was only that we are sailing from Seattle an hour earlier (3pm instead of 4pm).  No changes to any of our port arrival/depart times, including Ketchikan. This is for the 8/27 sailing. 

Same here. We are on the 8/6 sailing. 

Edited by MrBreeze