Passport

BOOFER9

31 minutes ago, BOOFER9 said:

Has anyone just used a Passport Card for a cruise in the Caribbean ?

Yes, we used them on the Regal the first year they came out. It was comical seeing the reaction from security that had never seen them 🤣

You should be aware that even if you can get on the ship with a passport card, if for some reason you have to leave the ship early and fly home, a passport card is insufficient for that purpose.

Also, check your itinerary. Some countries in the Caribbean now require actual passports for entry. If those are on your itinerary you will be denied boarding at embarkation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

You should be aware that even if you can get on the ship with a passport card, if for some reason you have to leave the ship early and fly home, a passport card is insufficient for that purpose.

Also, check your itinerary. Some countries in the Caribbean now require actual passports for entry. If those are on your itinerary you will be denied boarding at embarkation.

5 hours ago, skynight said:

Always best to carry your passport. No guessing then

Indeed, we used it for the one cruise, then after that we let it expire when we got the book. I decided we are getting older and don't want to chance getting somewhere without the book.

• Like 3

I always view the passport card similar to traveling with a birth certificate.

If you return on the ship there's no problem but if you can't fly back unless you have a real passport.

So why get the card? It's practically worthless when you really need it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you return on the ship there's no problem but if you can't fly back unless you have a real passport.

The Passport Card is useful for people who frequently cross the Canadian and Mexican borders by land.  It's similar to the Enhanced Driver License issued by some border states.  There are many workers who commute by ferry on a daily basis to Freeport, Bahamas to work in the shipyard there.  They return to Fort Lauderdale in the evening and the next morning, they do it all over again.  Since Florida doesn't issue Enhanced Driver Licenses, having a Passport Card makes the daily crossing much easier for them.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The Passport Card is useful for people who frequently cross the Canadian and Mexican borders by land.  It's similar to the Enhanced Driver License issued by some border states.  There are many workers who commute by ferry on a daily basis to Freeport, Bahamas to work in the shipyard there.  They return to Fort Lauderdale in the evening and the next morning, they do it all over again.  Since Florida doesn't issue Enhanced Driver Licenses, having a Passport Card makes the daily crossing much easier for them.

You've got me. My Florida DL looks like it's an enhanced one. It has a gold star in the upper right hand corner. Issued in 3/10/20.

Not that I want or need it.

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You've got me. My Florida DL looks like it's an enhanced one. It has a gold star in the upper right hand corner. Issued in 3/10/20.

What you have is called a “real id” DL.  It is different from an “enhanced DL” which is only issued in some states (Canadian border states? Others?). 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

What you have is called a “real id” DL.  It is different from an “enhanced DL” which is only issued in some states (Canadian border states? Others?). 

Thanks.

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I got passport cards so we’d have another way of getting on the ship if our passports were lost or stolen while we are traveling to the ship.  (3 airports, 2 flights, 2 nights in hotel before cruise)

I carry our passports and DH carries our passport cards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Washington states EDL (Enhanced Drivers License) is REAL ID compliant, but I think we still use/issue both regular DL and the EDL version.

"The enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EID) confirms your identity and U.S. citizenship. It's acceptable for re-entry into the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea border crossing. The EDL/EID is also an acceptable REAL ID document to use for air travel within the United States."  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 2:43 PM, skynight said:

Always best to carry your passport. No guessing then

I think it's a useful form of ID and I use it as my required "government issued identification" when I am off the ship. I prefer to leave my actual passport in the safe in my cabin.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, t&atravel said:

We have them in Michigan as well.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me as to how many ways our fellow citizens go to keep from getting a passport.  It is not that expensive as it is good for 10 years and is the ONLY identification recognized by all nations on the earth.  It is recognized by the two countries on our border (Canada and Mexico).  Other countries do not have this problem nor should we.  

Two weeks past debarked from a Caribbean cruise at Galveston.  Walked off the ship, past a very long slow-moving line without passports, went to the passport line and was out of the terminal in less than 10 minutes.  Really fast now that they use facial recognition instead of having to present a passport.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, satxdiver said:

It never ceases to amaze me as to how many ways our fellow citizens go to keep from getting a passport.  It is not that expensive as it is good for 10 years and is the ONLY identification recognized by all nations on the earth.  It is recognized by the two countries on our border (Canada and Mexico).  Other countries do not have this problem nor should we.  

Two weeks past debarked from a Caribbean cruise at Galveston.  Walked off the ship, past a very long slow-moving line without passports, went to the passport line and was out of the terminal in less than 10 minutes.  Really fast now that they use facial recognition instead of having to present a passport.  

I totally agree about it being super fast but wouldn't it also be a quick with either a passport card or full passport? 

22 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A "Real Id" license will only have a gold star in the top right corner of the license.  A "Real ID" only confirms the identity of the bearer.  An "Enhanced Driver License" will also display a U.S. Flag on the face of the license.  (Some states may have both the gold star and the Flag on an EDL, where others will only display the Flag.)  The EDL not only verifies identity, it also confirms U.S. citizenship.

The following are the only U.S. states that issue EDLs :EDLs are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.  Some Canadian Provinces also issue Canadian EDLs.

In order to have a wallet card that confirms citizenship, the residents of the remaining states and  territories would need to get a passport card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I think the cost is an obstacle since the are not "needed" for so many of the locations that Americans commonly visit.  At $130 for adults and $100 for children with $35 acceptance fees for each application and the cost of photos, it could easily be over $850 added to the cost of a family's trip. For people who don't travel often or who don't travel beyond North America, Mexico and the Caribbean, they may just have other priorities. If we weren't able to travel without a passport it might be different.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I think the cost is an obstacle since the are not "needed" for so many of the locations that Americans commonly visit.  At $130 for adults and $100 for children with $35 acceptance fees for each application and the cost of photos, it could easily be over $850 added to the cost of a family's trip. For people who don't travel often or who don't travel beyond North America, Mexico and the Caribbean, they may just have other priorities. If we weren't able to travel without a passport it might be different.

The passport book is the only form of identification that can be used for air travel back into the US.  In the event of an emergency, an incident where the cruise is cut short and the only way back home is by air travel, you're stuck and then need to deal with the State Department at an embassy which may or may not be located on the island where you are stuck.  Better safe than sorry IMHO.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The passport book is the only form of identification that can be used for air travel back into the US.  In the event of an emergency, an incident where the cruise is cut short and the only way back home is by air travel, you're stuck and then need to deal with the State Department at an embassy which may or may not be located on the island where you are stuck.  Better safe than sorry IMHO.

Yes, I agree. I don’t suppose it’s much different than people who don’t make sure that they medical insurance for travel. It’s not a risk I would take, but it’s a gamble that people choose to take every day. 

• Like 4

We got a Passport Card as we live in Michigan.  We go to Canada a few times a year, if we are close to a border crossing.  Since we carry the card in our wallets, we can cross the border whenever we want.  Don't have to plan ahead and make sure we have our books with us.  

• Like 2