Haven guests: What's been a unique request you've given to your butler?

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I asked him to pop a toga outfit on and feed me peeled grapes on the balcony, he wasn't sure at first but a crisp Benjamin Franklin swung the deal and I had a wonderful afternoon in my golden laurel crown.

Hopefully you wore more than a crown.  🙂

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

In the context of "To Insure Prompt Service", wouldn't the correct phrase be "To Ensure Prompt Service"?

Yep, it's a slow day.  lol    

You are correct.  But it would not fit with the TIPS then.  Not my definition - off the internet.  Slow day here, too.  🤪

• Haha 1

lots to comment on here, but let me start with the word "tip."

TIP is almost certainly not an acronym. very few pre-20th century words are acronyms and "tip" dates back to the 1600s. and, yes, if it were an acronym, it would in fact be "tep," because you are indeed attempting to "ensure" a level of service, not "insure" it. 

but, as pointed out, that makes little sense because tips are almost always given out after service has been provided (with apologies to sthrngary, who is know to "tip" butlers up front).

the word "tip" was used by thieves and beggars as part of a secret language they developed so that others wouldn't know what they were talking about. its original meaning was "to give or to share." over the next hundred years or so, the word somehow transformed to its modern meaning.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tip-sheet/

with regard to the comment that we must remember that - for most butlers - english is a second language... that may be true, but that is probably true of 90% of the ship's crew. in many cases, and particularly in the case of filipino workers, they are chosen specifically because of their english language proficiency. it's the same reason the philippines has taken over as the number one country for outsourced contact centers.  in my experience, most NCL butlers are filipino.

i have spent an extraordinary amount of time in the philippines on business and the folks are very customer service oriented and they will do anything they are asked.... but the request must be explicitly stated. any misunderstandings are usually due to cultural upbringing and not language gaffes. just as with a restaurant server, it's a two way street. the guest must first properly state the request. (this is, perhaps, why gary's recommendations to give a letter or printed list to your butler works so well.)

with regard to a butler's repeated reminders to tip... that's completely inappropriate, in my opinion. the reason it's different than a card on the desk or an envelope with a staff member's name on it is because those things are passive, whereas the butler's comments are aggressive.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

While I do appreciate the comments on tipping our butlers, I do hope we return to the original post of 'unique requests' as I will be taking my 1st haven cruise for my upcoming 25th anniversary. I'm very curious, as the OP posted, what things people have asked their butlers to do.

• Like 2

I had a nasty spill on a pair of slacks I wanted to wear later in the cruise that could have created a permanent stain.  Not only did the butler see that it was cleaned so there was no stain, but I had the slacks back later the same day.

On a different cruise I forgot to pack rechargeable batteries.  I asked the butler if he knew if they had any in the gift shop. He said he'd handle it for me, and returned with enough batteries (from the concierge, at no charge) to last the cruise

I can't imagine asking someone to draw a bath, but I have asked for additional bath salts

On other cruise lines I've needed to ask for extra hangers and/or slack/skirt hangers.  Don't think I've needed them on NCL though.

I've asked for a fan. The background noise is helps me sleep if the hallway is a little noisy or the cabin is near a doorway of elevator

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tgloersen said:

And before you talk about adjusting the daily service charge, i have never ever done that ever even though not all crusies went as planned when it comes to service.  My respons to that, is what i give on top of the DSC doesnt happen at all.  I releize the workers behinds the scenes get tipped from the DSC and its not there fault a cabin stewart doesnt not supply proper service.

Crew in the DSC pool use the DCS money to help them get their wages up to the minimum contract value. If, and only if, they get to their minimum contract value do they start to really earn a gratuity. 

Just like at home. The minimum wage around our parts is $15/hour. But, if you are in a job where you receive tips, your employer can pay you as little as $5/hour. So, that waiter in the corner diner takes the first $10 in tips an hour just to get them up to minimum wage. When people leave lose change or a buck at most, you have to turn a lot of tables just to get yourself to minimum wage, every hour you work.  

Same is true for cruise staff. Most of the DSC is used to get them up to their minimum contract value. 

I’ve had to ask the butler to stop bringing so much food to the cabin!

One time (after filling the bathtub myself and enjoying a lovely bath) I could not figure out how to drain the water and had to ask the butler what to do.  I was embarrassed and didn’t want him to do it, I just needed to know what to do.

On my last cruise before the Covid shutdown, none of my underwear came back from the laundry.  The butler brought a whole basket of (clean) underwear and I pawed through it til I found mine.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rbalfour said:

While I do appreciate the comments on tipping our butlers, I do hope we return to the original post of 'unique requests' as I will be taking my 1st haven cruise for my upcoming 25th anniversary. I'm very curious, as the OP posted, what things people have asked their butlers to do.

A reasonable voice steering the ship back (hopefully) on course!

Edited by Veggie Burger in Paradise
  • Like 3

Okay, back to requests. Likely the most unique thing we have asked from the butler was to be able to stream a home basketball game from our computer to the TV in the suite. We had mistakenly assumed the exposed HDMI port would allow us to do so, so we originally did not do or ask anything, however at game time we found out the port was disabled, so we called the butler. Sadly he said he'd see what he could do. End of the 1st quarter nothing. We called again. Half-time nothing. End of half-time nothing, so we called the concierge. Within 5 minutes we had two ship IT people in our suite to accommodate our request. On that sailing our concierge far out shined out butler as far as trying to make our cruise the best possible. We were traveling with friends and family who had different butlers; in the end the count was 3 to 1 with the satisfaction of the butlers, and most the criticism had to do with the attitude.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, casofilia said:

@mertziek

Tips are intended to reward good service (To Insure Prompt Service) 

I am from New Zealand, originally the UK, so won't start on tipping per se.

Your statement and definition are actually polar opposites.   Rewards come after something has happened but your definition has to be carried out before!!   (Have you ever paid Insurance AFTER something has happened!!)   VBG

Tip them before; reward them after.

Well said !

On 4/30/2022 at 2:23 PM, Ottawa Lynne said:

We ask for the coffee machine and accompaniments to be removed and it always has been. We appreciate the counter space and neither of us drink hot drinks.

This boggles my mind! How can one survive without tea or coffee that is hot? Haha...While I'm awestruck, I'm not bashing you! Just really surprised - so yea this definitely counts as a unique request to me. hahaha

Happy cruising!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

This boggles my mind! How can one survive without tea or coffee that is hot?

LOTS of people don't drink coffee, including me.

only about 50% of the american public drink coffee. that's it. the percentage is even lower when you go global. imagine how lovely it is to hop out of bed every morning without a caffeine-deprivation headache!

more tea is consumed than coffee, with folks from the UK and china leading the pack.

• Like 1

I suppose the requests I made of our butler, on our first ever Haven sailing (less than a month ago) were not unique, except to us.

Here is what we requested and used each day:

- Pillow menu, though this was just providing a memory foam pillow to us. The pillows on the bed did differ so I suppose one could say this is the "pillow menu."

- Mini fridge cleared of items for sale

- Mini fridge filled with a pitcher of iced tea, water, and half pints of milk

- M&M's, at first it was just plain, until I provided the butler letter (thanks @Sthrngary for this very impactful suggestion), then we received peanut M&M's and gummy bears

- Strawberries x 4. These were only served to Haven guests twice, but we mentioned how amazing they were which is why I think we received them 4 times

- BLT and PBJ sandwiches

Here is what we requested, but did not continue or use:

- French Press coffee and a pot of hot tea, along with assorted pastries at 7 AM each morning (after Day 1 I stopped this as the amount of coffee and food was never an issue). Unless one simply eats in their cabin, I do not understand why this is necessary

- I requested Afternoon Tea one day on the cruise, however I eventually decided not to do this - there was just too much food on this cruise. There's no way we need Afternoon Tea along with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and normal snacks

Here is what we did not receive, but did request:

- Nuts, along with the candy mentioned above

- Throw to use while sitting on the balcony

- Stool to put feet up on while on the balcony

What I wish I had requested: Shanghai Noodle Bar room service

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UKstages said:

only about 50% of the american public drink coffee. that's it. the percentage is even lower when you go global. imagine how lovely it is to hop out of bed every morning without a caffeine-deprivation headache!

more tea is consumed than coffee, with folks from the UK and china leading the pack.

Oh I know! Up until I was 30 I didn't drink coffee - it was disgusting and nasty. Now I drink it black...but notice I did mention tea as well. 🙂 I still love my iced tea and a cup of Lapsang Souchong with a bit of cream (never milk) and sugar is just so, so yummy on a wintry day!

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

Lol I’ve been drinking coffee and tea for 40 years, I’ve never experienced a headache when skipping (only a cup or two of coffee per day, but endless unsweetened iced tea).

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Crew in the DSC pool use the DCS money to help them get their wages up to the minimum contract value. If, and only if, they get to their minimum contract value do they start to really earn a gratuity. 

Just like at home. The minimum wage around our parts is $15/hour. But, if you are in a job where you receive tips, your employer can pay you as little as $5/hour. So, that waiter in the corner diner takes the first $10 in tips an hour just to get them up to minimum wage. When people leave lose change or a buck at most, you have to turn a lot of tables just to get yourself to minimum wage, every hour you work.  

Same is true for cruise staff. Most of the DSC is used to get them up to their minimum contract value. 

Not my issue to fight.  You want a tip?  You'll get one just provide me the service.  Period.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Lol I’ve been drinking coffee and tea for 40 years, I’ve never experienced a headache when skipping (only a cup or two of coffee per day, but endless unsweetened iced tea).

A bit off the original topic, but if you have French press coffee delivered in the morning(in the Haven), how large is the pot?  Or can you choose?  Can you get French press in the Haven restaurant?

9 hours ago, cruisingrandy said:

How many rooms does a Butler wait on

On our last cruise our Butler had 24 rooms, the entire aft Haven suites. He had help, but he was 'the' butler. On our previous cruise the butler had 12 rooms.

Also they rotate every few cruises, so one butler doesn't get 'stuck' with a certain set of rooms.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtrancher said:

On our last cruise our Butler had 24 rooms, the entire aft Haven suites. He had help, but he was 'the' butler. On our previous cruise the butler had 12 rooms.

Also they rotate every few cruises, so one butler doesn't get 'stuck' with a certain set of rooms.

Thank you for that insight. That's an astounding fact. 

11 hours ago, sprez33 said:

A bit off the original topic, but if you have French press coffee delivered in the morning(in the Haven), how large is the pot?  Or can you choose?  Can you get French press in the Haven restaurant?

The press we received, same size that is offered in the Haven Restaurant, held enough for 2 - 3 cups of coffee (depending on how many grounds you want in your last cup:-) 

Edited by aaroncstrong
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, aaroncstrong said:

- French Press coffee and a pot of hot tea, along with assorted pastries at 7 AM each morning (after Day 1 I stopped this as the amount of coffee and food was never an issue). Unless one simply eats in their cabin, I do not understand why this is necessary

It's a godsend if you're traveling with an older or physically challenged person who doesn't move fast enough to always make it to breakfast each day but still wants to try (as opposed to just ordering room service outright).   

• Like 1