Thank you

You know, it is an odd feeling, after being home for exactly two weeks now, having just disembarked the Zuiderdam in San Diego on 4/13/2022. It is not the same timeless feeling of floating on an ocean for however many days. It is not the hilarity of seeing the day of the week in the elevator, or seeing someone burst into song or dance on deck. It is not the luxury of not having to cook or clean, or to slip into that perfectly made bed every night. It is not the convenience of that night light illuminating my way to the bathroom as I get up in the middle of the night. It is not the freedom to walk from bed to balcony any time of day or night to see the sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, or watch the wake at the aft of the ship. It is that certain knowledge that I am on an open ocean, being rocked to sleep, riding the waves in the pool, navigating a ping pong table at sea, releasing a shearwater back to the ocean after a night of rest on a ship. It is walking the deck, along a well maintained rail, next to an ocean with flying fish and waves so blue and pristine as if to be miraculous. It is the knowledge that I am in it together with some 1400 souls upon a vessel. We all have our own goal. For some it is to work, for some it is to do nothing, for others it is to get sun, and for us? Well, I suppose it is the relish in the easy comfort of having the ability to be spontaneous. To meet new people, try new food, see new birds, see new fish, see new lands.  
We feel very lucky to have sailed with you. And as we navigate our own territory, I must express my displeasure with the laundry and housekeeping, post cruise, but I am happy to be home. I am trying to remember every cabin steward that made my bed, every person that prepared my food and delivered it. Every crew member who may or may not have been having a glorious day that never once revealed it so in their body language or expression. 
It is a good thing we live somewhere glorious. Otherwise the horizons that we sailed would be a painful memory full of regret for leaving them. Instead we have thousands of pictures and memories of a fabulous 45 nights at sea, and can look forward to another cruise in September, this time once again to Alaska. 
So, thank you, all you cruisers,  for being you. Thank you for always adding to our experience. Thank you for always embellishing our vacation and our experience by just being you. Being on board, and making it fun! Happy cruising! 
Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 35

What a wonderful attitude and insight into the mindset of people who know how fortunate  we are to be among  the truly privileged…….and stated so beautifully Thank YOU! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for a lovely narrative of cruising before and after covid.  I know things have changed but on this sad day, we all should remember the good times we have been on a cruise, with the wind in our faces and the opportunity to meet new and wonderful people. again thank you      Kate  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully said!!!! It was a pleasure to get to know you on the first leg of your 45 days. I will respond to your email. Getting back to “real” life has been a joy but very busy. 
Cheers, Denise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well said, I know how you feel. That's what we feel like after we get home from a cruise, it takes awhile to get back to reality. The memories will be with us for ever in the many pictures we took in far away lands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dchip said:

Beautifully said!!!! It was a pleasure to get to know you on the first leg of your 45 days. I will respond to your email. Getting back to “real” life has been a joy but very busy. 
Cheers, Denise

Hi Denise! It was great getting to know you as well. Keep in touch!

• Like 1

@tuolumne couple  Hi, guys!  I'm with Denise - beautifully written.  Sorry we didn't get to spend more time together but Covid sure put a damper on our being able to enjoy time with new friends.  Don't know what's up next for your cruise plans but hopefully some day our paths will cross again. Stay well!  Barb (and John)  😘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loved the sentiment.  It’s so easy to return from a cruise and get caught up in all the work involved at home.  Thanks for helping me remember all the reasons I love being on a HAL ship!

• Thanks 1