Live from Royal Princess sailing May 2, 2022 for 12 nights rountrip from Vancouver to Alaska

lks

10 hours ago, mrsskyhook said:

Well folks, it's our last night on this cruise, so this live report is going to wind down soon. 

I was very much looking forward to sharing our experience, my husband's quirky humour and some good info with you all. 

While some of that happened, there appeared to be many who just want to argue, even when provided with photographic evidence of what Princess was saying, live, on board Royal Princess in real time.  And/ or argue about ArriveCan, completely ignoring screen shots of the CURRENT process and policies (within 72 hours of boarding a ship leaving Canada if it will return to Canada). I even repeatedly posted a redacted copy of our ArriveCAN receipt and got arguments. 

We truly hoped to help some people with this live review. Hopefully we had some measure of success. 

Best wishes for calm seas and great cruises in your future. 

Linda ... Aka MG

Thank you for your posts!  You helped me as we have some of the same plans for Alaska ports and was nice to see all the photos.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

10 hours ago, mrsskyhook said:

Well folks, it's our last night on this cruise, so this live report is going to wind down soon. 

I was very much looking forward to sharing our experience, my husband's quirky humour and some good info with you all. 

While some of that happened, there appeared to be many who just want to argue, even when provided with photographic evidence of what Princess was saying, live, on board Royal Princess in real time.  And/ or argue about ArriveCan, completely ignoring screen shots of the CURRENT process and policies (within 72 hours of boarding a ship leaving Canada if it will return to Canada). I even repeatedly posted a redacted copy of our ArriveCAN receipt and got arguments. 

We truly hoped to help some people with this live review. Hopefully we had some measure of success. 

Best wishes for calm seas and great cruises in your future. 

Linda ... Aka MG

I truly appreciated and enjoyed your live reporting. Thank you

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Followed your posts as I am boarding for Alaska today, sounds like you had a great trip! 

For others sailing - Re: Covid testing mentioned onboard,  be aware that going forward after the 14th Princess states NO  Covid testing on board for those who need it to fly/return home. You are on your own!

We board when you get off, hopefully you'll report back and things change for the positive. Have a great trip.

Aloha

12 hours ago, lks said:

Disembarkation was simple. Claim luggage, walk out. 

We had spoken to at least parties who were approached by Canada customs and immigration yesterday. One had an outstanding immigration issue she has to clear up. They other had made far more purchases than he declared and he was being required to pay duty on it.  Not sure how his purchases were known to Canada officials, although I do know most of the jewelry he bought was from onboard Riyal Princess

50 minutes ago, mrsskyhook said:

Not sure how his purchases were known to Canada officials, although I do know most of the jewelry he bought was from onboard Riyal Princess

I have read others have been caught with USA customs after spending $$$ on purchases from ship stores and not declaring it all.

1 hour ago, mrsskyhook said:

Disembarkation was simple. Claim luggage, walk out. 

We had spoken to at least parties who were approached by Canada customs and immigration yesterday. One had an outstanding immigration issue she has to clear up. They other had made far more purchases than he declared and he was being required to pay duty on it.  Not sure how his purchases were known to Canada officials, although I do know most of the jewelry he bought was from onboard Riyal Princess

5 minutes ago, phabric said:

I have read others have been caught with USA customs after spending $$$ on purchases from ship stores and not declaring it all.

Could be an honest mistake believing that onboard purchases are duty free.  I don't know for sure myself, but without checking, I thought that they are duty free.  But then again, I'm not a big spender in the stores.

Thank you so much for taking the time from your cruise to share your experiences. I enjoyed reading about your experiences/adventures. I'm getting extra excited for my Discovery cruise in July. 

Thank you again

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this thread!  We had to cancel on twelve hours notice due to a pesky stripe on a pesky test cartridge, but it was nice to see what we missed - especially since many of the photos posted were taken one cabin away from ours!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, phabric said:

I was told/reminded that I still had to declare my jewelry purchases made on board.  All you had to do was declare it.  It was considered duty free ... returning to the US.  I guess it isn't so if disembarking in a foreign port.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Thanks for doing this thread!  We had to cancel on twelve hours notice due to a pesky stripe on a pesky test cartridge, but it was nice to see what we missed - especially since many of the photos posted were taken one cabin away from ours!

I hope you are feeling better now???  We developed nasty coughs overnight, and suspect we will see that same nasty stripe soon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrsskyhook said:

I hope you are feeling better now???  We developed nasty coughs overnight, and suspect we will see that same nasty stripe soon

I certainly hope not!  Thanks so much for your posts.

I had my nasty stripe promptly after getting off Ruby in March.  It’s my DH who nearly died.  Not from COVID, but for causing the cancellation.  We have really enjoyed the undersold cruises so much and love Alaska. 

As for the duty free:  it’s *sold* free of duty and import taxes.  It doesn’t mean that it enters your country of residence (or even the next country you visit) duty-free unless it’s inside your personal allowance.   

• Thanks 1

I hope someone does a total review of this cruise.   I have friends that got off on Sat and have said that the entertainment was awful and every night they had to send food back from the dining room because it was wrong.     FYI, 3 out of the 4 tested positive when they got home.  Lucky they live just outside of Vancouver so they can quarantine at home.     They weren't happy with this cruise.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, phabric said:

When you buy any jewelry on the ship it is reported to customs at port of entry when the cruise ends.

1 hour ago, senior lady said:

I hope someone does a total review of this cruise.   I have friends that got off on Sat and have said that the entertainment was awful and every night they had to send food back from the dining room because it was wrong.   They weren't happy with this cruise.

I have followed this thread and, as with everything in life, you can’t please all the people all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Senga said:

I have followed this thread and, as with everything in life, you can’t please all the people all the time.

I agree totally.  I'm just surprised at my friends.  They have been on the Royal before.   I did warn them that cruising is " much" different these days.   I haven't got any cruises planned for this yr, unless some really good deal comes up.

4 hours ago, senior lady said:

I hope someone does a total review of this cruise.   I have friends that got off on Sat and have said that the entertainment was awful and every night they had to send food back from the dining room because it was wrong.     FYI, 3 out of the 4 tested positive when they got home.  Lucky they live just outside of Vancouver so they can quarantine at home.     They weren't happy with this cruise.

Will post shortly. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
formatting issues

5 hours ago, senior lady said:

Just posted my review. We had a wonderful cruise!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2852795-royal-princess-may-2-alaska-review/#comment-63221321

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, senior lady said:

Well, 3 out 4 tested positive you say.... curios to know, if you are aware if they wore Masks, and tried to adhere to social distancing ? If they didn’t, they gambled and lost. No pity in that case. Now if they did, well, that really sucks, and hopefully the symptoms weren’t to severe.

25 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

Well, 3 out 4 tested positive you say.... curios to know, if you are aware if they wore Masks, and tried to adhere to social distancing ? If they didn’t, they gambled and lost. No pity in that case. Now if they did, well, that really sucks, and hopefully the symptoms weren’t to severe.

actually they wore masks, because one of them was 94.   They were very careful, but started to feel like a cold coming on the last day.  Tested when they got home and 3 were positive.    I'm not sure why you would say  a unkind comment.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, senior lady said:

actually they wore masks, because one of them was 94.   They were very careful, but started to feel like a cold coming on the last day.  Tested when they got home and 3 were positive.    I'm not sure why you would say  a unkind comment.   

No unkind comment intended. It’s simply that to many people on these blogs state that they contracted Covid on a cruise, and yet, the vast majority don’t mask up, or maintain social distancing, so what do they expect. These are the ones that I have absolutely no pity for, and no one should. They brought Covid onto themselves. They were well aware of the precautions they should of taken, and neglected to do so. So it’s on them. 
  As for the your friends who contracted Covid on their cruise, it’s very sad for them, and since they did take precautions, I hope they have a speedy recovery. It’s a horrible disease, but I believe it’ll be around for some time to come. Hopefully your friends will have built some immunity to Covid, and continue to enjoy future cruising.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

So did we! For a first sailing, return-to-cruise, it was great! Slight hiccups were addressed as we went along. We reported a few things, and team members on board did their utmost to help. We met so many crew members that showed up with smiles and grace - so grateful to have contact with passengers that were thrilled to be on board again. As my first return to sail, it was great! Thank you for your review, posted separately. @karatemom2

Thanks to @lksfor posting the live-from, who shared the vacation experience in real time- to benefit others and I hope people reading realize how much time and effort it takes to "post" live! With spotty internet and medallion issues, it isn't always straight-forward. However, we were back on board, cruising because we like it, so we make the best of it; all things considered.

I enjoyed myself on board, and may send out some comments now, from home. Don't you wish we could meet at Crooners with the gang tonight?

Edited by CruzeQueen2
  • Like 1