Covid pre-boarding tests for Europeans coming to the US

Markj

We are on the Bliss out of Seattle on 16th July. So currently need to do a one day test prior to travelling to the US from the UK.

However - we will be arriving in Seattle on 12th July and have a couple of days in Portland and then in Seattle ahead of the cruise. 

Has anyone else planned what to do with regards to the pre-boarding test - which I believe is a PCR test 2 days prior to boarding. We have hotels booked in both Portland and Seattle but obviously have no home address for the US.

if anyone else travelling out to the US for a cruise ahead of the cruise date has any help or useful ideas about the best way to do the test then I would be grateful

Thank you

4 hours ago, Markj said:

We are on the Bliss out of Seattle on 16th July. So currently need to do a one day test prior to travelling to the US from the UK.

However - we will be arriving in Seattle on 12th July and have a couple of days in Portland and then in Seattle ahead of the cruise. 

Has anyone else planned what to do with regards to the pre-boarding test - which I believe is a PCR test 2 days prior to boarding. We have hotels booked in both Portland and Seattle but obviously have no home address for the US.

if anyone else travelling out to the US for a cruise ahead of the cruise date has any help or useful ideas about the best way to do the test then I would be grateful

Thank you

Either a PCR or an antigen test is permitted. You may want to check the West Coast Departures board for advice on obtaining a test while you're in Portland or Seattle.

Of course protocols can change at any time.

Edited by njhorseman

22 hours ago, Markj said:

Thank you

Have you given any thought as to what you would do if you where to test postive and unable to board the ship.

We are on the Spirit 5th August Alaska cruise.  Travelling to the US from the UK on 3rd Aug.. We believe a US entry test dated 3rd Aug. and will be OK, but are more than a little nervous during our one day in Seattle!  Our cruise consultant does not answer emails or her phone so have not really been able to speak to anyone to validate if we will be OK.   

Can anyone offer us some reassurance that we will not need to take another test when in Seattle?

Preorder proctored tests from a site like eMed. We did that for a recent Europe cruise. They're expensive, but your insurer will reimburse you for them. Very easy to take the test over your phone and have a result in 15 min, and it connects to the Navica app that makes it easy to show at the airport. We did ours from a hotel room after we got off the ship, since we were spending an extra day in Italy post-cruise before flying home to the US. 

On 5/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, Bluebrummie2000 said:

We are on the Spirit 5th August Alaska cruise.  Travelling to the US from the UK on 3rd Aug.. We believe a US entry test dated 3rd Aug. and will be OK, but are more than a little nervous during our one day in Seattle!  Our cruise consultant does not answer emails or her phone so have not really been able to speak to anyone to validate if we will be OK.   

Can anyone offer us some reassurance that we will not need to take another test when in Seattle?

You should be fine. We travelled from Dublin April 21 to Orlando &  sailing out of Port Canaveral on Saturday 23rd. We obviously had to get our tests done on the morning we flew in order to be within the time limit for the cruise, so other than a rude awakening for a 4am test for our flight at 9am, all good.

Accepted our emailed Randox results at the port  no problem. 

• Like 1

To the OP, can you bring a permissible certified self test from the UK with you & test yourself there? 

Most readily advertised tests such as Walgreens or CVS are for US citizens with medical insurance that cover these costs.

We had to do something similar in Orlando in February. 

Decided on a last minute on MSC so had to get a test locally. 

Advent health  near our accommodation wanted circa $179, same company at Orlando airport $65. 

I note Seattle airport tests are $69. 

2 hours ago, the wandering two said:

Accepted our emailed Randox results at the port  no problem. 

Was that the ordinary "fit to fly" test which is not video observed, currently £13.50?
It does say they need to be carried out by a professional or via a video but I do wonder how they would know if you have a certificate in your hand.

We are also in the same Situation, we are traveling from Ireland to NY on the 29th Aug spending 3 nights in Manhattan before the cruise. We will have an Antigen before departure  as required in Ireland but will need another one while in the NY to board the NCL Joy and trying to source where to get one is difficult.

13 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Was that the ordinary "fit to fly" test which is not video observed, currently £13.50?
It does say they need to be carried out by a professional or via a video but I do wonder how they would know if you have a certificate in your hand.

We got our tests done  by  Randox in Dublin airport on the morning of the day we flew.

No good to the OP but I was reassuring bluebrummie200 on their situation. 

24 minutes ago, the wandering two said:

We got our tests done  by  Randox in Dublin airport on the morning of the day we flew.

No good to the OP but I was reassuring bluebrummie200 on their situation. 

Thanks for that, I do think you could get away with doing a home test, all they will want to see is that certificate. I think I will try on my July cruise, worst case I have to pay for an NCL antigen in port.

30 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Thanks for that, I do think you could get away with doing a home test, all they will want to see is that certificate. I think I will try on my July cruise, worst case I have to pay for an NCL antigen in port.

Yeah, the OP should certainly look at bringing home tests with them from the uk.

At least in April the one test covered us for entry into the US too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the wandering two said:

Accepted our emailed Randox results at the port  no problem

That is good know we are doing Randox May 19th to Fly 20th and board 21st. I am thinking I might wait around or go back to our randox centre to get the results in person  myself later on in the day. I know they will email and say they will to 1 email or 1 phone but still if something goes wrong it would be a big problem for us.

We are on the 5th June Joy cruise out of NYC. We ordered the Inspire test off the ncl website , it was delivered to the uk in a few days and we have an appointment for a video test to carry out in our hotel in nyc  . So test Thursday at Heathrow, all being well , fly and test again Friday early morning in nyc hotel . Fingers crossed 🤞 

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That is good know we are doing Randox May 19th to Fly 20th and board 21st. I am thinking I might wait around or go back to our randox centre to get the results in person  myself later on in the day. I know they will email and say they will to 1 email or 1 phone but still if something goes wrong it would be a big problem for us.

Needless to say testing at 4am, no queues, had our email result in 30 mins.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the wandering two said:

Needless to say testing at 4am, no queues, had our email result in 30 mins.

We are booked for 1pm for the 1-3 hr pcr in Liverpool 1. We are going to manchester airport hotel via a friends taxi from there but I might wait around because I work close to the centre get the results in my hand a catch a train to manchester airport.

14 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

We used dochq £19.25(loads of discount codes to get that price)

Just need internet/data and a phone or other with mic and camera.

The certificate should say observed or something similar.

Do they check that properly, don't know.

Our check-in at Southampton was a quick glance at name and date.

They did not check vaccination status properly.

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

We used dochq £19.25(loads of discount codes to get that price)

Just need internet/data and a phone or other with mic and camera.

The certificate should say observed or something similar.

Do they check that properly, don't know.

Our check-in at Southampton was a quick glance at name and date.

They did not check vaccination status properly.

Thank you for that, at that price its a no brainer.