Live from the Jewel May 2-16, 2022

Thank you so much for your review! I am enjoying reading all about your adventures on and off the Jewel. 

if possible, I would love to see the back page of one or more of the dailies to see the entertainment options.  We will be on the Jewel next month. Thank you! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rockfsh said:

What was the cost of the Ward Cove shuttle and ho often did it run?

Looks like they were free.  Hopefully they'll still be free for our Bliss sailing later this month.

Following is copy and pasted from post 33 of this thread

"For anyone worried about Ward Cove, let those worries go.  It was a smooth process where we walked up a small ramp and into the former lumber mill that they are trying to Ketchikanize with nature brought indoors, shops for tourists and a woman singing Elvis tunes.  Toward the back of the warehouse are huge signs for your excursion meeting locations and free shuttles to downtown.  Once through the large doors we saw several Grey Line buses ready to transport passengers to downtown.  We had to wait until the bus was half full then enjoyed the 20 minute bus ride.  The bus hugs the coast and goes through industrial, commercial and residential areas.  It drops people off at the Visitor Centre. "

• Like 1

The Jewel is one of my fav ships. We'll be leaving on the Pearl on May 13th to Bermuda.

Question, how do you tip at the restaurants? It used to be way back when that you would sign a receipt and could leave a tip but I haven't seen that in years.

Also, did you attend a muster drill or was the online video at check in enough? 

Enjoy your trip and love the updates! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rockfsh said:

What was the cost of the Ward Cove shuttle and ho often did it run?

The shuttle is free and it runs continuously.  We only waited a few minutes to leave Ward Cove and zero minutes when leaving Ketchikan-we just boarded the bus and it left the pier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tatertotslady said:

Thank you so much for your review! I am enjoying reading all about your adventures on and off the Jewel. 

if possible, I would love to see the back page of one or more of the dailies to see the entertainment options.  We will be on the Jewel next month. Thank you! 

The entertainment options are changing so rapidly that what I post today will be different in June.  The production cast has only done two Velvet shows since they boarded.  I will post the back of tomorrow’s freestyle for you.

44 minutes ago, emilysmom97 said:

The Jewel is one of my fav ships. We'll be leaving on the Pearl on May 13th to Bermuda.

Question, how do you tip at the restaurants? It used to be way back when that you would sign a receipt and could leave a tip but I haven't seen that in years.

Also, did you attend a muster drill or was the online video at check in enough? 

Enjoy your trip and love the updates! 

We tip with cash but not for every meal.  Only when it’s excellent.

The new muster drill process, which most cruise lines adopted, involves the passengers watching a safety video as part of the online check-in process. You will also receive MANY reminder emails before your cruise to watch the short video.  As you board the ship on embarkation day you will be guided/directed/funnelled to your muster station.  Here you check in with a crew member.  They will double check that you know where your muster station is located and confirm you watched the safety video.  Once all guests are on board the cruise director will go through safety procedures on the PA system but you don’t need to assemble for a second time.  Just stop and listen.  It’s a way better process!

• Like 1

Day 6

Glacier Bay National Park

Another early morning, but so, so worth it.  We enjoyed a light breakfast from the Moderno breakfast bar then picked up our jackets, toques and cameras before heading up to the Haven sun deck.

When I was in grade 12 my English Lit teacher said people who talk about the weather are boring, but today deserves an exception.  We have never had a day in Glacier Bay with this kind of hot sun, blue sky, cool air and water so calm each mountain crevice and peak is reflected.  Person after person coming up the stairs took one look at the scenery and gasped “wow.”  Then there was the guy from Texas who said “well sh*t!”

Captain Vicente and nature teamed up today for a once in a lifetime glacier viewing.  The captain did 4 complete 360 degree turns and we lingered for two hours at our first stop.  This has never happened before.  Remember when we were easing out of Covid restrictions and could start seeing friends and family again? That’s what coming back to the glaciers is like.  Spending the morning with my good friend Margerie was made even more special by the warmth of sun on our shoulders.  3 small calvings with the third one being thunderous sent sheets of ice crashing into the ocean. The clear blue of the packed ice gleamed like larimar (my favourite stone.) 

Waiters were offering pastries and drinks (hot chocolate with marshmallows, Gluehwine, Blue Glacier, straight up shots, mimosas, Bloody Mary’s, coffee and beer.) Most people wanted their hands free for photography.  We did eventually try a Blue Glacier which tasted like 1/3 alcohol (not the good kind) 1/3 orange juice and 1/3 toothpaste.  Next time I’m having Bailey’s.

It eventually got so warm people were taking off jackets and hats and wearing short sleeves.  

As were were sailing away from Margerie Glacier a little black head in the ocean caught my eye.  I thought it was a seal but as we drew closer we saw it was a mama otter with a baby on her chest.  On a nearby bergy bit (ice in the water) stood two bald eagles, just chilling.  Then more little heads popped up both in the water and on the ice and we ultimately saw 22 otters today.  Otters have over a million hairs per one square inch of skin.

Leaving Margerie, we headed toward Lamphugh and Johns Hopkins Glaciers. This time I chose wisely and had hot chocolate with Bailey’s and marshmallows.  Perfect for glacier viewing.  We were six miles away from Johns Hopkins but it’s so huge it appears much closer.  I loved seeing the crew taking selfies with the glaciers: their Instagram accounts will be getting a lot of likes today!  Steven and Emma served up Glacier Sundaes at Topsiders.    So fun!

As we sail through Glacier Bay, Ranger Colleen continues her narration.  She keeps spotting wildlife: a harem of sea lions on the port side, humpback whales on starboard, puffins on the little island on port side, a spectacular, rarely spotted view of the elusive Mt. Fairweather with her ice cream cone top swirl on starboard.  The otters were on all sides, as were the ravenous seagulls swooping for bits of bread.  People were scurrying from side to side to glimpse the wildlife today.  Ranger Colleen said today was rare and special for all that we saw.  

As the glacier viewing party drew to a close, we headed to Cagney’s for lunch where my dad loved his salmon chowder and beef dip and I

ordered a chicken burger without the chicken (this amounted to a toasted bun with Brie, avocado, lettuce and tomato.  Delicious!

We had to choose between afternoon trivia and the hot tubs and the hot tubs won.  We found a hot one which is just as rare as seeing Mt. Fairweather.  For anyone sailing on the Jewel, the hottest hot tub is on the port side near the bandstand.  Hot tubbing was a perfect way to spend the afternoon before showering and meeting our Cruise Critic group for cocktail hour.

When I saw Rumi around 6pm tonight he said “you got a sunburn today!” I replied “yes, and I just had two whiskies.”  This seemed important to say after just consuming said whiskies.  I did have sunscreen on but the sun was so hot I still got a slight sunburn.  Tip: add sunscreen to your Alaska packing list!  Either that or cut back on the whiskey.

We had a quick dinner in La Cucina before seeing tonight’s production cast show, Velvet.  Spectacular show!  High energy, great singing and dancing, excessive use of disco balls and sequins and an all around terrific experience.  I am convinced NCL spent half their profit margin on the costumes for this show.

As back to back cruisers we need antigen tests provided by NCL and these take place tomorrow.  The process for being a B2B guest is completely different from what I experienced on the Bliss in March so either the process has changed or each ship does things differently.

We had a busy day today!  We ran into the Cruise Next manager, Terry, in La Cucina tonight and he said “I see you two everywhere!”  This is true; we like to be busy and do as much as we can.  That said, we were ready to call it a night at 9:30pm after the show.  My dad’s new favourite onboard evening activity seems to be finding and circling typos in the next day’s Freestyle Daily.

Tip from Steven: NCL brings fresh salmon on board in Ketchikan.  It isn’t on the menu but you can order salmon in the main dining room and in the other restaurants.  

Tip from Yvonne: count your underwear properly when putting your laundry in the bag.  Our room steward came and found me today and, blushing, said “Miss Yvonne, you said you put in 5 pairs of underwear but the people in the laundry can only find four pairs.”  I meant to put the pair I was wearing yesterday into the laundry when I filled out the slip yesterday but I forgot.  This, added to our morning conversation, (Miss Yvonne, how is your toilet today?”) is bringing myself and our room steward to a whole new level.  I decided today that if I ever write an autobiography it will be titled Miss Yvonne, How Is Your Toilet?

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

13 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Tip from Yvonne: count your underwear properly when putting your laundry in the bag.  Our room steward came and found me today and, blushing, said “Miss Yvonne, you said you put in 5 pairs of underwear but the people in the laundry can only find four pairs.”  I meant to put the pair I was wearing yesterday into the laundry when I filled out the slip yesterday but I forgot.  This, added to our morning conversation, (Miss Yvonne, how is your toilet today?”) is bringing myself and our room steward to a whole new level.  I decided today that if I ever write an autobiography it will be titled Miss Yvonne, How Is Your Toilet?

I am going to have to learn to stop drinking coffee while reading Cruise Critic as my keyboard needs another wipe down!

Your review is as entertaining as it is detailed and insightful.  I've had several people ask me why I keep returning to Alaska - THIS IS WHY!

Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Thank you for these very informative, lighthearted reviews. It is totally awesome that you get to do this with your dad. I am taking this trip with the added Denali land tour August 8th on the Jewel, and reading this makes me even more excited. 

• Like 1

Yvonne, I love your style of writing! What an amazing review!😊

Thank you for letting us all take part in your Alaska cruise experience.👍🏻

My husband and will be on the B2B on the Jewel in August so I really would be interested in reading about the antigen test testing procedures for B2B cruisers on the Jewel. 

It would be very kind you if you could tell a little bit about it! 

Thank you, Yvonne, I appreciate it.

Sue ( another teacher and cruise lover😉)

• Like 2

I'm absolutely loving your review. Alaska is on my bucket list, and The Jewel was my first NCL ship back in 2011. I appreciate your writing style and enjoy your take on cruising with your dad. My parents are joining DH and me for their first cruise in 2023, and I'm hoping that they enjoy it as much as we do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fruitpunch76 said:

Yvonne, I love your style of writing! What an amazing review!😊

Thank you for letting us all take part in your Alaska cruise experience.👍🏻

My husband and will be on the B2B on the Jewel in August so I really would be interested in reading about the antigen test testing procedures for B2B cruisers on the Jewel. 

It would be very kind you if you could tell a little bit about it! 

Thank you, Yvonne, I appreciate it.

Sue ( another teacher and cruise lover😉)

The antigen test procedure on the Jewel is so smooth.  It took fewer than 3 minutes!

We had already registered for a Eurofins account so when we arrived at the testing entrance (Le Bistro) our key cards were checked and our names cross-referenced with NCL’s list of back to back passengers.  There were three staff members from Eurofins doing this job. After we were checked in we were provided with a vial.  The vial has a barcode which was registered to our name.  We took the vial to the nose swabbing station and had a very quick and non-invasive nose swab.  There were 3 stations set up for this.  Then we left!  On the Bliss in March it took me an hour to wait in line one day and an hour to wait for the actual test the next day.  Way better on the Jewel!  We did not need to wait for results or go back to the cabin to wait for a phone call.  We should receive letters stating we are negative tonight.  I will update.

FYI all crew members are now getting tested every two weeks.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gerry1.10 said:

Hi

Can you list the officers currently on the ship

Thanks

Gerry1.10

Yes!

Captain Vicente Amicone

Staff Captain Riccardo Colella

Chief Engineer Igor Sanje

Chief Officer Erdin Septar

Safety Officer Elias Rodriguez

Staff Chief Engineer Juan Canto

Chief Electrical Engineer Dalibor Radovic

Navigation Officer Ruel Taladhay

1st Officer Titus Ciocoiu

1st Engineer Masetto Gaspari

1st Hotel Engineer Ivan Kristic

Chief Refrigeration Engineer Giorgio Borelli

If I missed any positions please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

The antigen test procedure on the Jewel is so smooth.  It took fewer than 3 minutes!

We had already registered for a Eurofins account so when we arrived at the testing entrance (Le Bistro) our key cards were checked and our names cross-referenced with NCL’s list of back to back passengers.  There were three staff members from Eurofins doing this job. After we were checked in we were provided with a vial.  The vial has a barcode which was registered to our name.  We took the vial to the nose swabbing station and had a very quick and non-invasive nose swab.  There were 3 stations set up for this.  Then we left!  On the Bliss in March it took me an hour to wait in line one day and an hour to wait for the actual test the next day.  Way better on the Jewel!  We did not need to wait for results or go back to the cabin to wait for a phone call.  We should receive letters stating we are negative tonight.  I will update.

FYI all crew members are now getting tested every two weeks.

Thanks for sharing the procedure! 

Maybe I missed it, but how much are they charging for the Eurofins antigen test for the Jewel right now?  Is it the same price at the Vancouver pier as you paid on the ship for your on-ship test for the B2B cruise?  

Your live review is so helpful!  I was sharing your photos of the White Pass Railway ride with some friends earlier today.  We'll be there for the May 16-23 cruise! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Yes!

Captain Vicente Amicone

Staff Captain Riccardo Colella

Chief Engineer Igor Sanje

Chief Officer Erdin Septar

Safety Officer Elias Rodriguez

Staff Chief Engineer Juan Canto

Chief Electrical Engineer Dalibor Radovic

Navigation Officer Ruel Taladhay

1st Officer Titus Ciocoiu

1st Engineer Masetto Gaspari

1st Hotel Engineer Ivan Kristic

Chief Refrigeration Engineer Giorgio Borelli

If I missed any positions please let me know.

That’s great. Thank you. If you can get the names of the top hotel department officers, that would be even better. Never been on the Jewel, but on the Gem there is a video screen with their pictures on deck 12 just forward of the pool, near the library. 

• Like 1

Hello Yvonne😊 Thank you so much for the information about covid testing.

I really would be interested in what happens to B2B cruisers who test positive in Seward? Did NCL give you any information on that?

Thanks in advance for your reply - we appreciate it👍🏻

Thanks YVR

Meant more of the Hotel and F&B directors/officers which you can find on the upper deck by the library (used to be there unless they have changed it)

Have a wonderful cruise. I have sailed with both Rumi and Steven. You are in excellent hands as they are both wonderful. I see Captain Kenneth is not on the ship. It has been "his" ship for many many years. It is very possible he has now retired.

Cant wait to start cruising again.

Cheers

gerry1.10

• Like 1

Wow! The glacier photos are spectacular!  Looks like you did have a perfect day! Thank you for sharing the tip on the salmon being available. 

Thank you so much for posting the daily! It is reassuring to know what to expect for the smaller entertainment venues like Nathaniel Reed and Fire and Ice in Magnums or Bliss Lounge or D'Revelation in Spinnaker. We typically don't go to the Theater. 

Any favorites individuals, duos or groups in the smaller venues?

Again, thank you so much for posting the daily. If you are willing to post any others, we would greatly appreciate it! Enjoy the second half of your cruise!

• Like 1