Booking transport civitaveccia

harryspotter

Hi, sorry not a sexy title but I have a quandary. 

My cruise arrives in Port at 5am. I need to book transport to an hotel in Rome and want to get there fairly early around 1030. I want to go on an underground coliseum tour at 1130.

But I have no idea what time I will get off ship and thru customs ready for a waiting car.

Let's say, I want to get in the car at 9am. I imagine that will give me enough time to get to the hotel in cental Rome.

What do I need to do to make this happen?

BTW,  it will be the Beyond in August so pretty excited.

25 minutes ago, harryspotter said:

My cruise arrives in Port at 5am. I need to book transport to an hotel in Rome and want to get there fairly early around 1030. I want to go on an underground coliseum tour at 1130.

But I have no idea what time I will get off ship and thru customs ready for a waiting car.

Let's say, I want to get in the car at 9am. I imagine that will give me enough time to get to the hotel in cental Rome.

You will need to book a private transport like Bob's Limos but it is at least an hour and 40 minutes from the cruise port to Rome, more in traffic.

https://www.romelimousines.com/

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, terrydtx said:

You will need to book a private transport like Bob's Limos but it is at least an hour and 40 minutes from the cruise port to Rome, more in traffic.

https://www.romelimousines.com/

With all due respect I think your journey time is a little pessimistic. We've never taken more than 1 hour 15 mins to central Rome and did it in around an hour once. Always around 8.30 - 9.00 in the morning. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bugsy1966 said:

With all due respect I think your journey time is a little pessimistic. We've never taken more than 1 hour 15 mins to central Rome and did it in around an hour once. Always around 8.30 - 9.00 in the morning. 

With all due respect, this is what the limo service told us it would take for our trip and that information is what I offered to the OP.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

With all due respect, this is what the limo service told us it would take for our trip and that information is what I offered to the OP.

Then perhaps commencing your advice with something along the lines of 'we have no personal experience but have been told to allow 1 hour 40 minutes - more in traffic - by our limo company' might have been better. Your timings seemed rather definitive and I was merely pointing out that I have never experienced such journey times in an attempt to give the OP a better idea of when he/she might wish to arrange transport.

Traffic delays can and will affect journeys as you state but without them then the timings suggested by your limo company are conservative in the extreme.

I think it depends on whether it's a TA or a European Cruise.    If European thee will be no or limited custom formalities.   The ships usually get in early and you will certainly be off the ship as early as 6:30-7:00 if walk off.   Last call is usually 9 - 9:15

We usually use RomeCabs and I would guess you will be in Rome in no more than 1 1/2 hour at the worst of times. 

• Like 3

It has been years since I stayed in Rome but here is our August 2008 experience with prices. Transportation prices then were as follows: One way by taxi was around $200 or a private car was $180...just remember that was prices then but with the price of gas going up I am sure it cost more now. We stayed in Rome for one night close to the central rail station and took the train to Civitaveccia which cost us $11 euros for a second class ticket each at that time. There was a ticket you could buy at the time which provided transportation to Rome and back for something like $14 euros.  We were surprised that the train cars were air conditioned at the time. My original plan did not work since I had purchased first class rail tickets in the beginning. The first class ticket with one stop was delayed something like six hours. In other words forget this! At least the second class train ticket ran between Rome and Civitaveccia every hour. Most cruiselines will offer transportation back to the Rome Airport for a price. I remember paying something like $129 per person then. I am putting this out there for those who are looking for reasonable Transportaion cost with a little research. I hope this information helps. I would like to hear what those cost now are averaging. Tim     

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think it depends on whether it's a TA or a European Cruise.    If European thee will be no or limited custom formalities.   The ships usually get in early and you will certainly be off the ship as early as 6:30-7:00 if walk off.   Last call is usually 9 - 9:15

We usually use RomeCabs and I would guess you will be in Rome in no more than 1 1/2 hour at the worst of times. 

I also love Stephani's RomeCabs too.  We have used them so many times and never an issue.  I have never used the other company, so I cannot speak to that, but would always rather be early for sure, no matter what company I used, as anything can happen on the road.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vivian02 said:

It has been years since I stayed in Rome but here is our August 2008 experience with prices. Transportation prices then were as follows: One way by taxi was around $200 or a private car was $180...just remember that was prices then but with the price of gas going up I am sure it cost more now. We stayed in Rome for one night close to the central rail station and took the train to Civitaveccia which cost us $11 euros for a second class ticket each at that time. There was a ticket you could buy at the time which provided transportation to Rome and back for something like $14 euros.  We were surprised that the train cars were air conditioned at the time. My original plan did not work since I had purchased first class rail tickets in the beginning. The first class ticket with one stop was delayed something like six hours. In other words forget this! At least the second class train ticket ran between Rome and Civitaveccia every hour. Most cruiselines will offer transportation back to the Rome Airport for a price. I remember paying something like $129 per person then. I am putting this out there for those who are looking for reasonable Transportaion cost with a little research. I hope this information helps. I would like to hear what those cost now are averaging. Tim     

I have a private car from FCO to my hotel in Rome, Albergo del Senator, for two at $50 total using Stephani's RomeCabs.  Now from my hotel to the cruise port  is more than double that price +.  This is for October, 2022.  We love taking the train all over Italy, even did that from Cinque Terre to board a cruise, but we spent the night in Civi.  Actually, our hotel  there wanted $30 pp to take us from their estblishment to the port...highway robbery at best.  However, finding a cab is so difficult; the bus on Civi was much cheaper and better...actually free.  Yes, do what is best for you!  Covid has changed things...but reasonable transportation is always available at opportunity cost!

Edited by Lastdance

11 hours ago, Bugsy1966 said:

Then perhaps commencing your advice with something along the lines of 'we have no personal experience but have been told to allow 1 hour 40 minutes - more in traffic - by our limo company' might have been better. Your timings seemed rather definitive and I was merely pointing out that I have never experienced such journey times in an attempt to give the OP a better idea of when he/she might wish to arrange transport.

Traffic delays can and will affect journeys as you state but without them then the timings suggested by your limo company are conservative in the extreme.

you are being too harsh and dismissive. The limo company allows for that amount of time because unexpected delays do happen, all the time. What a shame if the OP missed his tour because he relied on your best case scenario time?  Also, when was the last time you made this trip? Times have changed, a lot, recently. Also the day of the week matters, a lot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bugsy1966 said:

Such a great term, with all due respect.......just did a quick check from Civi to the Termini station Rome..1 hour 10 minutes using the toll road.  It is approx 3 am in Italy and accordingly the traffic is light. Every trip we have taken into the city in the morning rush has been between an hour thirty and an hour forty five.  Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I have a private car from FCO to my hotel in Rome, Albergo del Senator, for two at $50 total using Stephani's RomeCabs.  Now from my hotel to the cruise port  is more than double that price +.  This is for October, 2022.  We love taking the train all over Italy, even did that from Cinque Terre to board a cruise, but we spent the night in Civi.  Actually, our hotel  there wanted $30 pp to take us from their estblishment to the port...highway robbery at best.  However, finding a cab is so difficult; the bus on Civi was much cheaper and better...actually free.  Yes, do what is best for you!  Covid has changed things...but reasonable transportation is always available at opportunity cost!

Your prices are about what we are paying with Bob's Limos in August.  We have 4 in our party and the fare from the Cruise terminal to the Termini train station in Rome is $168 total. We are then taking the express train to Florence from there. The fare we booked from FCO to our hotel pre cruise in Rome for all 4 of us is $76.  We didn't want to get to the Civi train station from the ship and then change trains in Rome for Florence and schlep our luggage twice. Yes you are right everyone needs to do what is beat for them. We used Bob's in 2018 and were very happy with the service but there are many other public and private transports available in Rome, FCO and Civi.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, vivian02 said:

I would like to hear what those cost now are averaging. Tim 

Actual rates from the company I've recommended above -- 

Flat official rate of taxi - from FCO to Rome hotel - 48 Euro.

Private transfer from FCO to Rome hotel - 49 Euro per car for 2 pax.

Private transfer from Rome hotel  to Civitavecchia check in - 119 Euro per car for 2 pax.

The rates of the private transfer include one piece of luggage and one carry on pp.

Our hotel charges 50 Euro for a car which will wait for us (same as the private transfer). For the difference of one Euro, we prefer to take the hotel's transfer.

Same for the transfer to port -- the hotel charges 130 Euro vs. 119 Euro for the private transfer.

Again, we prefer the hotel just for the comfort.

Even though we travel with carry on only, we'll never consider schlepping ourselves to Termini, board the train (stairs, no stairs?), then take a taxi to the port entrance, and then wait for the free shuttle to the check in. We're on vacation.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:17 PM, harryspotter said:

Ask the company you plan to book with. They are experts at getting people from A to B for certain times and will know the likely traffic situation for the times you need. Can highly recommend Stephano Costantini -Rome cabs. Done this trip many times and they have never let us down. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  119E does seem to be about the price I can find for a private shuttle.  Maybe leaving at 830 will give us plenty of wiggle room. Need to be at tour 11am.  Hotel is 5 minutes walk to Coliseum.

Need to check luggage in to hotel.  May have time for a icecream if we are lucky.

Options for leaving the ship are -

1.  Walk off with own cases.

2.  Get into the right timed group without cases.

So if I book a car for 8.30 - and leave ship at 8.15, will that work with either option?  Last time I disembarked a ship, someone else took one of my cases so it delayed us.  This time have coloured belts for the luggage so shouldn't be an issue.

Which option is best?

8 minutes ago, harryspotter said:

Thanks everyone.  119E does seem to be about the price I can find for a private shuttle.  Maybe leaving at 830 will give us plenty of wiggle room. Need to be at tour 11am.  Hotel is 5 minutes walk to Coliseum.

Need to check luggage in to hotel.  May have time for a icecream if we are lucky.

Options for leaving the ship are -

1.  Walk off with own cases.

2.  Get into the right timed group without cases.

So if I book a car for 8.30 - and leave ship at 8.15, will that work with either option?  Last time I disembarked a ship, someone else took one of my cases so it delayed us.  This time have coloured belts for the luggage so shouldn't be an issue.

Which option is best?

As soon as you introduce another step with people handling your luggage, you introduce the possibility of delays. You may have solved the problem of someone mistakenly taking your bag, but there are other delays. The line through customs may be very long and delayed. Departure may be delayed because the ship was late in being cleared for disembarkation. The porter may put a bag is the wrong section (this happened to me).  Since you are in such a crunch you really should only consider taking your own luggage off and being in the first group of walk-offs.

• Like 1

I just did this when I departed the Reflection repositioning cruise. Suggest you do NOT take a car to Rome. Takes about twice as long given the heavy traffic. Suggest you take a train. You can take 2 different types of express trains. I paid Celebrity $24 Euro PP to take me to train station given we had several suitcases. Reflection, Guest services suggested the second class train express train that cost about 10 Euro. I opted for 1st class on the the Direct Express Train. I bought the tickets at the train station. A 1st class ticket cost about 23 Euro. I chose the 730 excursion private shuttle ride and Celebrity gave me tickets for 730 bag pickup in terminal. I was way. Train station only about 1 mile from ship. I got a 915 train and was in Rome about 10:00.  Highly recommend this approach. I waited about 45 minutes for the train. The 2nd class train, has 3 early trains. The train is the way to go.

Thanks for all this.  I don't fancy taking a train, too many moving parts to add extra stress.  John, what were your reasons for a train?  Cost, convenience, speed?  What was your main motivator given it's more fiddly than just booking a car?

Mark

Ship docks at 5am.  If I book a car for 8.30 to get to hotel before 10.30 - seem reasonable?

If I decide to carry my own luggage, let's say I leave ship at 8.15 - What time will I need to leave room and I imagine I then have to carry luggage around whilst getting breakfast?

Mark