Every category on my cruise is on the waitlist.

travelbug2225

We booked Rivera from Mote Carlo to Trieste(Nov4-14). Every category on this cruise is on a waitlist for at least 2-3 weeks now.  I know this cruise is not sold out.  There were a lot of cabins available when I check at the beginning of April. 

The Rivera itinerary before and after this one are available for booking. I don’t know what’s happening. 

What might cause this?  Will Oceania cancel this cruise if the booking is so low.  I know no one knows for sure. Just want to hear the options of the regular O passengers.  

5 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

We booked Rivera from Mote Carlo to Trieste(Nov4-14). Every category on this cruise is on a waitlist for at least 2-3 weeks now.  I know this cruise is not sold out.  There were a lot of cabins available when I check at the beginning of April. 

The Rivera itinerary before and after this one are available for booking. I don’t know what’s happening. 

What might cause this?  Will Oceania cancel this cruise if the booking is so low.  I know no one knows for sure. Just want to hear the options of the regular O passengers.  

If that’s a single segment of an “extended journey,” it might be due to the “extended journey” cruise (that include your segment) being sold out. As Final Pay date approaches, you may see things open back up due to cancelations. 
Of course, the bad news is that, a ship that, all of a sudden, goes totally “wait listed” can mean the cruise will soon be cancelled.

I also seem to remember that Riviera and Vista may be getting the NEXT makeover (like the R ships did) later this year. 

So, check the neighboring itineraries (including the “extended journeys” for their cabin availability too.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If that’s a single segment of an “extended journey,” it might be due to the “extended journey” cruise (that include your segment) being sold out. As Final Pay date approaches, you may see things open back up due to cancelations. 
Of course, the bad news is that, a ship that, all of a sudden, goes totally “wait listed” can mean the cruise will soon be cancelled.

I also seem to remember that Riviera and Vista may be getting the NEXT makeover (like the R ships did) later this year. 

So, check the neighboring itineraries (including the “extended journeys” for their cabin availability too.

I believe Riviera's makeover was scheduled for fall of this year and Marina (not Vista) is scheduled for fall of '23.

36 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I believe Riviera's makeover was scheduled for fall of this year and Marina (not Vista) is scheduled for fall of '23.

Perhaps that’s what’s happening for OP? Somehow, I doubt it. Perhaps OP wants to also look at Riviera’s existing autumn 2022 schedule and see if there’s a missing time span of 2 weeks +\- with no cruises. That would account for NEXT and, if it’s not during his cruise dates, rule out NEXT as a reason.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps that’s what’s happening for OP? Somehow, I doubt it. Perhaps OP wants to also look at Riviera’s existing autumn 2022 schedule and see if there’s a missing time span of 2 weeks +\- with no cruises. That would account for NEXT and, if it’s not during his cruise dates, rule out NEXT as a reason.

There is a gap in Riviera's schedule between the OP cruise and the next (NEXT?) cruise.

Nothing scheduled between Nov 14 and Dec 7.  

Edited by shepherd really

1 minute ago, shepherd really said:

There is a gap in Riviera's schedule between the OP cruise and the next (NEXT?) cruise.

Nothing scheduled from Nov 14 and Dec 7.  

That’s three weeks. Sounds about right for NEXT work. Might explain OP’s cruise uncertainty if O is looking to start earlier(?).

My oct 1, 2022 cruise has only one cabin category, veranda, available. Final pay was yesterday. Ocean views were available last week. Its a 17 day two cruise combo.

Each cruise if booked separately has much more space available

maybe they make more money booking separate cruises. 

Edited by oskidunker

9 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

My oct 1, 2022 cruise has only one cabin category, veranda, available. Final pay was yesterday. Ocean views were available last week. Its a 17 day two cruise combo.

Could it be that booking as a combo assumes that you don't move staterooms and the same stateroom is not available for both segments, where if bookedas separate legs, there is more availability because you have to change staterooms?

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Could it be that booking as a combo assumes that you don't move staterooms and the same stateroom is not available for both segments, where if bookedas separate legs, there is more availability because you have to change staterooms?

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Possible .didnt look to see if it costs more to book seperate

see my post #3

when someone books an “extended journey” or a “custom cruise” (both are multiple segments- the former a published cruise; the latter not), the booked cabin does appear as available for either individual segment.

as for cost, the fare of an extended journey or custom cruise will always be less than te sum of its components.

Also remember that prospective passengers have been cancelling cruises in droves . Ships sailing near empty. Some of those are FCC that have an end date. Those latter year cruises are going to become “ use it or lose it” for some. They have to get them booked. 

Personally guessing the Riv will be undergoing a Retro at that time.

The Riviera will go in for a major upgrade sometime in November as part of the Oceania NEXT Project. All cabins will be redone which will include the removal of tubs from all cabins except the top suites. New pizza restaurant will be added, etc etc. 
The new version of the ship will sail on December 7. 

Our cruise is the last one before it go to major upgrade. I get a feeling that O might cancel this cruise. Hopefully, O will let us know sooner than later.  I paid the deposit with my FCC which I had to use by Dec 22.  If O cancel this cruise, will I have the use it by 2022 or they will give me extension to 2023. 

9 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

Our cruise is the last one before it go to major upgrade. I get a feeling that O might cancel this cruise. Hopefully, O will let us know sooner than later.  I paid the deposit with my FCC which I had to use by Dec 22.  If O cancel this cruise, will I have the use it by 2022 or they will give me extension to 2023. 

Doubt they will cancel

The  ship yard will be booked for specific dates  they just cannot arrive early & expect them to start work

JMO

58 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Doubt they will cancel

The  ship yard will be booked for specific dates  they just cannot arrive early & expect them to start work

JMO

Yes, but!!

We’ve both read posts, in the past, where demolition work will sometimes actually start on the cruise(s) prior to actual dry dock. Carpet being torn out and other such work, for example.

So could Oceania be freezing the number of passengers on the ship to maximize such work being done by crew pre dry dock? Or, if the cruise is poorly sold, might they just cancel it to allow even more work and disruption on the ship.

Personally guessing, with the need of revenue, the cruise isn’t cancelled unless really undersold. Either way, neither of us probably would want to be on that cruise .!

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Yes, but!!

We’ve both read posts, in the past, where demolition work will sometimes actually start on the cruise(s) prior to actual dry dock. Carpet being torn out and other such work, for example.

So could Oceania be freezing the number of passengers on the ship to maximize such work being done by crew pre dry dock? Or, if the cruise is poorly sold, might they just cancel it to allow even more work and disruption on the ship.

Anything is possible

Guess it is a personal choice  whether to sail pre or post refit  😉

8 hours ago, 2skikids said:

Found out today that the cruise is cancelled . Riveria going into dry dock early. Changed our date to October and out of Barcelona. Canceling . Very upset

I can totally understand you being upset, especially if you had procured your own air. Good Luck!

These are difficult times for cruise lines. Forward planning is extremely difficult especially since they never know if they’ll have the cash flow to pay for major dry docks. I’ll add a second condition. Until a couple of years ago, Oceania only released its cruise schedule about 18 months in advance. Dry docks were known and except for an occasional charter, cruises were rarely cancelled. Extending the release of cruises to 24+ months has increased the number of altered or cancelled cruises. Just imagine how many Viking cruises that get cancelled with releases out three years!!

On a personal note, I believe that if and when such decisions are made, they should be made and announced at least 330 days per cruise. This prevents passengers with being stuck with expensive plane tickets that may be hard to recover. Nothing mandatory about the Riveria’s upgrade that couldn’t have waited until after the Spring Carribean cruises and a TA back to the dry dock. JMO.

• Like 1

@2skikids

sometimes the shipyards are not as busy as predicted

With some lines going belly up or not having the money to do new builds  maybe the ship yards are looking to fit ships in when slots are opened up

Disappointing when you are looking forward to the cruise

Hopefully  you can find an alternative  for the same time frame if you have book your own air

JMO

20 hours ago, 2skikids said:

Found out today that the cruise is cancelled . Riveria going into dry dock early. Changed our date to October and out of Barcelona. Canceling . Very upset

Did you get other choices?  Our first cancellation email Oceania gave me 4 alternate Rivera itinerary. But the 2nd email ( 3 minutes later) they rebooked me with Rome to Monte Carlo. The other get rebooked in June out of Barcelona.  

O honor the original price we booked plus OBC. Our category is on waitlist.  Hopefully, we will get upgrade.

Just wondering if I still be able to choose one of the cruise they offer.  I contact my TA but she still not get back to me. 

7 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

Did you get other choices?  Our first cancellation email Oceania gave me 4 alternate Rivera itinerary. But the 2nd email ( 3 minutes later) they rebooked me with Rome to Monte Carlo. The other get rebooked in June out of Barcelona.  

O honor the original price we booked plus OBC. Our category is on waitlist.  Hopefully, we will get upgrade.

Just wondering if I still be able to choose one of the cruise they offer.  I contact my TA but she still not get back to me. 

My TA has checked with Oceania and they told us to ignore the details on the first cancellation email.

The two options are:

(A) Rebook to 24th Oct with same category and same price, plus USD 250 per cabin OBC.

(B) Cancel and refund, plus receive 10% FCC (book before 11th May 2023, sail before 11th May 2024). Then you can use the FCC to rebook other voyages later.

If you choose (A) but your category is on waitlist, I hope they will arrange to upgrade you.

@Cruise Wonderland As of now I know 3 people who got 3 different offer. Seem like you and me get offered the same cruise. Do you take the offer or cancel?  

Some people turn down the offer and cancel the cruise. I hope Oceania let us choose the cruise we want from the first email.  My TA called O and the rep know nothing about 1st email. She only see the cruise O rebooked me.  My TA will contact O and see what they can do. 

4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

My TA has checked with Oceania and they told us to ignore the details on the first cancellation email.

The two options are:

(A) Rebook to 24th Oct with same category and same price, plus USD 250 per cabin OBC.

(B) Cancel and refund, plus receive 10% FCC (book before 11th May 2023, sail before 11th May 2024). Then you can use the FCC to rebook other voyages later.

If you choose (A) but your category is on waitlist, I hope they will arrange to upgrade you.

I would think you would  have 3 options??

C) cancel & get a refund of your deposit 

You are far enough away from final payment that should  not be an issue

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I would think you would  have 3 options??

C) cancel & get a refund of your deposit 

You are far enough away from final payment that should  not be an issue

(B) and (C) are the same.

Even only deposit is paid, they will still offer refund + 10% FCC.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland