What is in ship medical center to counter Covid?

generichandle

Your doctor is misinformed.  It’s a five day course of therapy with a serious side effect profile comparable to OTC analgesics. The most common side effect is a bad taste in your mouth, which is what such cruddy advice should leave.  

• Like 2

I just returned from the Royal Princess (May2-14) and was “lucky” enough to test positive while onboard. I enquired about receiving Paxlovid and after a consultation with the ships Dr I was was offered the drug, the cost was $750.00 and also required a baseline liver function test (at an additional cost) before the Dr would dispense the 5 day course of treatment. 

I declined the treatment based on the possible side effects for a patient who already suffers from high blood pressure. 

Chris 

Edited by csaeroach
Accuracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Exactly, 100%......

If risks are great due to your health.......DON'T CRUISE!    Simple Simon

The risks are mostly from Princess and their enforcement or lack of present and past Covid protocols which in some instances were non-existent on the cruises we were on.

Passengers have some responsibility but Princess is the one who is promoting and advertising safe cruising for a variety of reasons.  With the number of passengers getting Covid on Princess' longer cruises maybe Princess SHOULD NOT BE CRUISING!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Your doctor is misinformed.  It’s a five day course of therapy with a serious side effect profile comparable to OTC analgesics. The most common side effect is a bad taste in your mouth, which is what such cruddy advice should leave.  

So that we can all better judge the value of your posts, could you please let us know your background, such as degrees and work experience, in the medical area or related fields such as but not limited to clinical research data reviewer?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csaeroach said:

I just returned from the Royal Princess (May2-14) and was “lucky” enough to test positive while onboard. I enquired about receiving Paxlovid and after a consultation with the ships Dr I was was offered the drug, the cost was $750.00 and also required a baseline liver function test (at an additional cost) before the Dr would dispense the 5 day course of treatment. 

I declined the treatment based on the possible side effects for a patient who already suffers from high blood pressure. 

Chris 

Thanks for your first hand experience. I hope you don't experience any COVID symptoms. Or serious symptoms.

1 hour ago, csaeroach said:

Chris 

Interesting.

I was wondering what the cost of the drug may be outside of the "free" drug available here in the US. I am surprised that it was only $750 dollars. Besides the liver function test, there would have probably also been additional costs on your medical center bill.

Too many people do not realize that the "free" Paxlovid here in the US has a price tag of $590. The US government negotiated the bulk price when buying the drug for distribution.

Many also are not aware of the contradictions and inactions with other drugs (Rx and OTC hebal supplements). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csaeroach said:

Thanks for sharing.  I hope you're beating this virus back in style. 

This is the first I've heard of ANY cruise ship on ANY cruise line having Paxlovid.  I wonder if its presence is an incentive for others to take a cruise on Princess rather than some other cruise line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing.  I hope you're beating this virus back in style. 

This is the first I've heard of ANY cruise ship on ANY cruise line having Paxlovid.  I wonder if its presence is an incentive for others to take a cruise on Princess rather than some other cruise line.

It would depend on how much they are willing to pay for a drug and associated expenses  (I am willing to bet the medical center bill would be  at least $2000 for the drug plus testing and other fees) for what would have proven to be a mild case of Covid. They would still have to be quarantined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, Homosassa said:

It would depend on how much they are willing to pay for a drug and associated expenses  (I am willing to bet the medical center bill would be  at least $2000 for the drug plus testing and other fees) for what would have proven to be a mild case of Covid. They would still have to be quarantined.

It's a tough call.  So if the patient winds up in the hospital, that $2k will be spent pretty quickly... not even addressing the potential health ramifications.

As is typical in the health profession, different folks are treated differently by different docs. 

Case in point, I tested positive at home, called the doc and within 3 hours I was picking up the Paxlovid script.... based only on a self home test.  AND FWIW, I was a boosted patient, though, some 5 months since last boost.

I've known others with similar experiences.  BUT, I also know others that were denied a treatment due to lack of enough "factors."

And yes Pax cleared me up within a day, though I know others that have had minimal impacts, but no one hospitalized.

So, in my opinion, there is no absolute in this arena.  Take what wants to when one can get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 8:57 AM, csaeroach said:

Chris 

There was another posting last month on an Alaska cruise, that asked for Paxlovid and the ship Dr did have it, but said it would $700, as it was not an approved drug.  The guest declined.

Edited by PacnGoNow

• 6 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 2:07 PM, generichandle said:

Does anyone know what Princess medical facilities stock to interdict Covid diagnosis'? Monoclonals? Paxlovid? 

I cannot reach anyone at Princess who knows; perhaps someone who has been aboard knows or can ask?

Doug

Just got off a princess cruise last week.  They offered Paxlovid, but wanted to charge $700 for it. I waited until the next day and got it at Kaiser for $0.   Their covid protocol is great, but it's a ripoff

to charge $700 if you want Paxlovid.

10 minutes ago, ltslly said:

Just got off a princess cruise last week.  They offered Paxlovid, but wanted to charge $700 for it. I waited until the next day and got it at Kaiser for $0.   Their covid protocol is great, but it's a ripoff

I'm sure no one from any government is subsidizing their acquisitions of Paxlovid, so they've gotta make it up somehow.

18 minutes ago, ltslly said:

A lot of insurance companies will cover it too.  That’s the way any medical expenses are or Dr. visits on the ship, you pay before leaving the ship.

Then summit the expenses to your medical insurance and then whatever is not covered, to the insurance company that you purchased pre cruise.

Paxlovid wasn’t toxic for me. Within 2 hrs of the first positive test, I was swallowing the first pill.  The cough,  sore throat and headache were gone the next morning. Only side effect was a curious grapefruit taste that went away fast after the last dose. I was back to work in a hospital on Day 5. Very mild brief flu like course. I have multiple co occurring conditions which would make me a high risk patient without it. My statin and my blood thinner were held for a few days. 

Pre cruise, my Canadian family physician has provided me with another course, just in case. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ltslly said:

$700 is around the list price for Paxlovid.  The US government paid around $530 dollars for a course of treatment. However, as with Covid vaccinations the government provided programs for providing treatments free of charge will end .

2 hours ago, ltslly said:

Its not really a rip off...the US Government is paying for the cost of the medication to provide it for "free" (for now).  Princess does not get Paxlovid from the US Government since their ships are not flagged in the United States.

2 hours ago, ltslly said:

Sorry, but Kaiser paid about $700 for it, too. It's just covered by your insurance. Princess is just charging you the full, uninsured retail price, same as they would for any other drug.

Edited by pmallen

3 hours ago, ltslly said:

Kaiser will reimburse the charges. Easy to do in the app.  We had several hundred reimbursed from CoVID treatment in London, plus all the CoVID testing. 

Edited by milolii

43 minutes ago, pmallen said:

Sorry, but Kaiser paid about $700 for it, too. It's just covered by your insurance. Princess is just charging you the full, uninsured retail price, same as they would for any other drug.

I don’t know if Kaiser has a contract for Paxlovid, but the organization does use it power to negotiate contracts with drug companies.  It’s one of the main reasons behind its success.

3 hours ago, ltslly said:

Kaiser will reimburse you for the testing and Paxlovid but takes about 6 weeks. Personal experience

• Thanks 1