Queen Mary Transatlantic latest covid issues

Queenie52

We are on the QM to New York, Halifax and Boston at the end of June/July. I am a little concerned about the news that COVID cases have been rising both on board and in New York and Brooklyn. What we don’t want to happen is that on board activities such as spa etc get cancelled because of an outbreak. We have already transferred this holiday (booked before COVID) so we’re getting worried. Our cabin has already been changed because they need it for COVID isolation. Evidently the crew new to the ship in Southampton have to isolate in a cabin for 7 days! I wonder how that affects staffing levels on board. What about speakers do they have to isolate too? Also testing - we have to test 24 hours before embarking and then again before NY - do we also have to test again before Boston and again before disembarking in NY. It’s all starting to look like a not very relaxing and enjoyable cruise. Does anyone have any latest info on the ship and what is happening? I believe QM is on orange level and being investigated by the CDC in the US. It’s all very scary!! 

July 1 , 2022 QM2 7 nighter .

Just had our cabin changed from a BZ (fwd on deck 6) to a BY (aft on deck 6).

Per POLAR , all fwd in-hull balconies (cat BZ) on Deck 4,5,6 now no longer available, that were available  just 2 days ago.

Cunard seems to be setting them aside for covid.

Following closely as we are in a forward BZ in September. I will give our travel agent a heads up.

What is POLAR? Sorry but it's one of those words that is impossible to Google.

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

Following closely as we are in a forward BZ in September. I will give our travel agent a heads up.

What is POLAR? Sorry but it's one of those words that is impossible to Google.

I believe POLAR is a travel agency reservation tool.  EM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Queenie52 said:

What we don’t want to happen is that on board activities such as spa etc get cancelled because of an outbreak.

I'm afraid to say this is possible. Things that may start open can suddenly change to closed if cases escalate. The line is trying to protect people but keep as much going at the same time - it is a hard balancing act to achieve.

These are the times we live in and no-one can predict what will occur on future cruises. We can all speculate based on recent cruises but that does not mean that will be the case for yours.

If there are certain things that could happen (and have happened recently) that would constitute a ruined cruise for you then I would advise that you look to transfer. If these things would be a disappointment then I would say go ahead as there is still lots of things still to enjoy whilst cruising.

As many on here have said, in many different ways, it is down to each individual to determine their "line in the sand" when it comes to going on cruises again.

Good luck in whatever you decide and best wishes for a great cruise whenever you step on board again.

• Like 3

Yes ,POLAR is the TA's booking system for several cruise lines.

Cunard did not notify me of my cabin change (incidentally marked "do not Upgrade")

My TA saw the cabin change when going over his Group on this sailing.

Then saw the sudden unavailability of fwd  in-hull balconies.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:05 AM, Host Hattie said:

And here is the current CDC status, being orange is not particularly unusual. 

Screenshot_20220508-130407-290.png

The CDC's orange status for cruise ships has become even less unusual the past few days. Actually it has been a bit higher the past couple days than it is today. If I recall correctly, there were 71 cruise ships with the orange status yesterday.

1950416744_CDCCruiseShipStatusDashboard(AllShips).thumb.png.b65357274bfeeae23f9b2327c33e06e5.png

Anyway, the main reason for this post is to point out that since Queen Elizabeth is about to enter US waters, today's update to the CDC cruise ship status dashboard includes QE for the first time. Perhaps not too surprisingly, QE debuts with an orange status, the same as QM2.

1485896033_CDCCruiseShipStatusDashboard(CunardLine).thumb.png.e683513cd5b735f9b7c4b32bf30854b8.png

• Like 1

Well boys and girls-I am in Isolation😲-I crossed on Norwegian Getaway( in order to spend the whole day at the Titanic Museum in Belfast-and also to lunch at the White Star Hotel in Liverpool). 

I was Negative before sailing on the Getaway, and Negative the day before I boarded QM2-now in my way home- yesterday I started sneezing and coughing early -went to Med Center and LO AND BEHOLD-I’m Positive.😧

I am now in a forward 6Deck hull balcony-great location. It has been stripped down to basics but still very comfy; my meals are delivered-I get Britannia menus-food remains very good. I just can’t leave my cabin - at all-glad we’re in New York on the day after tomorrow.

I still love traveling by sea on my fave line; afraid that I won’t be jumping on the QA until she comes to New York-I’ve decided that after the last two flight experiences, I’m now allergic to airports. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Well boys and girls-I am in Isolation😲-I crossed on Norwegian Getaway( in order to spend the whole day at the Titanic Museum in Belfast-and also to lunch at the White Star Hotel in Liverpool). 

I was Negative before sailing on the Getaway, and Negative the day before I boarded QM2-now in my way home- yesterday I started sneezing and coughing early -went to Med Center and LO AND BEHOLD-I’m Positive.😧

I am now in a forward 6Deck hull balcony-great location. It has been stripped down to basics but still very comfy; my meals are delivered-I get Britannia menus-food remains very good. I just can’t leave my cabin - at all-glad we’re in New York on the day after tomorrow.

I still love traveling by sea on my fave line; afraid that I won’t be jumping on the QA until she comes to New York-I’ve decided that after the last two flight experiences, I’m now allergic to airports. 

I hope you have a quick recovery and a mild case of covid.  What has the weather been like on the crossing?  We're getting on as you get off QM2.

Thanks ALL for your kind thoughts. 😊

Weather has been good for the Atlantic-some patches of fog, some sunshine, brisk winds and variable temps. One day out from UK there was some movement but barely noticeable.

The staff have been very attentive and supportive, but I’m real happy that I’ll be home tomorrow.

I was told that I was NOT to place my luggage in the corridor tonight-I am to Keep it, and tomorrow at 10 I will be taken to an Immigration Officer who will be onboard. Then I head for my car which I had previously reserved.

Stripped Down: Bed skirting gone; no decorative pillows; only heavy drape-no window curtain; safe inoperable, no daily cleaning (that may have be due as I disembark tomorrow).

They call regularly from the Med Center, and the restaurant; food is very well done and delivered hot.

I think I’ve got a mild case-so far-and I’m glad I’ve had two vaccinations and two boosters.

Please all of you keep well-see y’all ‘round the ship.

• Like 7

That's pretty much what I expected 'stripped down' to mean. They're eliminating excess fabric that could harbor viruses. 

I stayed in a hotel last summer that had an oddly curved love-seat-sized sofa that was awkward to sit on. When I went in search of ice, I stumbled on a storage area. There were bins full of large decorative pillows that looked like they belonged on that kind of sofa.

I hope your case continues to be mild. Glad you'll be home shortly. There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed when you're ill.