Solo Dining - Advice or Tips

Hi All,

I'm going on my first solo cruise next week...starting off small with a short 3 day on Navigator in LA.  I'm leaving DH, and my two teens at home in favor of some much needed "me" time.  Not so coincidentally it'll also be my birthday on the first night of the sailing!  Although I love cruising with my family, I'm really looking forward to these few days so I can be on my own schedule, do what I want when I want to.

I've purchased the Ultimate Dining Package but I'm starting to get a little nervous on how it'll be seated by myself.  I figured I would be just fine dining alone as I'm not the most outgoing person there is but I'm afraid I'll feel awkward just sitting there with no conversation whatsoever.  What do I do...just sit and watch everyone else...lol?  Actually, I feel like they'll be noticing me more so since I'll be sitting alone and I'm starting to panic a little.

Does anyone have any advise or tips, or would like to share your own experiences on solo dining, especially in specialty restaurants?  I'm considering cancelling the dining package and could just go to MDR one night or WJ the rest.  Also, I'm not so sure I want sit with others.  I'm happy to meet and talk to people I've just met but usually don't love the eating with strangers part.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, tropiclvrs said:

Hi All,

I'm going on my first solo cruise next week...starting off small with a short 3 day on Navigator in LA.  I'm leaving DH, and my two teens at home in favor of some much needed "me" time.  Not so coincidentally it'll also be my birthday on the first night of the sailing!  Although I love cruising with my family, I'm really looking forward to these few days so I can be on my own schedule, do what I want when I want to.

I've purchased the Ultimate Dining Package but I'm starting to get a little nervous on how it'll be seated by myself.  I figured I would be just fine dining alone as I'm not the most outgoing person there is but I'm afraid I'll feel awkward just sitting there with no conversation whatsoever.  What do I do...just sit and watch everyone else...lol?  Actually, I feel like they'll be noticing me more so since I'll be sitting alone and I'm starting to panic a little.

Does anyone have any advise or tips, or would like to share your own experiences on solo dining, especially in specialty restaurants?  I'm considering cancelling the dining package and could just go to MDR one night or WJ the rest.  Also, I'm not so sure I want sit with others.  I'm happy to meet and talk to people I've just met but usually don't love the eating with strangers part.

Thanks in advance!

I felt the same way on the rare occasion when I traveled for work. I would take a book with me and before my meal arrived I would pretend to look at the book but was really spending more time people watching. You could take your cruise compass in with you and "study" that.

• Like 1

I'm just learning this myself. It's a bitawkward but I'm getting used to it. Some not me bring their phones to play with I just finished lunch in CK

Edited by molly361

Dined solo literally thousands of times during my career (20+ years averaging more than 150 days/year in hotels), and the only advice I can add is to pace yourself when you dine. I always ate a lot faster when dining alone, and it took me years (and about 40 extra pounds) to figure out how to slow down to a pace that I would be dining at if I was dining with others and engaging in conversation.

• Like 2

I hope you will keep and enjoy your dining package.  As others have said, bring either a book or something else to read.  It sounds like you are comfortable being with yourself and you will likely see others doing the same.  

When I did my one solo cruise, it was in conjunction with a work trip in Miami.  My DH doesn't love cruising as much as I do and he insisted that I should go and have a good time.  Like you are doing, it was a short one.  While I did miss him, it was nice to be able to do what I wanted to do on my own schedule.  

30 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

I felt the same way on the rare occasion when I traveled for work. I would take a book with me and before my meal arrived I would pretend to look at the book but was really spending more time people watching. You could take your cruise compass in with you and "study" that.

I like the idea of being a book and either reading a bit or pretending to read while actually people watching!

10 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Dined solo literally thousands of times during my career (20+ years averaging more than 150 days/year in hotels), and the only advice I can add is to pace yourself when you dine. I always ate a lot faster when dining alone, and it took me years (and about 40 extra pounds) to figure out how to slow down to a pace that I would be dining at if I was dining with others and engaging in conversation.

Great advice!  I tend to eat fast normally but would expect to do so even faster if I’m feeling awkward and want to get out of there.   
During my own time of business travel I’ve only had one dinner out on my own.  I sat at the bar so it was fine.  I’ve done breakfast on my own many times and that is fine for me also.  
I’ll try to keep things slow and just enjoy the meal and my quiet time.  

14 minutes ago, MBMGWM said:

I hope you will keep and enjoy your dining package.  As others have said, bring either a book or something else to read.  It sounds like you are comfortable being with yourself and you will likely see others doing the same.  

When I did my one solo cruise, it was in conjunction with a work trip in Miami.  My DH doesn't love cruising as much as I do and he insisted that I should go and have a good time.  Like you are doing, it was a short one.  While I did miss him, it was nice to be able to do what I wanted to do on my own schedule.  

I think I will miss my family at times to, and will probably at least once question my decision at some point but I know in the end I’ll be happy to have done it.  

Greetings from South Beach, tropiclvrs. If you want to be seated alone, you can ask for that. If not available,  and you are placed with others. just introduce yourself to whoever is there. You will be dining in a different venue every night with the package.

I am also traveling solo for the first time. My worst fear is ending solo on a charter where the bulk of passengers are undertakers or fertilizer salesmen. We once ended up on a Greek Island cruise chartered for 300 doctors and lawyers whose only interest was malpractice. We were part of the other 40 who had booked this trip. That group had use all event venues during the day.. The ship's defense was that we were welcome at every one. To be fair, evening shows were for everyone. We did attend a couple of  presentations. Our glimpse into the dark side of medicine had  a lasting impact on us. After that we always asked our TA to check for Charters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My wife and I always book my time dining. When we are seated we always end up chatting with the people next to us . The tables are about one foot apart.

Occasionally there are solo passengers next to us that welcome conversation.

I have never had a bad experience with anyone sitting next to us . 

I see you have a dining package , but i just wanted to share my experience in case you were looking at options.

Have a great cruise. 🙂

We went on a large tour. There was a solo traveler. She told me toward the end of the tour that she had wasted many days worrying about eating alone, not fitting in, being treated differently or with pity because she was solo. The only regret she had was all the worrying she did about that stuff prior to the trip.

You’ve eaten alone before. You will be fine. There will be others and you or they can strike up conversations…or not. There is no reason not to use your specialty dining just because of what “might” happen. Instead of thinking of all the “awkward” things that could happen, please spend your time imagining all the good things that could happen. The good is more likely. You deserve this treat for yourself. Please try not to diminish it. It will be different but it will be amazing.

• Like 2

I am not an outgoing person either and I recently did my first solo cruise. I had many of the same concerns as you but everything turned out fine. I ate every night in the main dining room except one night when I went to the buffet. In the main dining room I asked for a table by myself not near anyone else mainly because of Covid and they put me at a nice table next to the window. I had the same table and waiters every night which worked out perfectly.  I took the cruise compass to read at the table. Just go and have a good time. 

• Thanks 1

I have not cruised by myself, however there were times my party did not want to eat at the same time or place.  I would eat alone, sometimes I would bring my iPad to read and always put ear buds in.  That way even if I was not listening to anything, I would look like I was.  (Just in case I did not want any conversation with the tables around me.)  I don't know how the other cruisers would know that  you were solo if you don't tell them.  

• Like 1

As an avid solo cruiser the best advice I can give you is to keep that dining package and enjoy yourself.  Dining alone can seem “weird” at first, but trust me, no one cares (they are on vacation eating their meal, not judging you).  If you aren’t one to people watch, do what I do and bring your phone and earbuds…I personally listen to podcasts or audiobooks while I eat and in this day and age scrolling your phone while at a table is certainly not unusual.

I think you will find that solo cruising is liberating and highly addictive 😎. Bon Voyage 🥂

• Like 2

I've cruised solo and enjoy eating alone on those occasions. I am at one with my steak and glass of wine and life is good. I see no reason to have a book or other distraction .. but you can if that suits you. Just savor the solitude and food.

On a few occasions in the MDR, I've been sat at a large table with one other solo diner. It is often someone with whom I have zero in common. Yet by the end of the dinner, we've enjoyed each other's company. And I say that as a moderate introvert.

4 hours ago, tropiclvrs said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Been doing SOLO for 22yrs. Cruise Royal 30-55 nites a yr and when Eat in Main Dining enjoy getting Seated, eat and out the Door in 20-25Min. Eat Early and able to make early Show not needing to wait until Late Show. Many times other Tables ask me to join them feeling Sorry for me, always decline. Funny thing is almost always have a 4 Top, hate the tight next to each other 2 tops so this works for me... Relax and Enjoy!

Edited by ONECRUISER