Ovation of the seas library?

My family will be cruising on Ovation of the Seas (Seattle to Alaska this summer), we are all avid readers and will definitely need books. I know that there is a library on board, but is it more like a library or like that set of shelves in the laundry room with some old romance novels and a few other rejected books?

10 hours ago, jlederma said:

I know that there is a library on board, but is it more like a library or like that set of shelves in the laundry room with some old romance novels and a few other rejected books?

The latter.

• Like 1

The library on the OV is small. It's up on Deck 6, on the port side of Two70. There are a few cases of books and games, but not much.  There are some iMacs up there too.  Not a whole lot to choose from though.

I'm a librarian, so I understand your need. 🙂 If you don't already own a Kindle or Nook, check out your public library. My public library has several Kindles that can be checked out, and you can check out books from their eBook collection. I definitely know that it's not the same as a regular book, but to save on luggage space, it's a good alternative. And free. 🙂

And don't underestimate the power of audiobooks. A great voice actor can really make the story come alive. I'm planning on having some loaded into my Libby app to listen to while lounging in a chair in the Solarium. 

21 hours ago, crzndeb said:

On the Ovation now, and there are a couple of cases with books in the library area. I haven’t looked to see what kind.

Do they have computers in the library?

I'm a voracious reader, but realized many years ago that if I was going to have a wide range of reading material I had to go electronic or borrow from the library. I still love "real" books but given the dearth of bookstores I generally go to my library for hardbacks, and I buy Kindle of whatever the library doesn't carry.  I read the NYT review of books, Amazon's books of the month and other review sites and put interesting titles on my library waitlist.  It works pretty well, and  I've gone from spending approximately $400/month on books to about $30, and I always get the newest titles quickly. For a vacation I'll load 6-8 on my Kindle, but it is always a bonus to find a library on a ship.  NCL's newest ships generally carry a small but nice selection, with a real library, not just shelves in a game room.

Granted, I used to love my pre-vacation book store stop, but I can't turn time backwards and I'm not going to give up reading just because I don't care for the medium.