World cruise

38 minutes ago, lovegod01 said:

Do you have to be rich to be able to afford a world cruise 🚢 it’s something that I hope to do but feel out of reach financially 😂

No. I have followed world cruise blogs for years.  Not everyone was rich.  One loved her world cruise so much she did it again.

• Like 2

My in-laws have done two. They're comfortable but by no means rich. I think if you save up for it, don't have a lot of debt, you can do it.

Considering your meals are covered and you don't HAVE to spend a cent extra if you don't want to, I believe the per-day rate is excellent, especially if you get on it as soon as they're released and secure one of the cheapest interior cabins.

For me, it'd be finding the time off to do it. So even though it IS something that I would like to do, it'll have to wait probably until we retire, or at least until the kids have finished school.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lovegod01 said:

Do you have to be rich to be able to afford a world cruise 🚢 it’s something that I hope to do but feel out of reach financially 😂

Well we aren't "rich" if you mean rich is "oh yeah lets go do that"🙂

We have to plan for it and save up, usually takes us about 4 years of careful budget to afford the cruise.

But if you consider what most people spend each year on small holidays, it would probably go a long way over that amount of time towards a world cruise.

It depends on how much you really want to do it I suppose.

Some time we can squeeze in a  short trip if we can get a good special.

But because we love cruising we make the effort, its not easy, but there you go.

So to answer your question, no I don't believe you have to be rich, just determined you want to do it.😉

Regards

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

I too have wondered about a world cruise.....

especially what ship &/or what cruise line..

I am leaning towards a mid sized ship as a lot of open oceans to navigate.

There is only one world cruise that operates Australia/NZ return. For all the others you have to fly to and from the originating port.

Princess are currently using Coral Princess for their Australia/NZ world cruises. She holds 2000 passengers and appears to have a good selection of public spaces. We have three cruises booked on her over the next few months so I'll have a better idea of what she'll be like for a world cruise by then.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is only one world cruise that operates Australia/NZ return. For all the others you have to fly to and from the originating port.

In regards to the others as well as the airfares the problem for me is that they usually spend 10- 20 days in Australia and New zealand which I've already been to most of the ports and don't want to pay the premium cost per day of a world cruise to visit Aus/NZ ports.

8 hours ago, lovegod01 said:

Have you thought about doing a Grand Voyage?

Sometimes you can pick up relocation cruises such as Southampton to Sydney for a good price.

Not a world cruise but a lot cheaper and some of them do go halfway around the world. 😁

8 hours ago, lovegod01 said:

World cruises aren't cheap but you don't have to be rich, you just have to budget well and in advance. The current Princess world cruise is 110 days so that does add up to a fair bit of money for fares, and there are a few costs during the cruise you also have to budget for and, of course, travel insurance.

So these are the things I budget for:

1. The cruise fare. Princess offers two types of fares - Saver and Plus. The Plus fare is $40pp per day dearer but includes a full drinks package and full internet, which is extremely good value for money.

2. Excursions. If you're doing a world cruise you want to maximise your experience at most of the ports and the best way to do this is on excursions at many of the ports, whether operated by the cruise line or private. Princess usually has examples of all of its excursions available for browsing online so you can get a rough idea of costs. Note: general browsing, ie not selected from a booked cruise, will show the prices in USD so you have to factor in the exchange rate to AUD. Excursions are the next biggest expense on a world cruise.

3. Shore spending. If you're not doing an excursion that includes refreshments, or only doing a half day excursion along with some self-exploration, budget some money for lunch or coffees/drinks and/or souvenirs.

4. Visas may be required for some countries you visit.

5. Laundry. Princess has laundrettes so you can do your own at $3 to wash and another $3 to dry. I think laundry powder is $1.50 or $2 but we usually take our own. Of course if you're Elite on Princess you get free laundry but it can take three days to get it back.

6. Haircuts etc. On a 110 day cruise you may need haircuts, or other treatments so budget for those.

7. I always budget for a few speciality restaurant meals ($25-$29pp) for variety, for a special occasion, or when you just want a quiet dinner.

I think that's pretty well all the things that need to be budgeted for.

4 hours ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

I too have wondered about a world cruise.....

especially what ship &/or what cruise line..

I am leaning towards a mid sized ship as a lot of open oceans to navigate.

We have done 2 WC in what some people think of as smaller ships, the Dawn Princess, and Sea Princess, both sun class ships of around 2000 passenger's, and a half WC on the Emerald princess, considered a mid size ship of about 2500 passenger's I think. All three ships were more than comfortable safe ships for world cruises.

In fact a lot of people have very fond memories of cruising on the sun class ships.

The current ship doing the WC's in Australia is the Coral Princess a similar ship to the sun class.

Plan, Save, Budget, and give it ago.😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

We have done 2 WC in what some people think of as smaller ships, the Dawn Princess, and Sea Princess, both sun class ships of around 2000 passenger's, and a half WC on the Emerald princess, considered a mid size ship of about 2500 passenger's I think. All three ships were more than comfortable safe ships for world cruises.

In fact a lot of people have very fond memories of cruising on the sun class ships.

The current ship doing the WC's in Australia is the Coral Princess a similar ship to the sun class.

Plan, Save, Budget, and give it ago.😉

Your half-world on the Emerald Princess - was it the UK to Australia 'Four Continents cruise' in 2016 or was it part of a full world cruise?

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Your half-world on the Emerald Princess - was it the UK to Australia 'Four Continents cruise' in 2016 or was it part of a full world cruise?

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

UK to Australia 'Four Continents cruise' in 2016

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

You don't have to be, but if you aren't you will be coming home to a mountain of debt. ☹️

I'm assuming that was tongue in cheek😁

41 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

UK to Australia 'Four Continents cruise' in 2016

That was a great cruise. We were on it and found the mix of passengers (one-third UK, one-third from USA and one-third Aussie) very interesting. We had many interesting discussions about the run-up to the USA Presidential election that was in the news at the time.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

5. Laundry. Princess has laundrettes so you can do your own at $3 to wash and another $3 to dry. I think laundry powder is $1.50 or $2 but we usually take our own.

Is this the case on all Princess ships and cruises that you have to pay to use the laundromat?

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Is this the case on all Princess ships and cruises that you have to pay to use the laundromat?

Yes. I don't know if there's any lines that provide free laundromats?  RCL and I think a couple of others don't even have laundromats available for passengers to use.

5 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes you have to pay to use the washers and extra for the dryers.

Also you have to pay for wash powder, if as LittleFish1976 said you don't take your own powder.

Edited by Ozwoody

4 minutes ago, losfp said:

Yes. I don't know if there's any lines that provide free laundromats?  RCL and I think a couple of others don't even have laundromats available for passengers to use.

Cunard have free laundromats and Crystal used to when they were still around.

I haven't cruised extensively so don't have experience on other lines.

Edited by LittleFish1976

2 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

We usually take a small packet of wash powder, and a small container that is a wash load size to decanter into, so we don't have to carry the full packet around.

I used to use Omo pods and took enough for the cruise, plus a couple extra, in a small container.