Q & A for those cruising Princess June 16, 19, 23 & 26 out of Brisbane

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

How many glasses would that be?  

The average bottle of wine is considered to be 8 standard drinks, but normally there is roughly 5 glasses of wine to the bottle. So at a meal my wife an I would consume 4 standard drinks each.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

The average bottle of wine is considered to be 8 standard drinks, but normally there is roughly 5 glasses of wine to the bottle. So at a meal my wife an I would consume 4 standard drinks each.

Not with this glass, lol. 2 bottles per glass, if your gonna have a drink, have a drink.

amy-schumer-white-wine-huge-glass.jpg.c285ae2f39c421936a48aa4173840321.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Even the "Plus Package" wines are a rip off.That Leasingham Riesling they want $86 a bottle for actually costs $18 retail, and I bet they didn't pay more than $9 for it wholesale, probably less.

I'm flying in for my cruise, so I can't carry much wine, but I intend to visit a local retailer near the port and get a few quality bottles to take on the ship. Even with the corkage, it's a winner for me. If enough people do it, maybe they might get the message?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Even the "Plus Package" wines are a rip off.That Leasingham Riesling they want $86 a bottle for actually costs $18 retail, and I bet they didn't pay more than $9 for it wholesale, probably less.

I'm flying in for my cruise, so I can't carry much wine, but I intend to visit a local retailer near the port and get a few quality bottles to take on the ship. Even with the corkage, it's a winner for me. If enough people do it, maybe they might get the message?

Ah yes, but what message will they get??

Lets hope its not enforcing a single bottle each😠

But a rip off is a rip off, and should be called out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I can imagine the poor wines on offer must be disappointing to wine drinkers.  Would it be better to not pay extra for a wine package and buy a bottle of your favourite wine, which they keep for you to serve each night?

They've never offered the wine packages in Australia and I think they no longer offer them overseas either. We did have them on two cruises and they were good value. With the Plus package you do get a 25% on bottles of wine but it's annoying to have to buy bottles when theoretically you've paid for wine in your Plus fare.

• Like 1

But it's not just the cost of the wines, it's the extremely poor selection. There are so many good Australian wines that they could have bought post-pandemic and after the Chinese tariff problems. I'm very gIad I didn't take the Plus package. I would pay a reasonable price for a good quality bottle. Seeing that awful choice is really annoying.

Edited by cruiser3775

13 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

If you look at it that way all land-based restaurants are rip-offs too. We've just had lunch with family at a restaurant in Palm Cove and I spotted a pinot grigio on their wine list that is also on the ship in Sabatinis. $48 on the ship and $71 at the restaurant.

In my opinion it is unfair to compare shipboard prices with bottle store prices. The ship as all of the added costs that a restaurant does - ensuring ongoing supply, delivery costs, storage at correct temperatures, providing glasses, and serving it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiser3775 said:

But it's not just the cost of the wines, it's the extremely poor selection. There are so many good Australian wines that they could have bought post-pandemic and after the Chinese tariff problems. I would pay a reasonable price for a good quality bottle. Seeing that awful choice is really annoying.

Yes, it's not the cost that is annoying us as well, it's the poor quality of the wines and the fact that the wines they offered previously by the glass were decent quality with plenty of variety to suit all palates.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you look at it that way all land-based restaurants are rip-offs too. We've just had lunch with family at a restaurant in Palm Cove and I spotted a pinot grigio on their wine list that is also on the ship in Sabatinis. $48 on the ship and $71 at the restaurant.

In my opinion it is unfair to compare shipboard prices with bottle store prices. The ship as all of the added costs that a restaurant does - ensuring ongoing supply, delivery costs, storage at correct temperatures, providing glasses, and serving it.

Have to disagree Julie, all rip offs, ships, restaurants, 700 % mark up is robbery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Have to disagree Julie, all rip offs, ships, restaurants, 700 % mark up is robbery.

I have to agree with Les, a rip off of that size is beyond a joke.

A fair mark up considering all costs an organization incurs and a reasonable profit is to be expected.

But you should not expect to have one product be the make all, to justify a profit on trading.

I believe once you go past a certain point, you turn your customer's off, and they start looking else ware.

For Princess it's not just the wine, a number of things are starting to show, gouging in my opinion.

Which is sad because up until now, I have loved travelling with them.

The gloss is dimming a little.🥺

• Like 1

To give you some idea of real wine prices our current home drinking Shiraz has a cellar door price of $50.00 and I was, was as in the particular year is no longer available, paying $15.00/bottle buying 3 dozen at a time. Most of the reds and whites we drink have a Shop price of $25-$35, and I pay no more than $12 50 for any of them. Believe me, shops and ships buy better than I do. The only downside for most people is the quantity you have to buy each time.

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 4

A quick question for CBtours or anyone else in a Suite on Coral Princess.  We have just returned from 19-23 Coral cruise and loved it.  We had a suite this time which is a rarity for us.  They were available on Dolphin and Caribe decks.  We chose Dolphin as we were told that the balconies were 'fully covered' on Dolphin (which they were) but only partially covered on Caribe.  Could anyone on Caribe confirm this please for future reference.  We spend quite a bit of time on our balcony, especially in a suite, and prefer fully covered balconies.  Also, as a suite perk, Princess, on their Suite Benefits flyer, list complimentary use of the Thermal Suites (the heated lounges and steam rooms etc) on certain ships and it includes Coral Princess on the list.  However when I went to have a tour of the Spa facilities, I asked if the Thermal Suite was complimentary for full suite passengers and the answer was 'no'.  I meant to check at the Services Desk why this was so, but did not get there.  Has anyone else used the thermal facilities as part of a suite benefit?  Thank you.

• Like 1

Just now, Tripmode33 said:

A quick question for CBtours or anyone else in a Suite on Coral Princess.  We have just returned from 19-23 Coral cruise and loved it.  We had a suite this time which is a rarity for us.  They were available on Dolphin and Caribe decks.  We chose Dolphin as we were told that the balconies were 'fully covered' on Dolphin (which they were) but only partially covered on Caribe.  Could anyone on Caribe confirm this please for future reference.  We spend quite a bit of time on our balcony, especially in a suite, and prefer fully covered balconies.  Also, as a suite perk, Princess, on their Suite Benefits flyer, list complimentary use of the Thermal Suites (the heated lounges and steam rooms etc) on certain ships and it includes Coral Princess on the list.  However when I went to have a tour of the Spa facilities, I asked if the Thermal Suite was complimentary for full suite passengers and the answer was 'no'.  I meant to check at the Services Desk why this was so, but did not get there.  Has anyone else used the thermal facilities as part of a suite benefit?  Thank you.

Hi there, glad you enjoyed your cruise. We have loved every minute. We’re on caribe and love the balcony. It’s half covered which suits us perfect.

We went and looked at the thermal suite when we first got on and they definitely confirmed it us a suite complimentary benefit, we just didn’t use it,

I’ll add some pics of our balcony to see if you can compare coverage.

0F9076C0-D362-4C79-B872-0BAA4D3BA3EF.jpeg

6D62C609-4191-4BC1-87F2-64CA33DD6CDA.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for photos of balcony. I think I do prefer our Dolphin fully covered. May have slight advantages in poor weather and a little more private from above being fully covered. Either way, really enjoyed being spoilt re the suite and it's benefits.  Thanks also for confirming re the thermal suite. Good to know.

• Like 1

Would anyone have a current Princess cocktail bar menu, preferably Wheelhouse or Crooners?

We have the Plus package and I've read with interest the comments on the quality of the wine and value for money... or lack of.  I can cope with quaffing wine but I don't want to miss out on my Bombay Sapphire 007 martini. Other cruise lines give details of what spirits are included in the various packages but Princess only gives the price so I'd like to find out whether $16 is going to buy me the drink of my choice.  It'll be a three year gap between drinks so I'm sure you'll understand the gravity of the situation!

cheers

Stu

2 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

Would anyone have a current Princess cocktail bar menu, preferably Wheelhouse or Crooners?

We have the Plus package and I've read with interest the comments on the quality of the wine and value for money... or lack of.  I can cope with quaffing wine but I don't want to miss out on my Bombay Sapphire 007 martini. Other cruise lines give details of what spirits are included in the various packages but Princess only gives the price so I'd like to find out whether $16 is going to buy me the drink of my choice.  It'll be a three year gap between drinks so I'm sure you'll understand the gravity of the situation!

cheers

Stu

I'm having trouble finding a printed bar cocktail list to photograph as all the drinks show up on your app. It's too hard to screenshot all the app screens though.

But I can assure you they do have Bombay Sapphire onboard under Plus. The classic gin martini under the Plus package is made with Hendricks but they will make it with other gins on request.

Here you go, screenshots just for you!

Screenshot_20220702-112227_MedallionClass.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-112203_MedallionClass.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

cheers

Stu

There is also a list of some of the cocktails on one of the other recent threads, and many of the Crooners staples sit within the $16 plus package cap.

18 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

cheers

Stu

Found it Stu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuartm said:

cheers

Stu

Thank you so much arxcards for going to all that bother and putting me out of my misery.  As the Bombay Sapphire shows as cheaper than the Hendricks I will certainly be able to enjoy my OO7 as we have on all our cruises in the last 14 years. Now I just have to be patient until December 21st when we board the Majestic.

thanks again

cheers

Stu

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

Thank you so much arxcards for going to all that bother and putting me out of my misery.  As the Bombay Sapphire shows as cheaper than the Hendricks I will certainly be able to enjoy my OO7 as we have on all our cruises in the last 14 years. Now I just have to be patient until December 21st when we board the Majestic.

thanks again

cheers

Stu

No probs. I can't wait to be sitting in Crooners again in 48 days. Mine will be vodka and dirty.

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have taken screenshots of the full beverage menus on the app but won't have time to post them until we reach home next week.

I hope you don't get caught up in the forecast bad weather.  

53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have taken screenshots of the full beverage menus on the app but won't have time to post them until we reach home next week.

Thanks, OZKiwiJJ, look forward to seeing them.

Can I ask a question about the tap water onboard. Is it heavily chlorinated? I can bring a water bottle with a filter, but won't bother if the taste is OK.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 4:20 PM, Ozwoody said:

Ah yes, but what message will they get??

Lets hope its not enforcing a single bottle each😠

But a rip off is a rip off, and should be called out.

You can bring as many as you like. One bottle each attracts no corkage unless you consume it in their restaurants. All additional bottles attract corkage.

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks, OZKiwiJJ, look forward to seeing them.

Can I ask a question about the tap water onboard. Is it heavily chlorinated? I can bring a water bottle with a filter, but won't bother if the taste is OK.

The only time I drink it is when it's heavily iced and I don't notice the chlorine taste then. It will be chlorinated but I'm not sure how heavily. Sorry.

But just a thought, on some past cruises I could smell it when showering and I haven't noticed that on this cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1