The Daily for Sunday 05/15/2022

richwmn

@USN59-79A fun thing to do is use a vinegar bottle and grow a cucumber in it. When it's time to pick the cucumber, boil some vinegar and add some fresh dill. Fill the bottle and put the lid on it. It's amazing the explanations people can come up with on how the pickle got in the bottle. DH used it in his 2nd grade class for years.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow, you poor thing - you have really had your hands full (and I’m sure you’re heart as well).  I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is improving.

And more glad that you have pulled the plug for a few days.  If it isn’t enough, take a few more days off - it sounds like you will need it.

Most stuff can wait for 2 or 3 days and there are other people.  (Another pot calling the kettle black) but seriously, your health has to come first, please take care and take all the time you need when and if you need it.  Please?  

Oops @aliaschief my sincere apologies Bruce, I thought I had chosen a happy anniversary meme - I guess my fat finger missed and I was not focused enough to notice.  Please accept my apologies and happy anniversary

0A9D98FE-63B1-4593-8BA0-9A2BCB47D39B.thumb.jpeg.1a11ac52d723fa460b9155d11a4f885b.jpeg

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow, you poor thing - you have really had your hands full (and I’m sure you’re heart as well).  I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is improving.

And more glad that you have pulled the plug for a few days.  If it isn’t enough, take a few more days off - it sounds like you will need it.

Most stuff can wait for 2 or 3 days and there are other people.  (Another pot calling the kettle black) but seriously, your health has to come first, please take care and take all the time you need when and if you need it.  Please?  

Oops @aliaschief my sincere apologies Bruce, I thought I had chosen a happy anniversary meme - I guess my fat finger missed and I was not focused enough to notice.  Please accept my apologies and happy anniversary

0A9D98FE-63B1-4593-8BA0-9A2BCB47D39B.thumb.jpeg.1a11ac52d723fa460b9155d11a4f885b.jpeg

+1

• Like 7

4 hours ago, msmayor said:

To all the Daily friends - I'm confident that the prayers and good thoughts have been felt by my daughter, and I think it is finally safe to say that she can exit the rotation on the care list...

I know that I have been remiss in posting, and that is mostly because my days have been overwhelmed with work tasks (I am responsible for both HR and all things finance...and we've had no fewer than eight Covid-positive results in the past four weeks, and that included 2 of my 3 staff).  My only 'screen time' has been devoted to my daughter - once I left VA the second time, I offered to Skype with her each evening to remain connected as in-person as we could, and she could unload any anxiety that we could talk through.  We spend about 45-60 minutes a night connected, and it has really contributed to helping her.  

The daily medication has finally hit her stride and physically, she's recovered very well from the gall bladder removal.  She's carefully introducing more fats to her diet with no side effects.  She's been able to get outside almost daily for walks with Lana, and finally...FINALLY...having the time she wanted to enjoy motherhood.  She's still with a counselor, and on a list to join a new-mothers' group through her OB, but definitely doing much better.  

I hit a brick wall at work this week and told my boss I was taking Mon-Tue off, so this is a long 4-day weekend for me.  I told everyone I was going to disconnect from the work-grid and not answer anything.  Told them all, if it was an emergency (especially HR-related), to reach out to my boss and if he feels I need to be involved, he has the 'break glass in case of emergency' way to reach me.  I know that he will do everything he can to NOT text me, and I appreciate that.

My husband and I took the opportunity today to drive out to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA (we're members, so unlimited visits whenever we want) to get some inspiration for the garden plantings.  I intend to hit up the nursery tomorrow or Tuesday to buy some annuals and see what perennials will fit in the landscape.  

Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite of mine, and fit squarely into a story about my very first cruise.  Back in 1986...on Carnival's Tropicale...I was sailing solo and enjoyed a table of 10 total diners.  One guy asked for milk every single night, so the servers ended up making sure it was there for him before we ever arrived.  On the night we were in port at Puerto Vallarta, all aboard wasn't until 10pm and most of the table was eating dinner ashore, but me and another woman opted to dine on board.  The server was distraught - he'd already poured the milk, and said he would get in major trouble if he brought a full glass back into the kitchen.  I jokingly said to him..."I'd drink it, but I need warm chocolate chip cookies to go with it".  Five minutes later, a half-dozen fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies were by my side, and every night after that.  THAT hooked me!

@Rowsby I hope that you have a wonderful visit to Hawaii and it recharges your soul...

@kazu I continue to think of you, and my walks at Longwood today made me think of the beautiful garden photos you've shared previously.  Thank you for teaching us all how to have 'greener' thumbs...here are few of the pictures that I hope will inspire me this year:

05.15.22 - 2.jpg

05.15.22 - 3.jpg

05.15.22 - 4.jpg

05.15.22 -1.jpg

It was good to see your post today.  In fact, I was thinking about you and your daughter, so I was very glad to read that she recovered from her gallbladder surgery.  Even better was the news she is enjoying motherhood now.

I was sorry to read about the problems at work.  Your were wise to take a few days off to regroup.  It sounds like you have a one-in-a-millionn boss.

When we lived in Chester County, PA, we would go to Longwood gardens often, and take visiting relatives there.  It is a fascinating place.

Lenda

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It was good to see your post today.  In fact, I was thinking about you and your daughter, so I was very glad to read that she recovered from her gallbladder surgery.  Even better was the news she is enjoying motherhood now.

I was sorry to read about the problems at work.  Your were wise to take a few days off to regroup.  It sounds like you have a one-in-a-millionn boss.

When we lived in Chester County, PA, we would go to Longwood gardens often, and take visiting relatives there.  It is a fascinating place.

Lenda

I do indeed have a great boss...when I was in VA for the second trip, I was logging in to work an hour here and there from the hospital, and over the three days I was out of the office I figured I worked a total of one...so I put in for two days of PTO.  He declined the request, insisting I must have done more work...and said 'take the time when you can really ENJOY the time'.

Even though we've lived in this area for many years, we only went to Longwood the first time in the fall of 2020, trying to find something we could do during Covid lockdowns.  Walking around outside seemed to be the best idea, and even though back then we had to wear masks outside we still felt very comfortable.  Loved it so much we became members, and now make plans to go 4-5 times a year.  It's at least two hours of walking, seeing pretty things and just talking with my husband about whatever we want.

• Like 4