Singles Get Togethers

Asking for my DD22 . . . . .

For those of you that have attended these events, there is a "Singles Get-Together" scheduled for the first day of our cruise.

She is wondering if, as a 22-year-old, is it worth her while to attend?

What is the general crowd like (ages, etc.)?

Thanks,

Travel R

I don't have any direct experience with this but am aware of their occurrences on board.  As the name implies, it is intended for singles, targeting adults.  The mix would depend on the demographics of those singles who happen to be on board that particular sailing.  No real way to predict if they would be younger or older, but I would expect a mix of different ages. 

I would think the only way to find out would be to have her attend. If it is not to her liking, she can just leave and not attend any further planned gatherings.  But I would think there would be others in her same age group so it may be a good way to meet others to be able to spend time with during the cruise if desired.  What does she have to lose?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Travel R said:

Asking for my DD22 . . . . .

For those of you that have attended these events, there is a "Singles Get-Together" scheduled for the first day of our cruise.

She is wondering if, as a 22-year-old, is it worth her while to attend?

What is the general crowd like (ages, etc.)?

Thanks,

Travel R

I am sure they do an 18-25 meetup onboard? Failing that your daughter can simply hang out in the club at night and meet younger people that way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

My brother has gone to a couple.  What I saw was an older demographic, primarily women.  YMMV.

Agree, I was either only Guy or one other. This at Evening or Single Luncheons. Even though don't attend I always peek in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

I am sure they do an 18-25 meetup onboard? Failing that your daughter can simply hang out in the club at night and meet younger people that way.

Have seen those on my last Cruises, but it was 18-20. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Have seen those on my last Cruises, but it was 18-20. 

NCL is 18-25. Not too sure about Royal but I don't think if it is 18-20 that they will have a problem with a  22 year old attending.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

My brother has gone to a couple.  What I saw was an older demographic, primarily women.  YMMV.

Was it your brother or you that saw these events.😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

NCL is 18-25. Not too sure about Royal but I don't think if it is 18-20 that they will have a problem with a  22 year old attending.

Just going by what was on my last 4 Royal Cruises inc last Month. Think it's for 18-20 non-drinkers, younger Teens get together in their Club, 21 and over can Drink. On Planner was listed the 18-20 would meet Sea Days on Sports Deck is one places I saw

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for your input so far.

I figured the Singles Get Togethers are more for an older demographic. Although figured the proportion of men to women would be reversed.

Not sure if it matters, but this is for an Alaskan itinerary on the Serenade. I have read through the Compass for the same itinerary (two weeks ago) and there was no mention of any meet-ups for any age groups 18-20 or the 21 and over crowd.

I do remember seeing a 21+ meet-up on an NCL ship when I was researching this vacation, but as mentioned, nothing on this ship for this itinerary.

I will give her the info and let her do with it as she wishes.

What is funny is that I am the one that is more interested in this info than my daughter, who does have some interest in what I find out, but is one that will just go with the flow. Although not very extroverted, she is the kind of person that will strike up a conversation with someone about her age while on line or sitting at the buffet or something similar.

Thanks again,

Travel R

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I know she went out with her friends to bars/clubs/parties while at school. Although she is not a drinker, she goes to socialize with her friends. It will be interesting to see if she would go to the club (Vortex) for the purposes of meeting people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Oh it was him for sure.  He ended up meeting someone and they spent a good deal of the rest of the cruise together.

Glad he found someone.  I basically was teasing in that you indicated that what "you saw", unless he showed you photos of the gathering(s).

26 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Glad he found someone.  I basically was teasing in that you indicated that what "you saw", unless he showed you photos of the gathering(s).

I got that.  FWIW, my wife and I were happier with the girl than my brother.  He's what Steve Martin might classify as a Wild and Crazy guy!  😉

As a solo and single traveler, I looked at the Compass last week from Ovation. They had a singles meet up in Music Hall at 5:30 and a Solo’s meetup in both Vintages and Boleros at 7:30. I only checked a couple of days, but it does seem like they had had 2. I don’t normally attend, but a friend went last Oct. on Ovation, and there was a mix, mostly older. It doesn’t hurt if she just checks it out a couple of times. If the crowd doesn’t mesh with her, she doesn’t have to go back.

Don’t the majority of the single people in their twenties use the dating apps nowadays? I wonder whether the current location feature on Tinder or the other dating apps would work at sea and hence return other singles on board for her to potentially match with? However, I have no doubt as soon as she comes across other “kids” around her age—especially others bored on vacation with their parents, lol—they’ll immediately gravitate toward each other and start chatting.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

When I was single and traveling solo, I would do a "walk by" wherever the get together was being held, and depending on what the crowd looked like I would decide whether to go in or not.

As has been mentioned above, depending on the demographic of people on that particular sailing it happened to be a lot of fun, and I made some friends I got to hang out with during the rest of the cruise, or I didn't meet anybody in that event, and ended up finding people with similar interests in other activities throughout the week.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

On my last cruise the ages ranged from 20-70+ at the solos get together. Mostly women,  and we met up for a drink most evenings before dinner.

The get togethers do vary depending on ship and itinerary of course.

I am the OP for this thread, so as a follow-up from last year's cruise . .  .

My DD went down to the scheduled Singles Get Together, but she said that all she saw were old women and men (majority were women). If I remember, she said that they were a lot "older" - meaning 40+ and did not see anyone in her age range.

She did meet young adults closer to her age in some of the bars in the evenings that were just hanging around.

3 hours ago, Travel R said:

I am the OP for this thread, so as a follow-up from last year's cruise . .  .

My DD went down to the scheduled Singles Get Together, but she said that all she saw were old women and men (majority were women). If I remember, she said that they were a lot "older" - meaning 40+ and did not see anyone in her age range.

She did meet young adults closer to her age in some of the bars in the evenings that were just hanging around.

There needs to be better definition between Single and Solo Travellers - personally, I'm happy to chat to anyone from 19-90. I'm not looking for a husband (have had mine for 41 years but he's not a fan of cruising) .. I'm not looking for new friends to tag along with ... but it can be a nice way to meet other people and pass some time.

• Like 1