Alaska Cruisers, what did you enjoy

kibutzer

On 5/17/2022 at 7:03 AM, kibutzer said:

Here's hoping returning Alaska cruisers will post excursion comments in Ports of Call, and Regatta reviews. Missing hearing about the adventures Regatta.

Ok.... this is a common error.       I used to as a NPS Ranger got asked that sort of question 10 x a day in many places...Alaska being one.       The answer is  there are no must do or best tours or activities.   It is you to decide and determine what lights your fire.   

Whatever I or anyone likes  is only salent to them.     You will have 10X  a better experience  by taking time and reading and researching about Alaska  and be able to  discover and enjoy things that YOU found that connected with you emotions....  not mine or someone's.

reasearch is like mining, you dig through tons of stuff  and  find jewells you never knew

Start today.......

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Strange, I thought asking for people's experiences on Cruise Critic was a form of research.  😉

Yep that's what I thought too. Also that those who have extensive experience  would love to share their knowledge. I have done alot of research and personal experience helps put context on that information. Just my humble point of view.

• Like 3

If you are going to be in Ketchikan and you get a good day, the Floatplane trips up to the lakes and around is wonderful, that is if flying in a small plane appeals to you.  We have flown with Michele on Island Wings Air a couple times, fantastic. Excellent pilot, over 30 years up there. The flights sell out and their price is better than the ship excursion price and include pick up and return to the Rain Gauge, a Ketchikan central meeting point. 

Enjoy Alaska, we have many times, a special land.

Mauibabes

Skagway - White Pass and Yukon Railway - Book Alaska Shore Excursions with White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

Juneau - whale watching with Harv and Marv - Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska | Juneau Whale Watching (harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com)

Mendenhall Glacier

Ketchikan- easily walkable - Creek Steet for fun shops, etc.  Totem Park

I recommend Michelle of Island Wings too.  It was a great trip to Misty Fjords – one of the highlights of our trip!

https://www.islandwings.com

In Skagway we used Chilkoot Charters for their Bennett Scenic Journey with the White Pass Railway up to Carcross then a coach further to Bennett Lake and then back to Skagway.  It was excellent.  But note that all these trips are stopping at the US-Canada border this year.

https://chilkootcharters.com/bennett-scenic-journey/

The other major highlight of our (pre-)trip was the Grand Denali With Glacier Landing flightseeing tour from Talkeetna Air Taxi:

https://www.talkeetnaair.com/flightseeing/grand-denali/

Agree with the Skagway - bus up, train down.  There's a bar in Skagway that serves spruce tip beer - decent place for fish and a beer for lunch.  

Whale watching wherever it's offered.

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

If you are going to be in Ketchikan and you get a good day, the Floatplane trips up to the lakes and around is wonderful, that is if flying in a small plane appeals to you.  We have flown with Michele on Island Wings Air a couple times, fantastic. Excellent pilot, over 30 years up there. The flights sell out and their price is better than the ship excursion price and include pick up and return to the Rain Gauge, a Ketchikan central meeting point. 

Enjoy Alaska, we have many times, a special land.

Mauibabes

A big Plus 1 for Michele and Island Wings.  My son and I flew with her some years ago on a picture perfect day.

my favorites.  Flight over Misty fjords, Ketchikan crab boat and crab feast, and white pass railroad.  In Juneau, salmon hatchery was interesting.  Mendenhall glacier is melting.  Saw it in 2003. It was spectacular. Drive up.  In 2019,  lake where the road used to be.  Still worth seeing. Don’t do salmon bake.