45 days restaurant reservation question

thepla

Hi. At 45 days reservations opened up. Since I'm traveling with my 14 year old I reserved to have private table. I did this because so many negative comments about bringing a minor on Oceania..

Only 9 pm was open for both restaurants. When I select random table option many earlier times opened up.  It seemed I could add a third reservation (second for one restaurant) but I did not complete to see if it would complete.

My question is 9pm only option to dine at private table? I did do at exactly 45 days.

Keep checking  or  when you get onboard go to the reservations desk & ask if you can have an earlier time

Or select sharing

Most people may not object to  a 14 yr  old  for one night 

Enjoy

3 minutes ago, thepla said:

Hi. At 45 days reservations opened up. Since I'm traveling with my 14 year old I reserved to have private table. I did this because so many negative comments about bringing a minor on Oceania..

Only 9 pm was open for both restaurants. When I select random table option many earlier times opened up.  It seemed I could add a third reservation (second for one restaurant) but I did not complete to see if it would complete.

My question is 9pm only option to dine at private table? I did do at exactly 45 days.

We’d be fine with a teen at a shared table. And I applaud you for taking the kid on a cruise where s/he can interact with often well-traveled adults. What a terrific learning experience!

And, yes, it’s “slim pickin’s” for private tables at the 45 day mark. Know that many folks are perched at their computer and go immediately to the restaurant bookings at 00.01 Eastern when their booking time arrives.

FWIW: It’s easier to get them on port days than sea days. Also easier on first and last night of the cruise.

You can also try to trade your reservation(s) via the concierge/maitre d’ handling that on embarkation day. Moreover, you can add same day reservations on a space available basis. If you have a butler, s/he can do it for you.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

How easy will it be to get a shared table at 6:30 pm?

Shared is much easier to get than private and 6:30PM is often not a problem for pre-reserve at the “45 days out” mark. However, remember that the usual situation is “sea days” have the most demand for specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

Talk to the Maitre D’s in each restaurant on Day 1 and ask if they can accommodate you even though you might have later reservations. 
We have found they can be quite accommodating so it never hurts to ask. Often on the first day the Specialty Dining Reservation Desk on Deck 5 is offering available reservations for that first night because all the restaurants are light on reservations.  You should be able to pick virtually any restaurant and get in at 6:30. 
Good luck

Mauibabes

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

How easy will it be to get a shared table at 6:30 pm?

Depends on your fellow shipmates

We usually do not have a problem  getting a 2 top for 6:30pm pre covid

Oskidunker

if you were in a PH I am sure you could make requests like this of your Butler and he would be able to make it happen for you.  Since you are talking about reservations 45 days out,I presume you are not in a PH. 
Still, on Embarkation Day, go straight to the Specialty Dining Reservation Desk on Deck 5 and see what they can do for you. 

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Keep checking  or  when you get onboard go to the reservations desk & ask if you can have an earlier time

Or select sharing

Most people may not object to  a 14 yr  old  for one night 

Enjoy

I for one am not knowing for adoring children but I would have NO problem at all with a well behaved 14 year old at the table.  And I have to assume he would be well behaved.

Agree with Lyn about this.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies.  I consider him to be well behaved, very high iq, over 160 and third in state for scholastic bowl. He clearly will fit in most conversations, if engaged.  He is fine with sharing or eating two dinners. One normal time, one at 9pm:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thepla said:

Thanks for replies.  I consider him to be well behaved, very high iq, over 160 and third in state for scholastic bowl. He clearly will fit in most conversations, if engaged.  He is fine with sharing or eating two dinners. One normal time, one at 9pm:)

LOL

Yes growing boys  you wonder where they put  all that food 

I am sure it will be fine  or he may not want to sit with some adults  either 😉

Enjoy the cruise

We were on a cruise where we were seated with an older couple and their two grandchildren.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  The youngsters, about ages 10 and 13, were well-mannered and eager to share their experiences in ports.  It was fun to watch them experience new tastes in the specialty restaurant.  We enjoyed it so much that we sat with them again a few nights later in the GDR.  Your son sounds like an impressive young man.  As a retired educator, I would love to be seated with someone who ranks third in state in Scholastic Bowl ~ sounds like a strong basis for stimulating conversation.

2 hours ago, thepla said:

Think of the joy of the adults at this kid’s table having a most inquisitive mind amongst them. I know the conversation would reach far beyond “How ‘bout them ‘Niners’?” (though I am a fan of that hometown team).

3 hours ago, thepla said:

That is very impressive!  My thought about sitting at this table with you and your teen, is the entire conversation going to revolve around the teen?  Not saying you are like this, just have experienced some parents control every conversation about how wonderful their kid is.  

19 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

That is very impressive!  My thought about sitting at this table with you and your teen, is the entire conversation going to revolve around the teen?  Not saying you are like this, just have experienced some parents control every conversation about how wonderful their kid is.  

Don’t worry - the kid sounds smart enough to know when to redirect the conversation (hopefully!)

• Like 1

Seating is always the luck of the draw. One consideration, you must reflect on, is that some table mates make me look like a Teatotaller. Their indulgence can sometimes appear excessive, plus they may be well snockered by the time they get to the table. 

As the parent, you are deciding the atmosphere in which you are placing your child. You can’t insist that tablemates don’t, or stop , drinking at the table unless their actions become vulgar or crude. 

Luck of the draw!

• Like 1

Different reservation question. We’re in a PH on a July cruise. Could make specialty reservations a few weeks ago. Problem is we’re traveling with 2 other couples. Unable to make reservations online. Both O and TA said there are no tables for 6 on any evening. I know we’ve eaten at table for 6 in past so no idea what’s happening. To complicate things further we now have a single friend joining us on cruise so we’re 7. I’m thinking wait til we’re on board and ask butler for help. Advice please!

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Seating is always the luck of the draw. One consideration, you must reflect on, is that some table mates make me look like a Teatotaller. Their indulgence can sometimes appear excessive, plus they may be well snockered by the time they get to the table. 

As the parent, you are deciding the atmosphere in which you are placing your child. You can’t insist that tablemates don’t, or stop , drinking at the table unless their actions become vulgar or crude. 

Luck of the draw!

Agrred.

Sharing a table can be good fun but it can also go horribly wrong and yes alcohol is often involved when it does.

8 minutes ago, Riverroad said:

Different reservation question. We’re in a PH on a July cruise. Could make specialty reservations a few weeks ago. Problem is we’re traveling with 2 other couples. Unable to make reservations online. Both O and TA said there are no tables for 6 on any evening. I know we’ve eaten at table for 6 in past so no idea what’s happening. To complicate things further we now have a single friend joining us on cruise so we’re 7. I’m thinking wait til we’re on board and ask butler for help. Advice please!

I wonder if  sharing is a covid issue still?

Did you add the others  booking numbers to your reservations ?

I would  go to the dinner reservations desk when you board   if that fails  see what your butler can do for you

32 minutes ago, Riverroad said:

Yes I added everyone’s booking  numbers. Was told it was not a Covid thing. Thanks for your advice.

Maybe just  that tables are booked up ??

I would try once onboard 

Enjoy

I do hope you get a table sorted and I’m sure you will , it’s sad that you feel you have to hide away , as far as I’m concerned 14 year olds are young adults , I’ve shared tables with much older people and believe you me not all of them are good company , my husband and I felt so uncomfortable one time that we left the table before we’d even ordered our food . Enjoy your holiday

4 hours ago, Rosroz said:

I do hope you get a table sorted and I’m sure you will , it’s sad that you feel you have to hide away , as far as I’m concerned 14 year olds are young adults , I’ve shared tables with much older people and believe you me not all of them are good company , my husband and I felt so uncomfortable one time that we left the table before we’d even ordered our food . Enjoy your holiday

Thanks.

There is a side of me that says share. We've had some great dinners in other cruise lines, never really a bad one. We've been on three since restart. Most times we all engage like nothing wrong with a 13 year old at time. Most seen to happy to include my son.

I brought it up here because I've read many Oceania posts that feel Oceania is for adults and want to avoid minors. I don't want other people to feel like we are a burden.

1 hour ago, thepla said:

Thanks.

There is a side of me that says share. We've had some great dinners in other cruise lines, never really a bad one. We've been on three since restart. Most times we all engage like nothing wrong with a 13 year old at time. Most seen to happy to include my son.

I brought it up here because I've read many Oceania posts that feel Oceania is for adults and want to avoid minors. I don't want other people to feel like we are a burden.

Though I may be overgeneralizing, I trust that most O regulars would welcome school age kids who are thinking ahead about their adult future.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, LHT28 said:

Depends on your fellow shipmates

We usually do not have a problem  getting a 2 top for 6:30pm pre covid

I would consider yourself very lucky. Unless we’ve splurged for a concierge verandah, when the reservations have opened at 45 days out (at exactly midnight I might add) I’ve never managed to secure anything earlier than 8:30. Once onboard we have occasionally been able to secure something a little earlier but not always. Like everything else there are many variables in play, especially the length of the cruise, but in the end some are lucky, some aren’t. 

• Like 2