Princess Alaska Cruise Sapphire or Majestic?

Grambler

6 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

I booked the Sapphire for our next (#4) Alaska cruise/tour in May 2023 over the Majestic which is a beautiful ship but seriously lacking in public decks to view Alaska.

And to share those limited public decks to view Alaska are the almost 900 more passengers that the Majestic can have than the Sapphire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Another factor making me choose the Sapphire is her age-built in Japan in 2004, so she won't be around for nearly as long as the Majestic.

I hope she is around for awhile! She is a solid ship - I will take the Japanese built ships over Italian built ships any day!

I did the Majestic twice to Mexico, and what makes it better than all other ships is the Hollywood Conservatory, which wraps around the front and is connected to the Hollywood Pool area, which also has windows all around, and both areas are covered. That makes it ideal for Alaska glacier watching, whereas other Princess ships have limited upper-deck covered viewing areas. What's more important is itinerary, though--doing the Inside Passage out of Vancouver is memorable, and while Glacier Bay is interesting, most of the glaciers are declining or gone altogether. If at all possible, I'd try to see the Hubbard Glacier, which is the only one actually growing and which has really booming, impressive calving. The only advantage of the Sapphire I see is that it supposedly has a nice wide outside promenade deck, good if you want to get close up for whale and other wildlife watching. The Majestic has some outdoor viewing areas aft and mid-ship on deck 8, with chairs and loungers, which were quite wonderful for whale and dolphin watching in Mexico, but you can't walk all the way around the ship, as you can on Sapphire. The other reservation about Sapphire is that the older ships might still have coffee syrup, which is an abomination, whereas the Majestic has real coffee. I also love their noodle bar, which I think would be an ideal food on a cold Alaska day. 

The Sapphire was my favorite ship for years before they moved her away from the US. As for reviews, no one has traveled on the Sapphire for a couple of years. It’s difficult to guess on condition at this point, but the crew will be completely different so old reviews really don’t apply. Personally, I would pick the Sapphire just because I loved the ship before and I prefer a smaller ship to Alaska. I like the Royal class ships, but not for Alaska. I’ve been on Princess, HAL and NCL to Alaska. Others mentioned the NCL Bliss which I enjoyed, but the Bliss didn’t go to Glacier Bay when I was on it. I liked the observation lounge, but outdoor viewing wasn’t that good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rj59 said:

. The only advantage of the Sapphire I see is that it supposedly has a nice wide outside promenade deck, good if you want to get close up for whale and other wildlife watching. 

Here are some pics from my 2012 Alaska cruise on the Diamond and reasons why I lean towards the Sapphire for Alaska .

Promenade deck

512449475_DiamondProm.thumb.jpg.3d64ca81b532eba86f1cf6df04277c34.jpg

Tiered aft decks

215714154_Diamondaftdecks.thumb.jpg.9447444fd6472cbe8a2407d3858681bd.jpg

Indoor pool

1085050483_DiamondPool.thumb.jpg.9575b7acc65b3fa3957e6ada5d2291be.jpg

I also have a pic of maybe 80 people in Glacier Bay standing on the roof of the bridge getting uninterrupted views (no plexiglass) of the glaciers.

Norris

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, turquoisestarchild said:

I am also deciding between Majestic and Sapphire for summer in Alaska.  The balcony prices are much less on Majestic.  So, would you choose Majestic with balcony OR Sapphire with no balcony?

I'll be sailing Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver.

Thanks in advance!

-Kristen

I'd choose Majestic with balcony.

There has been a lot of talk here about public viewing areas, and to be honest, if my goal is to sit and watch land pass by when in the inside passage, or on glacier viewing day, I'd rather do that in my own space than have to be in public sharing space with everyone on board.  I'd be booking a balcony on either ship no matter what, so the argument that the Sapphire is better because it has a wrap around promenade or more open deck space isn't that moving when my cabin has its own deck space just for me.

As for the overall design of the Royal class ships, loosing the wrap around promenade was a huge loss.  The way ship design is going, I'm not sure we'll see a return to promenade decks any time soon.  I took a quick look at the deck plans for the new Sun Princess and there appears to be a very modest promenade on deck 8, but doesn't look like it affords the same space as what we are used to on Grand class ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

There has been a lot of talk here about public viewing areas, and to be honest, if my goal is to sit and watch land pass by when in the inside passage,

In that case you should be aware that while Majestic may bill the cruise as an "Inside Passage" cruise that ship can't actually do the "real" inside passage. Sapphire should be able to do it just fine.

1 hour ago, turquoisestarchild said:

That was one of my original concerns with Majestic.  However, from what I have read, people have reported being close to the glaciers.  

How would you expect Majestic to be different in terms of the Inside Passage?

The larger ships such as Majestic aren't cleared to make the "sharp" turn at the Northern end of the actual Inside Passage. They cruise partly where you would expect but then have to go to the outside edge - at least on the North Bound portion. Looking at a picture of a Majestic Princess round trip Alaska out of Vancouver it looks like they are able to actually do the Inside Passage on a South Bound portion but that will likely be at night when the viewing is non existent.

Map shows port stops for Inside Passage (Roundtrip Vancouver). For more details, refer to the List of Port Stops table on this page.

I'm too lazy to check the info for Sapphire. They may well traverse the same route as Majestic.

Edited by Thrak

4 hours ago, turquoisestarchild said:

That was one of my original concerns with Majestic.  However, from what I have read, people have reported being close to the glaciers.  

How would you expect Majestic to be different in terms of the Inside Passage?

Looking at the Inside Passage (which is over 600 miles long) – there is a difference in the route these big cruise ships take.  For me, the “Inside Passage” going south from the southern tip of Alaska uses the Grenville Channel.  The Grenville Channel is possibly the most dramatic part of the Inside Passage.  Large cruise ships (Royal Class) do not take this route. The channel narrows to about quarter-mile at mile 518.  Just beautiful!!  The Northern Canyons is especially dramatic 100 mile stretch of the Inside Passage which begins at Boat Bluff Lighthouse.  The almost 90-degree turn is too sharp for large cruise ships like the Majestic so they use a modify route.  Once you approach the Queen Charlotte Sound large ships (Majestic, Discovery, Royal) traverse west of Vancouver Island and smaller ships (Emerald, Grand, Sapphire) enter the Queen Charlotte Strait then the Johnstone Strait with very beautiful scenery as you head toward Seattle or Vancouver.  Farther south at Seymour Narrows – all ship traffic along the Inside Passage must pass through this narrow gorge.  There are swift tidal currents in this area.  Again, very beautiful!  From here you enter Gerogia Strait which has more open water to navigate.  Vancouver Island will be on the starboard side.  John

If I remember correctly, the problem with these very large Princess ships (Royal Class) is their rudder/propeller configuration – especially at slow speed.   So what might set the Royal Princess ships apart from other megaships?  They use standard propulsion: propellers and rudders.  Azipod propulsion (used by Norwegian, Royal Caribbean) performs better at low speeds when big ships need to maneuver in tight spots.  The Azipods can rotate 360 degrees to give you thrust in any direction.

Plus, the fact that Princess Royal class ships (Majestic, Discovery, Regal, Royal, Sky) have somewhere around 3.1 acres of sail area (the amount of surface exposed to a wind blowing on the side of the vessel), and Southeast Alaska Pilots Association were concerned about getting cruise ships through narrow parts of the Inside Passage. Also, British Columbia, Canada -- made the decision that they would not be allowed (Princess Royal class ships) to transit Seymour Narrows, which meant that ships had to sail west of Vancouver Island.  It should be noted that Princess is in talks with BC to change this decision.   

Edited by John99
  • Like 2

@turquoisestarchild     Thanks for the question.  It’s good to hear from you again. 

Your question is hard to answer -- Do you think this stretch of the Inside Passage on a smaller ship would be "worth" giving up a balcony for since it may be cost prohibitive for us?

I really do not know your personal financial situation. So, it’s hard to say.  Alaska can definitely be a little on the expensive side, but the experience is worth the cost.

No matter what you choose you’re guaranteed to see amazing wildlife in their natural habitats. You’ll have memories and stories to share for years to come.

Traversing the Inside Passage takes many hours – usually during day light.  For us, When we cruise Alaska, we always prefer a balcony which does cost little more than an inside stateroom but well worth it in my humble opinion.   This summer DW wants a Deluxe Balcony.  Ok with me!  For us, seating on our balcony is relaxing.  In the past, we always observed marine life in the waters -- never been disappointed.   Gray whales, orcas, etc.  In fact, the captain will come on the PA to point our marine life. 

There’s a book I would recommend on Alaska is titled:

The Alaska Cruise Companion - Complete Book and a detailed Map

(A mile by mile guide with “cruise routes” and “mile marker” numbers)

Author – Joe Upton

2008 Edition – 287 pages

I purchased the book in the sundry shop “on board” during one of our early Alaska cruises.  The new addition is available on Amazon if Cruise Critic members are interested at a vey nominal price.

The author has spent over 20+ years exploring Alaska and the Northwest coast, catching fish, making maps, taking photos, and collecting his award-winning stories.  The book “The Alaska Cruise Companion” was originally published in 1997 for Princess Cruises (only) and then later came The Alaska Cruise Handbook, available in bookstores and aboard most Alaska cruise ships.  I believe these are very similar books.  Just the title changed.  The “Companion” book covers routes, Alaska cruise ports, walks around the ports, shore excursions, and much more. But the enduring quality of Joe’s book is (in addition to being a fully informational Alaska cruise guide) that it’s filled with Upton’s wonderful Alaska stories.  

The “Alaska Cruise Companion” is an excellent book in my humble opinion.  I must admit I did blow past some sections that were not on our last trip!  But it’s a very good read since it reminded me of things I needed to follow-up on for future Alaskan trips.  Love, love the maps!  Very detailed.

When we stated to plan our last cruise/tour I remembered that I had the book and dug it out for research and/or references.  It's fascinating!  Full of tidbits of information, beautiful pictures of wildlife and scenery coupled with lots of history of the cities and locations the cruise visits.  I sure wish I had the book for our 1st Alaskan cruise many years ago.

John

• Like 1

@turquoisestarchild  

Kristen, when are you planning on sailing – in 2023 or 2024 calendar year?

Looks like you already made a decision on the Sapphire as your choice.  That would be my choice as well.  Below I provided general info on the ships sailing in Alaskan waters.

Princess Cruise Ships scheduled to cruise in Alaska 2023 & 2024

Grand (Grand Class) – refurbished 3/2019

Guests – 2600

Length – 949 ft

Tonnage – 107,707

Sapphire (Grand Class) – refurbished 3/2018

Guests – 2670

Length – 952 ft

Tonnage – 115,875

Majestic (Royal Class) – built 2017

Guests – 3560

Length – 1082 ft