Excursion beyond the gates

vickintx

• vickintx changed the title to Excursion beyond the gates
1 hour ago, vickintx said:

Has anyone gone past the outside gates to book any excursions ? 
wondering if it’s safe to book a quick snorkel excursion. 

In Cozumel? Are you sure you have the right port? Which pier?

Good snorkeling from the shore at the Money Bar - no need for an excursion.  No admission fee, but it is polite to buy some drinks food. Taxi from the piers should be about $12 each way.

• Like 1

Beyond the gates at any of the 3 piers is where you meet up with pre-booked non-ship sponsored excursions.  But unlike some other Caribbean ports, there aren't hawkers outside the gates pushing excursions.

However, you can hire a taxi for various things, including heading over tot eh east side or doing an island tour.  Prices are posted at the taxi stands.

14 hours ago, vickintx said:

Has anyone gone past the outside gates to book any excursions ? 
wondering if it’s safe to book a quick snorkel excursion. 

If you are really meaning Cozumel (because I saw you asking earlier about Costa Maya) what type of excursion are you looking for? 

Do you actually want a tour to somewhere, or are you asking if you can get a taxi to a beach or something? What type of activity are you actually looking for? Do you just want to go somewhere to snorkel from shore (no beach) or a boat snorkel? Again, which pier are you docking at - it can make a difference to budget.

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:17 PM, c-leg5 said:

If you are really meaning Cozumel (because I saw you asking earlier about Costa Maya) what type of excursion are you looking for? 

Do you actually want a tour to somewhere, or are you asking if you can get a taxi to a beach or something? What type of activity are you actually looking for? Do you just want to go somewhere to snorkel from shore (no beach) or a boat snorkel? Again, which pier are you docking at - it can make a difference to budget.

@c-leg5 I'm actually looking in Cozumel, what shore excursion companies do you recommend? We are with NCL, I'm assuming at the International Port?

13 minutes ago, bebe81 said:

@c-leg5 I'm actually looking in Cozumel, what shore excursion companies do you recommend? We are with NCL, I'm assuming at the International Port?

NCL is always the difficult one! They generally dock in town at Punta Langosta but they can dock at International or they can tender into International, or town, if the ship load is really high.

Let us know what type of activities you are interested in or take look at options in my reply here (which is another thread in the wrong forum) for more specific recommendations 

Be careful about this.  Just asking a taxi driver to take you to some good snorkeling, etc, is likely to have to show up at some beach club run by a friend and may not have what you are looking for at all.  You need to have a name of a beach club or place in your mind and tell that to the taxi driver.  And ask the price.  Don't let them "take you somewhere special" as it may be, like I said, just a friends beach club and they are trying to drum up business for them.  Not unsafe, it just may not be what you are looking for.  We have found most of the residents in Cozumel are good people who want to show off their lovely island, but some may have a financial reason to drop you off somewhere.  Many of these beach clubs will pay the taxi drivers to drum up business.