Cape Liberty parking garage and outside lot ever full?

turtle1947

Cruising Oasis 7/8 .  With Summit departing 7/3 on a 7 night and Adventure departing 7/7 on a 9 night I'm expecting the garage will be full. I know they guarantee parking but was wondering if anyone has every experienced both garage and lot full? What then?

18 hours ago, turtle1947 said:

Cruising Oasis 7/8 .  With Summit departing 7/3 on a 7 night and Adventure departing 7/7 on a 9 night I'm expecting the garage will be full. I know they guarantee parking but was wondering if anyone has every experienced both garage and lot full? What then?

The Oasis was the "first in" of the three ships, so most likely, you'll have a spot in the deck.  Before the deck was built, acres of lots handled the cars.  They use one of these lots as the overflow when two or three ships are using CL.  There's plenty of room outside of the deck for parking.

Leaving Thursday on Adventure. 

Last year (Oasis in Oct, Anthem in Nov) was the first time we ever drove to the port, so getting in the garage was really easy both times.  Now I realize we were spoiled... lol.

Since Oasis left Sunday, and Celebrity Summit (?) left on Monday, thinking that no matter how early we get there on Thursday, we won't be able to park in the garage. 

Was hoping to.  Ah well... outdoor lot it is.

On 5/24/2022 at 4:13 PM, Nabalab said:

Leaving Thursday on Adventure. 

Last year (Oasis in Oct, Anthem in Nov) was the first time we ever drove to the port, so getting in the garage was really easy both times.  Now I realize we were spoiled... lol.

Since Oasis left Sunday, and Celebrity Summit (?) left on Monday, thinking that no matter how early we get there on Thursday, we won't be able to park in the garage. 

Was hoping to.  Ah well... outdoor lot it is.

We have cruised out of Bayonne many times and never had a problem with parking.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have cruised out of Bayonne many times and never had a problem with parking.

I didn’t think I’d have a problem with parking at all… just preferred to be in the garage, rather than an overflow lot.

Anyways, this is what happened last Thursday…

We got to Cape Liberty very early. Was told to come back because the garage opened at 9:30am.  When we came back at that time, was told right off the bat that the garage was for handicapped only… and they directed us to an overflow lot.  

I tried to park in the lot across from the garage, but was denied since that lot is for “The Sunday ship” (Oasis).

So we went to the overflow lot and was told to pay $125 up front. Adventure sailing was a 5-night.  I told them we were doing a B2B so it should be more - yes, we’re honest.  They told us we should be parking in the garage then.  Told the woman we just came from there.  She made a call and told us to go back to the garage.  

So we did… and they let us park there.

Now at Cape Liberty since it’s Day 1 of our 2nd sailing.  Read that they are automatically directing people to the overflow lot.

2 hours ago, Nabalab said:

I didn’t think I’d have a problem with parking at all… just preferred to be in the garage, rather than an overflow lot.

We got to Cape Liberty very early. Was told to come back because the garage opened at 9:30am.  When we came back at that time, was told right off the bat that the garage was for handicapped only… and they directed us to an overflow lot.  

I tried to park in the lot across from the garage, but was denied since that lot is for “The Sunday ship” (Oasis).

So we went to the overflow lot and was told to pay $125 up front. Adventure sailing was a 5-night.  I told them we were doing a B2B so it should be more - yes, we’re honest.  They told us we should be parking in the garage then.  Told the woman we just came from there.  She made a call and told us to go back to the garage.  

Now at Cape Liberty since it’s Day 1 of our 2nd sailing.  Read that they are automatically directing people to the overflow lot.

Just out of curiosity if your screen name is a variation of your last name by any chance are you related to Stacy who grew up in Brooklyn or Sig who grew up in the Bronx ?

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Just out of curiosity if your screen name is a variation of your last name by any chance are you related to Stacy who grew up in Brooklyn or Sig who grew up in the Bronx ?

Sorry, no relation.

On 5/31/2022 at 2:17 PM, Nabalab said:

Do you drop off your baggage first and then park?  Or do you park and bring your luggage with you?  Just curious.  Leaving out of Cape Liberty for the first time on Sunday.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, arste said:

Do you drop off your baggage first and then park?  Or do you park and bring your luggage with you?  Just curious.  Leaving out of Cape Liberty for the first time on Sunday.

Thanks

We dropped off our baggage with the porters first, then we parked.

Have fun on Oasis 🙂

14 minutes ago, arste said:

Thanks

As you approach the terminal there will be two lanes. You will be directed to the luggage drop zone but it is not required that you stop there. My recommendation is to stop, drop the luggage and others traveling with you.

The parking garage is adjacent to the terminal and a short walk, maybe 200-300 yards. If you park in the garage, bring the parking ticket with you as you will validate it on disembarkation, prior to getting your vehicle. There will be a line on disembarkation to use the 1 working elevator in the garage.

I returned from a cruise on Tuesday. I was directed to park in the garage, others were directed to surface lots. I was aware of the parking lot close to the garage and terminal. What I was surprised to see was cars parked far (in my estimation) from the terminal. 3 ships presently sail from Bayonne, there are not enough parking spaces in the garage, there are enough with the surface lots. If you are directed to park in a distant surface lot, you will be glad you dropped your luggage. If you do park in one of these lots, it might be best on disembarking for one to get the car and drive back to the terminal where your group is waiting with the luggage.

• Like 1

So we are going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty to Iceland then flying back a week later.  Is the parking open 24/7 because we will be taking an uber/taxi from Newark airport back to the cruise terminal to pick up our car?  Or perhaps parking at the airport might be easier and taking an uber to cruise terminal to board.

33 minutes ago, JHCruiser123 said:

So we are going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty to Iceland then flying back a week later.  Is the parking open 24/7 because we will be taking an uber/taxi from Newark airport back to the cruise terminal to pick up our car?  Or perhaps parking at the airport might be easier and taking an uber to cruise terminal to board.

Park at an airport area lot. 

On 6/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, meadowlander said:

The parking garage is adjacent to the terminal and a short walk, maybe 200-300 yards. If you park in the garage, bring the parking ticket with you as you will validate it on disembarkation, prior to getting your vehicle. There will be a line on disembarkation to use the 1 working elevator in the garage.

So that is what the ridiculously long line is for at the garage.... the elevator and not the validating machine?  I remember in October last year getting off the Oasis and being glad we took a cab to the train station because the line to get your car was insane.  Sounds like if you send one person to get the car with no luggage and who doesn't mind a couple flights of stairs, there is no wait?

4 hours ago, vjmatty said:

So that is what the ridiculously long line is for at the garage.... the elevator and not the validating machine?  I remember in October last year getting off the Oasis and being glad we took a cab to the train station because the line to get your car was insane.  Sounds like if you send one person to get the car with no luggage and who doesn't mind a couple flights of stairs, there is no wait?

I was at CL in October too and you are correct, the "ridiculously" long line was for those waiting to use the 1 working elevator in the garage. A brave few did use the stairs.

That day there were also numerous smaller lines for the parking validating/pay machine which one must first visit before getting your vehicle.

It was so disorganized in October on disembarking that I had planned to be in the last group off Adventure 8 days ago, so as to avoid any and all lines. There was a change in plans as Adventure was the first ship since restart that did not have cruisers wait in their cabins. We were assigned to wait in various locations on the ship as was the procedure pre covid.

Leaving the ship at 8:15 am, there was no line to pay for parking & the elevator wait was less than 10 minutes. Made up for the 2 hour 20 minute boarding time on embarkation day when computers went down and the ship's departure was extended to near 6 pm instead of its 3:30 scheduled time.

15 hours ago, meadowlander said:

I was at CL in October too and you are correct, the "ridiculously" long line was for those waiting to use the 1 working elevator in the garage. A brave few did use the stairs.

That day there were also numerous smaller lines for the parking validating/pay machine which one must first visit before getting your vehicle.

It was so disorganized in October on disembarking that I had planned to be in the last group off Adventure 8 days ago, so as to avoid any and all lines. There was a change in plans as Adventure was the first ship since restart that did not have cruisers wait in their cabins. We were assigned to wait in various locations on the ship as was the procedure pre covid.

Leaving the ship at 8:15 am, there was no line to pay for parking & the elevator wait was less than 10 minutes. Made up for the 2 hour 20 minute boarding time on embarkation day when computers went down and the ship's departure was extended to near 6 pm instead of its 3:30 scheduled time.

That is what happened to us on Oasis, 10/24 to 10/31 sailing.  Sailaway was delayed for several hours and disembarking was a nightmare.  We had the rare opportunity to be in a suite and had no idea that half the elevators don't make it to the 17th floor.  People started riding them up to go down, so even if they made it to 17 they'd have more than six people....and they were just coming back from the WJ, not even disembarking with luggage.  Finally we gave up and took the stairs with our carryons.