Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, considering that they mention several times in the article that the Freedom will be heading "to a drydock", I wouldn't hold out too much accuracy.  There is absolutely no reason for the ship to drydock for any repairs from this.  They will likely go alongside the wet berth for crane service to lift things up to the funnel.

@Chengpk you may be reading just a bit too much into the use of drydock vs wetdock,  I get the jist of what the author is saying....

....You just can't go in and pick up another smokestack (whale tail, funnel) from the shipyard,  the burned out sections need to be scrapped and the surfaces that are contaminated need to be scrubbed and re-painted and the section needs to be re-fabricated.     

In this environment with labor and resource shortages it will take months and it will be out of commission for some time.   That is going to be a big problem for the cruising pipeline and that is the big issue here.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
21 minutes ago, djcass4199 said:

I’ve seen comments about why not move Freedom guests to Mardi Gras. We assume that MG is sailing full, so they can’t move folks from Freedom to MG. You can’t sail a cruise with more passengers than available life boat spaces. Can you imagine how bad that would look if they moved everyone from Freedom to MG, a catastrophic abandon ship event happen on MG, and then you can’t get everyone off because there isn’t enough room in the lifeboats?

They have already moved some of the older folks over.

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, JRG said:

@Chengpk you may be reading just a bit too much into the use of drydock vs wetdock,  I get the jist of what the author is saying....

....You just can't go in and pick up another smokestack (whale tail, funnel) from the shipyard,  the burned out sections need to be scrapped and the surfaces that are contaminated need to be scrubbed and re-painted and the section needs to be re-fabricated.     

In this environment with labor and resource shortages it will take months and it will be out of commission for some time.   That is going to be a big problem for the cruising pipeline and that is the big issue here.

And also you have the toxic fumes and smells to deal with as well. Not to many happy campers on that ship right about now.

3 minutes ago, JRG said:

Wait, can't Carnival just roll on down to the pick-n-pull and snag a whale-tail and grab some duct tape from Harbor Freight to git-her-done? 😁

All this speculation hinges on cosmetic damages being the crux of the problem, that may very well not be the case at all when they really get in there and take a good look. You raise a good point though, even if it is mostly cosmetic, it may still take a while to return to service.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RED318is said:

It seems strange to me that they are sending Conquest to pick up the passengers instead of Liberty. Conquest is losing 4 days of sailing while Liberty could just lose 3. I suspect that the Conquest sailing that is cancelled and the one that is shortened had a much lower occupancy that tomorrow's Liberty sailing. Liberty is a few cabins smaller, but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue as I expect a few people on Freedom will fly back from Grand Turk.

Liberty would get to Grand Turk later than Conquest because it is starting from further north (and slightly further west), which means at best the Freedom passengers get back 8-12 hours later, which would now be Monday evening instead of Monday morning. At best you are delaying the embarkation of Liberty to late Monday night if not Tuesday - which basically puts Carnival in the same position that it will be by canceling Conquest.

Carnival also probably has an idea of how many locals are booked on each cruise, which allows them to mitigate the cost of compensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

The LUGGAGE TRANSFER from Freedom to Conquest is going to be very interesting.

😯

Now there's a thought. No forklift or baggage carts at the pier. Maybe have to move luggage cart by cart.  Not to mention even a larger strain on the poor crew. 

17 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

The LUGGAGE TRANSFER from Freedom to Conquest is going to be very interesting.

😯

WOW!! You just hit a VERY large nail directly on the head!

And after the transfer??

Cabin assignments or luggage in holding?

Oh my!

🌴

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, RED318is said:

It seems strange to me that they are sending Conquest to pick up the passengers instead of Liberty. Conquest is losing 4 days of sailing while Liberty could just lose 3. I suspect that the Conquest sailing that is cancelled and the one that is shortened had a much lower occupancy that tomorrow's Liberty sailing. Liberty is a few cabins smaller, but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue as I expect a few people on Freedom will fly back from Grand Turk.

Conquest is definitely one that they have to discount to fill, so likely had lower bookings compared to the rest of the fleet.  Even the Sailabration on Conquest was only ~50% full.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

And after the transfer??

Oh my!

🌴

i was driving somewhere thinking of the nightmare of cabin assignments alone. Never even considered the rest. 

• Like 1

This is unfortunate/sad for the current passengers, and all others,  affected. Freedom was originally scheduled to sail to Alaska for the season.  I think it would have been more challenging to send a "rescue" ship to Alaska, as there is more availability to send one from Florida to the Turks....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

And after the transfer??

Oh my!

Yes!! Excellent question PortSideCruzan!!!!

I was only thinking about luggage transfer when I posted. I completely forgot about (where will the luggage go) once transferred.

🤯 🤯 🤯 🤯 🤯

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I would assume they keep everyone on Freedom while they transfer luggage and figure out room assignments it’s the same class of ship so I would assume just put everyone in the same cabin numbers and call it a day. 

That's it! Yes!

🙂

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Do they let people self-transfer by deck first, then those who need luggage assistance come after that?

I'd imagine this is how it will work but this is somewhat uncharted territory. The good thing is since they're the same class of ship it will be easy to figure out what your new room will be in most if not all cases.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Since this is all on Carnival, no insurance or passport really needed. The responsibility falls on Carnival.

Unless Carnival is able to get an exception to Federal laws including waiving COVID testing plus paying fines and arrange that sooner than sending the Conquest.  

There would not be that large a distance from Freedom to Conquest.  They will be right across the pier from each other.  Line up the gangways.  Move people deck by deck, new key cards in cabin slot.  Those who would do self debark can do self transfer.  I believe they have the luggage bins onboard?  And a fork lift or two…or could they borrow on from somewhere on the island, such as the airport?  Cabins would be ready immediately.  Just a matter of logistics.  And double crew.  EM

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Do they let people self-transfer by deck first, then those who need luggage assistance come after that?

I was on another cruise line, where we had to leave the ship in a specific manner, unrelated to any emergency (Customs issue) and we went by deck, starting with the highest deck, and it took forever.

I can't imagine how long the process will take for the pax to get to the other ship.  I'm thinking it's going to be a long day and hopefully, Carnival will send extra crew to help in the process. 

1 minute ago, lyannea said:

I was on another cruise line, where we had to leave the ship in a specific manner, unrelated to any emergency (Customs issue) and we went by deck, starting with the highest deck, and it took forever.

I can't imagine how long the process will take for the pax to get to the other ship.  I'm thinking it's going to be a long day and hopefully, Carnival will send extra crew to help in the process. 

Conquest is fully crewed.  So you have two crews for one ship

• Like 1

This came up in a Facebook group and maybe someone here has the answer. 

in the photos posted of the burning funnel on the ship it appears that the fin on it melted, showing dripping molten metal. It’s thought that the funnel is made of 1/2 inch steel plates, possibly thicker, and someone says that it’s not even metal, but instead it’s made of a fiberglass. 
My thought is that fiberglass will melt and burn up at 1700+ degrees. 

Metal melts and runs and drips. 

so… what’re the funnel and fins made of??