guarantee balcony issue

I like many people had multiple cruises cancelled the past couple of years. I booked a cruise with a royal agent on the phone last April for Allure out of Barcelona, then in Sept it was changed to Wonder of the Seas, yah! Then last month I got an email from Royal up saying I had a guarantee neighborhood balcony.... I did the royal up to try to get an ocean view bc I DO NOT want neighborhood view. At no time did the agent on the phone say I even had the option of neighborhood, NONE of my emails say that they all just say guarantee balcony % obstructed. The royal agents today were NO help, they say I can upgrade for $1500 when I could have changed it a year ago when the prices were the same IF I HAD KNOWN. 

If you look at the royal website and try to book, it says that you will get the BEST available room in that category at time of sailing but after talking to the royal agents today they said no, because you chose xn category (which I didn't choose bc I would rather have an ocean view than balcony to the inside) that there was NO way we would get an ocean view balcony unless it is accepted via royal up or pay $1500. Lesson learned choose room ALWAYS, and I usually do, I had never had a balcony we decided pay a little more and get one since all the prices were so cheap last April...

Any advice to fix it? 

There is a different gty code for gty ocean view and gty any balcony on oasis class. Obviously you booked the cheaper neighborhood balcony gty.

They arent going back in time. I would guess take a chance on royal up if you dont want to pay to pick your cabin. You seem to care more than I would but I cant sit in the sun. I had a ocean view bslcony on oasis and it was too sunny to sit out. But I get it. 

I dont see any other choice but what you mentioned. My TA would have mentioned it to me what I booked and my chances of what balcony with which gty i booked. Being mad now at your booking agent probably is wasted energy. 

• Like 3

You had to book an OV balcony guarantee to get an OV.   The neighborhood gty gets you central park or boardwalk balcony.   

Depending on location of the balcony you may be able to see some ocean as well as the Aqua shows and any movies.   

Guarantee is never the BEST in the category. Everyone would choose that if it's the case! You're only guaranteed the MINIMUM of the category. And in your case neighborhood balconies are in fact balconies. 

When it comes to Oasis class technically three balcony guarantees exist - balcony gty (includes all balconies with the neighborhood ones as min), neighborhood gty (get at least a neighborhood balcony), and Oceanview balcony gty (at min you will get an ocean view balcony).

Lately (for months if not since last year) you can only find the balcony gty if you book on Royals website (and possibly by phone too). Whereas travel agents still can see the other two gty.

As with any guarantee rate, you should be very sure what it means when you book.

We were just on the Wonder in April and booked a Central Park balcony because we wanted to try it. It turned out to be great. Very quite in the room...a little noisier with the door open but mainly people sounds and music in the late afternoon/early evening. Very nice sitting on the balcony in the evening with all the lights and music playing.

Give it a try...you may surprise yourself.

• Like 3

It never hurts to try again. Call back RC and insist on talking to a supervisor. You will have a long wait. Tell them that you would have never chosen this type of guarantee if you understood it. They can only change it through your travel agent so you will have to speak to the agent also. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:07 PM, Flintchem said:

I like many people had multiple cruises cancelled the past couple of years. I booked a cruise with a royal agent on the phone last April for Allure out of Barcelona, then in Sept it was changed to Wonder of the Seas, yah! Then last month I got an email from Royal up saying I had a guarantee neighborhood balcony.... 

Any advice to fix it? 

Would you happen to have a cruise confirmation email from when you were initially  booked on Allure?   It could be  that when they moved you to Wonder they keyed in the wrong guarantee code when they transferred your reservation.  

I would check your initial cruise confirmation email to see what guarantee code (or guarantee description) they listed. 

Good luck!!

Edited by ocean sounds
Clarify
  • Like 1

I agree it’s misleading. When you book an oasis class room and go to balcony there are typically two options - Royal picks your room or you pick. Under you pick is where you see Central Park, boardwalk or ocean. Since that’s what you see in you pick, of course you’d assume those are the options you’d get if you let them pick. While you could get a neighborhood balcony - I think it’s misleading that you can’t get an ocean balcony. 

Sorry to hear this happened. I think the neighborhood balconies are nice, I hope you make the best out of it.

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I have only used a gty once when there was nothing else left and I booked very late. I really do not think Royal will do anything for you since you booked with a TA. I do think your paper trail will be your best hope for change. I save every bit of paper about each cruise from booking until post cruise. IF there are any issues you have that paper trail to back you up. It has saved me many times over the years. I do hope you get the resolution you desire BUT if you don't keep your mind open and try to enjoy what you do have. Consider this a learning experience and make sure you always have the cabin you would be happy with, make sure the TA, or Royal rep, has explained exactly what the gty will give you, if you book one again. I personally like the Boardwalk balconies. 

• Like 1