Guarantee Cabins

ssbeagle

We have a guarantee cabin category on a cruise in December, so no cabin assignment yet.  I know that you can get assigned as late as embarkation day.  Can anyone tell me how that works, please?  If they can't give you a cabin in the category you booked, do they upgrade you?

5 minutes ago, ssbeagle said:

We have a guarantee cabin category on a cruise in December, so no cabin assignment yet.  I know that you can get assigned as late as embarkation day.  Can anyone tell me how that works, please?  If they can't give you a cabin in the category you booked, do they upgrade you?

You may get a higher category of cabin but it might not fit what you think is an upgrade

They will give you at least the cabin category that you booked and possibly something better if your category is all sold out.  Usually, it’s only an inside to inside or a balcony to balcony, though … not an inside to a balcony.  But, there’s always a first time for everything.  
We like to hand pick our stateroom to ensure it’s not in a noisy area or in an undesirable location.  Those are the cabins that are usually leftover for guarantee assignments.  

• Like 3

We booked a "guarantee balcony" for our first (and last) Princess cruise 3/12 (Sky TA).  We received the obstructed view balcony....Which was no upgrade and was the bottom level for the category we booked. 

Cabin was fine.

We received the cabin assignment about 2 weeks prior to departure.  The ship was not full (I think I recall 70%) but no upgrade for us.

(Not complaining...I rolled the dice we got exactly what I paid for....the secret to a guarantee is to be happy with the lowest cabin in the category)

• Like 1

I booked and paid for a “guaranteed” regular balcony in aft section 5 weeks before the cruise on the Discovery. Two weeks later I was assigned a deluxe balcony in the mid aft section. No problem whatsoever. There were several cabins around me that were vacant. I thought maybe because it was across from the laundromat that it wasn’t desirable. It wasn’t a problem at all. In fact I think I will look at cabins in the future close to the laundromat as it was very convenient to do a load of laundry late in the evening. BTW, washer, dryer, detergent were all free. 

We booked an obstructed oceanview cabin a couple years ago and were upgraded shortly after Covid to a deluxe balcony.  Of course we cancelled and Princess had to cancel anyways as everything shutdown.  We re-booked but are still in our obstructed oceanview and it doesn't look like any upgrades this time.

Sorry late at night, we did not book guarantee cabins either cruise.

Edited by rsquirrel

On 5/29/2022 at 12:18 PM, ssbeagle said:

We have a guarantee cabin category on a cruise in December, so no cabin assignment yet.  I know that you can get assigned as late as embarkation day.  Can anyone tell me how that works, please?

See my response on the roll call for the cruise.

We have always chosen our cabin at booking.  We did it for this one but our TA messed up and lost the cabin because she didn’t follow through on finalizing the booking, thus the guarantee.  It wasn’t any cheaper than choosing our cabin either.  Same price.