What are the advantages to book a future cruise while onboard

Casanova02

I have never seen the benefit of the "Book Later" offer as you must select a sailing within 90 days or lose the OBC benefit.  I have always done the "place holder" strategy which allows me to reserve something 18-24 months in the future and select a different sailing way out in the future retaining all benefits. 

Recently I believe I read that the Book Later offer allowed you to change ALL names so it would be a way to allow you to book for others while onboard but again the sailing would need to be selected within 90 days.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a Celebrity "place holder" option for booking aboard in the recent past? That is the strategy our friends will need to take since the cruise we want will not likely be available 90 days from their September sailing. 

These friends have previously booked a cruise for us and themselves onboard that sadly we were unable to take due to covid. I supplied her with our key details, including our CC #s which makes it easier for the Future Cruise consultant to book us. However, per Celebrity's policy, the deposit was charged to our friend's onboard account and reimbursed by us.

14 hours ago, cangelmd said:

No, you need friends date of birth and name as appears on passport. We put the deposits on the credit card of the couple on the cruise and we use the same land side travel agent. I won’t say that it is super easy, but it isn’t difficult really. We settle up the deposits after the fact. Once booked, the reservations are independent and we can cancel, change whatever, independently. In fact, when the cruise gets close we will have to link the reservations to get the dining right.

I will say that we have known these guys for over 40 years and travel together frequently.

I forgot one important thing. We also get their Captains Club numbers. I don’t think that they have to have sailed with Celebrity before in order for you to book a cabin for them. I once booked a family cruise on RCCL, and some of my adult children had Royal numbers and some did not. Either way , we do get CC numbers.

• Like 1

Having booked future cruises while Onboard to get the $100 deposit and big OBC I recommend it.

After doing the Onboard booking I transfer the booking to My Travel Agent.

Keep checking the price of the Cruise booking you made Onboard.

I have found price drops and had my TA contact Celebrity to get me the lower price Without loosing the Perks that were included when I originally booked Onboard.

My question is this-can you book something, say for a year out and then you find a cruise you like better and then switch the booking and retain the perks?  I know we did before, but I think that had more to do with covid than just making the switch.  

For us the draw was only committing $$200 for the deposit, rather than the $900 required online.  We received $200 OBC for an 11 night sailing in concierge.  Not a great amount, but not bad either.   The pricing was not great, so I am prepared to regularly check the cost over the next year during promotions