Upgrade fairy called and I was upgraded to a Grand Suite :)

john91498

My parents got the ultimate upgrade once on the Inspiration (RIP) to the owner's penthouse suite on a cruise just before Christmas, overlooking the pool area. It had multiple rooms, multiple bathrooms, and was bigger than any hotel suite I've stayed in. The strange thing is that they didn't have to pay for the upgrade from a tiny suite and they had only done a few cruises on Carnival. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Upsell

It would of been over a thousand more if I booked the suite. So, I'm pretty happy with the upgrade being only $350.

Edited by john91498
  • Like 8

52 minutes ago, john91498 said:

It would of been over a thousand more if I booked the suite. So, I'm pretty happy with the upgrade being only $350.

Upgrades are free, anything that costs more money is an upsell

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

My parents got the ultimate upgrade once on the Inspiration (RIP) to the owner's penthouse suite on a cruise just before Christmas, overlooking the pool area. It had multiple rooms, multiple bathrooms, and was bigger than any hotel suite I've stayed in. The strange thing is that they didn't have to pay for the upgrade from a tiny suite and they had only done a few cruises on Carnival. 

These happen when the originally booked stateroom is removed from service.  It is never about who, it is always about location.

Accept an offer from the upgrade fairy

When cruise ships have one category or one sailing that’s more popular than others, the revenue managers will try to free up space in that category by offering targeted upgrades to booked passengers. The offers are a like a magical surprise, so long-time cruisers joke that they’re like a visit from the upgrade fairy. 
You’ll need to pay for the upgrade, but you’ll still get the nicer room at a discount.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HEATH3913 said:

Not sure about that. I was called the day before the cruise. Was offered a cove balcony on d2 from an interior on d1. Not sure why they would want that cabin the day before sailing. I declined the offer, $250 seemed like a lot.

Exactly. They just had an unsold cabin at a higher price and wanted to get it from someone in a cheaper cabin. You may have gathered that not all people who make definitive statements here are correct.

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

I also received a so called upgrade. Just do the math and you will see that it is definitely not an upgrade it is an upsell. It was the regular price of the new cabin. No thank you. 

I think it just depends on the offer. I was offered an upgrade from an interior to a lido balcony at a total of $150. Which was a lot cheaper than the current price of that balcony cabin. I took it. Some offers are worth it and some aren’t. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haehaehaley said:

I think it just depends on the offer. I was offered an upgrade from an interior to a lido balcony at a total of $150. Which was a lot cheaper than the current price of that balcony cabin. I took it. Some offers are worth it and some aren’t. 

Completely agree. We've received several offers and what we try to do is evaluate the amenities of the upgraded cabin versus the per-day cost of the upgrade.

Which brings me to our favorite upgrade story. This was a number of years ago, when we were looking for a President's Week cruise for us and two of our sons. We wanted an aft wrap for us. When the searching was done, we had an aft wrap on Conquest out of Galveston with sons in the aft cabin next door. So yeah - we booked the cruise for the cabin, not for the ship or the itinerary.

Two days before sailing, DH called me at work. "Carnival called."

"What do they want"?" I already knew they wanted our cabin.

"They want to move us and the boys to a grand suite. It's an extra $500."

"So they want us to give up the cabins we deliberately chose - and pay extra? I don't think so."

DH sighed. "I thought that's what you'd say. I'll tell them no."

Two hours later DH called back. "New offer - if we move to the grand suite, they'll give us the boys' fares as OBC."

Well, that was another story - essentially they'd pay us to move. Yeah, we took that one.😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1