New to MSC! Cruising Soon! Soooo Many Questions!

texangal39

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted or cruised since Nov 2018. In 2019 I did several fly & stays, and had three cruises booked for 2020 (June on NCL, Sept on Celebrity, and Nov on RCI), but then COVID happened. So, I'm dunking my toe back in the water and decided to try MSC for the first time before I take my longer cruise on different line later this year.

I booked a short cruise (4 days) to see if I like it. Cruising on the Divina in a Junior Balcony in the Fantastica experience with the Free Wifi and Drinks package.

I have lots of questions! TIA for any feedback and responses!!! 😀

1. Web check-in issues:  Lots of issues here. The link in the email I received to complete the web check-in did not work. But, I was able to get all of my info put in except the website wouldn't accept my credit card. I got an error that said "unmanaged card" several times, so I gave up on it. I don't know if that will cause issues or if I will just have to give my credit card at the Port. Does anyone know if it's best to have this done beforehand and if it will be an issue if it's not? Any recommendations on how to get this done before we get to port? (Side note: their website leaves a lot to be desired)

2. Upgrade offer:  Received 2 emails about upgrading. I ignored the 1st one because the prices were ridiculous. The 2nd one is offering three cabin types:

a)  Suite with Panoramic Sealed Window - I know I don't want that one. I am a balcony only cruiser and love having early morning coffee on my balcony. 

b) Aurea Balcony (offer range is $65-115 pp) - Is the Aurea experience and cabin worth upgrading at this price point? 

c) Premium Balcony (offer range is $20-50 pp) - Is this cabin worth the upgrade at this price point?

3. Private Island:  Is the purchase of a cabana worth the cost? I notice there are 3 levels/types and the only thing I could see that was different was the service (food & drink delivery), and amenities (snorkel gear, etc.).

4. Service and Food:  I have watched a few YouTube video's (all different vloggers) and everyone is complaining about the food and service indicating that MSC is awful at both on this particular ship. Anyone have better/different experiences? I love the food on Celebrity, HAL, and NCL, and think Royal Caribbean is fairly good too. I can't speak on Carnival because it's been nearly 35 years since I sailed with them. So, I'm kind of wondering about these reports of the sub-par food and bad service on the Divina because I think sometimes people are so busy comparing one cruise line to another when they are aboard ship that they miss out on the enjoyment of the cruise they are experiencing. I'm going in with an open mind but am curious about your experiences. So, what are your feelings/experiences regarding the service and food on the Divina?

Again, thanks so much for the responses!

Edited by texangal39

We are taking our 3rd MSC cruise on Divina in a few weeks and have always found the food on MSC to be delicous - especially the pizza.  Food in dining rooms has always been above par and honestly have never had a bad meal on any of the MSC ships we've been one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been on 3 MSC cruises, and always had something to eat in the dining room. The foo is quite good, even in the buffet, and their pizza is excellent. We've been on the Divina and Seashore, and have booked another Divina cruise for next year. I found the food at least equal to RCCL and NCL, and maybe a tick below Celebrity.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, texangal39 said:

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted or cruised since Nov 2018. In 2019 I did several fly & stays, and had three cruises booked for 2020 (June on NCL, Sept on Celebrity, and Nov on RCI), but then COVID happened. So, I'm dunking my toe back in the water and decided to try MSC for the first time before I take my longer cruise on different line later this year.

I booked a short cruise (4 days) to see if I like it. Cruising on the Divina in a Junior Balcony in the Fantastica experience with the Free Wifi and Drinks package.

I have lots of questions! TIA for any feedback and responses!!! 😀

1. Web check-in issues:  Does anyone know if it's best to have this done beforehand and if it will be an issue if it's not? Any recommendations on how to get this done before we get to port?

2. Upgrade offer: 

b) Aurea Balcony (offer range is $65-115 pp) - Is the Aurea experience and cabin worth upgrading at this price point? 

c) Premium Balcony (offer range is $20-50 pp) - Is this cabin worth the upgrade at this price point?

3. Private Island:  Is the purchase of a cabana worth the cost? I notice there are 3 levels/types and the only thing I could see that was different was the service (food & drink delivery), and amenities (snorkel gear, etc.).

Food is subjective, and has been commented on.  Let me weigh in on your other questions:

1.  Don't worry about the credit card.  You can easily do that on board or at check in. Ship side, MSC is very good.  Land side needs work, especially IT.

2.  Upgrade:  Not sure if you are quoting PP only or PP per Day.  Aurea cabins are generally the same size and rough location as other classes.  The old advantages of Aurea have been removed or reduced (no drink package, no free spa access on one free massage each, just a discount).  Only real advantage is some priority in boarding, anytime dining, and the private deck area (Top 18).  The Top 18 isn't really all that special, but your private access means you don't have to get up early to beat the chair hogs.  There is plenty of space, as a rule.  I have no experience with the Premium Balcony.

Ocean Cay:  There are no free umbrellas that I know of at the beaches, except for Lighthouse Beach right beside the beach, and in the Yacht Club area (which you won't be allowed access to.  If sun is a problem, you may want a cabana.  You do get better service.  Remember, though, that cabana rental is per cabana, not per person.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 2

We are cruising with MSC for the second time in a week, I had the same issue with checking in through their website in entering my credit card and uploading our pictures, but they still ended up emailing me our etickets. Later I was able to enter my credit card information and pictures through their App.

You need to download their App if you intend to connect to their Wifi in their ship, if memory serves me correct.

We sailed with them this past February. Their private island is nice, not as nice as Disney's or Royal Caribbean but we still enjoyed it. 

Service in the island for drinks was not the best, we had better luck getting drinks quicker at their light house bar.

• Like 1

Your junior balcony is a smaller cabin with no interior seating, (no couch or chair) and a more shallow balcony.  Fine if you are cruising solo.  And for only 4 days.  If the premium balcony is pp total, not per day, I would take it.  EM

• Like 1

@JAGR has almost said it all, thanks. Let me just to add that:

Against the American lines, MSC has some ATM like kiosks inside the ship that will permit you to enter your credit card. For safety reasons I suggest you to use that method for that purpose. It's usually a quick go and you can do it till the 2nd morning of the cruise. I usually do that after the first main show when pretty much everyone has done that on the long lines during embarkation day...

Premium cabins is a quite new sort of cabin category MSC is implementing. They're generally a tad larger than the others, have a slightly better furniture (on newer ships, divina is considered older for that count) and especially better location. If you want a little more space on a cabin nearer to the lifts, and that price is total for cruise, go for it. The Aurea one seems quite overpriced. Really what you'll get better is anytime dining and some boarding priority, once on a 4 days cruise with perhaps 2 ports, you won't really to use the sundeck that much. Too little for that price, IMHO, but only you can actually to decide.

Have a nice sailing!

• Like 1

Many of the complaints about MSC food seems to be because people go n board expecting Olive Garden, Carrabas, and Pizza Hut food.

They are shocked to find that Italian food is very different from the stuff served in those restaurants.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

On 6/4/2022 at 12:21 AM, BiloxiBeachDude said:

We are taking our 3rd MSC cruise on Divina in a few weeks and have always found the food on MSC to be delicous - especially the pizza.  Food in dining rooms has always been above par and honestly have never had a bad meal on any of the MSC ships we've been one.

Thank you for responding. I am looking forward to this cruise and am excited to see what MSC has or does that I’ll love the best.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, deliver42 said:

We've been on 3 MSC cruises, and always had something to eat in the dining room. The foo is quite good, even in the buffet, and their pizza is excellent. We've been on the Divina and Seashore, and have booked another Divina cruise for next year. I found the food at least equal to RCCL and NCL, and maybe a tick below Celebrity.

Thank you! I always like hear about other peoples experience even though I know it will be different for me because everyone has their own expectations and perceptions. I’m just super excited to be cruising after so long!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NDG72 said:

We are cruising with MSC for the second time in a week, I had the same issue with checking in through their website in entering my credit card and uploading our pictures, but they still ended up emailing me our etickets. Later I was able to enter my credit card information and pictures through their App.

You need to download their App if you intend to connect to their Wifi in their ship, if memory serves me correct.

We sailed with them this past February. Their private island is nice, not as nice as Disney's or Royal Caribbean but we still enjoyed it. 

Service in the island for drinks was not the best, we had better luck getting drinks quicker at their light house bar.

Hello, and thank you for the info and for sharing your experiences. It’s nice to hear what others think. I haven’t downloaded an app because the website made it seem as if the Divina was not one of the ships that has those capabilities. I guess I’ll do that in the next week or so.

😳 You were promoted to upload pictures? That never came up on our web check-in. Oh well. I guess they’ll find out what we look like when we get there 🤣

23 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Get to the private island relatively early, go to Lighthouse beach and find a free umbrella. If you go past noon, no seating or umbrellas will be available.

Thanks so much for the tip! I’m a slow person when I come to getting ready to go anywhere and this is really good to know. I will put my things out the day before so it’s doesn’t take me as long 😆

23 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Your junior balcony is a smaller cabin with no interior seating, (no couch or chair) and a more shallow balcony.  Fine if you are cruising solo.  And for only 4 days.  If the premium balcony is pp total, not per day, I would take it.  EM

Oh wow! Thanks so much for this info. I think the pic on website shows that it has a couch, but I could be wrong. I guess I better hope we get the upgrade after all since I don’t care for sitting on the bed. Maybe I’ll go look to see if I can update my submission to ensure the upgrade.

19 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

@JAGR has almost said it all, thanks. Let me just to add that:

Against the American lines, MSC has some ATM like kiosks inside the ship that will permit you to enter your credit card. For safety reasons I suggest you to use that method for that purpose. It's usually a quick go and you can do it till the 2nd morning of the cruise. I usually do that after the first main show when pretty much everyone has done that on the long lines during embarkation day...

Premium cabins is a quite new sort of cabin category MSC is implementing. They're generally a tad larger than the others, have a slightly better furniture (on newer ships, divina is considered older for that count) and especially better location. If you want a little more space on a cabin nearer to the lifts, and that price is total for cruise, go for it. The Aurea one seems quite overpriced. Really what you'll get better is anytime dining and some boarding priority, once on a 4 days cruise with perhaps 2 ports, you won't really to use the sundeck that much. Too little for that price, IMHO, but only you can actually to decide.

Have a nice sailing!

Hi there and thank you for saving me from standing in a long line of pax to access the kiosk to add a credit card to our account. If I can avoid a long queue, I most definitely will 😀 

As for the cabin, I’m going to try to modify my bid so that I have a better chance at an upgrade because I do like a couch or chairs in my cabin. It’s a short cruise, so I’m trying to keep that in perspective, but my weeklong or more cruise habits are trying to creep in.😊

Make sure that the credit card you plan on using on board ship has no foreign transaction fees as all MSC expenses are run through a French bank. This applies all MSC ships anywhere in the world.

Also warn your credit card company that they will be receiving a preauthorization hold request from the French bank.  This will prevent your card from denying the request and use of your card.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Many of the complaints about MSC food seems to be because people go n board expecting Olive Garden, Carrabas, and Pizza Hut food.

They are shocked to find that Italian food is very different from the stuff served in those restaurants.

Ok, now why did this reply have me howling with laughter?! I am so happy you took the time to reply and thank you for it! 

This is absolute gold and stuff like this is what I was talking about in my post about people comparing the cruise line to another while they are on their cruise because they miss out on enjoying what’s right in front of them. 

I have done fly & stays all over the world, including Italy, and always prefer local food because it’s part of the experience. So, you have excited me about the fact that MSC serves food authentic to Italy; that’s awesome!

As the song says, “I’m so excited!!” 🤩

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Make sure that the credit card you plan on using on board ship has no foreign transaction fees as all MSC expenses are run through a French bank. This applies all MSC ships anywhere in the world.

Also warn your credit card company that they will be receiving a preauthorization hold request from the French bank.  This will prevent your card from denying the request and use of your card.

Got it!! Thanks a million for the tip on the FTF’s because it didn’t even cross my mind!

54 minutes ago, texangal39 said:

Ok, now why did this reply have me howling with laughter?! I am so happy you took the time to reply and thank you for it! 

This is absolute gold and stuff like this is what I was talking about in my post about people comparing the cruise line to another while they are on their cruise because they miss out on enjoying what’s right in front of them. 

I have done fly & stays all over the world, including Italy, and always prefer local food because it’s part of the experience. So, you have excited me about the fact that MSC serves food authentic to Italy; that’s awesome!

I wouldn't say their food as "authentic to Italy" these days, because they serve mostly dishes from everywhere else, but it certainly is food that caters for a very international crowd with a definite contemporary Continental European flavour, IMHO, and comparing to here in Portugal it is like going on a nice wedding venue. Good to happily feed us for the day, but generally nothing to write home about. Comparing with RCI (in Europe) which is my unique cruising experience other than MSC, I'd say that they are more similar than different, apart the notorious American cultural heritage on RCI versus Continental European on MSC. MDR food seemed to me to slightly excels on MSC, especially desserts. Buffet offering was somewhat better on RCI, but again: Space wise nobody wins the RCI's Oasis class, and that pays dividends on the small details, and the dinner MSC buffet is usually quite "poor" making me to think that it is seen on them as such a "last opportunity" place for you to eat if you fail your MDR allocated time slot... Hope to have helped a little bit more.

• Like 1

On the Seashore (low passenger count), I never saw anyone at the Credit Card kiosk (Cruise Card Activation Point). You have from embarkation until 11 pm the following day to activate your account (per MSC website).

Their for-fee specialty restaurant, Butcher’s Cut, was excellent.  I am one of those who thinks MSC has the best pizza at sea.  It’s Neapolitan style, with a thin crust.  After eating it everyday for a week, very few others satisfy.  This is marinara on whole wheat. I totally did not miss cheese (but they do have excellent cheese).

7637E499-F42C-4A2E-8D86-44AD18E7A361.thumb.jpeg.8ca6900daae706bfe32d80492e541eaa.jpeg

• Like 1

Service is as good as any other line I have sailed. And I am just a peon in an interior cabin (but also Diamond level, thanks to their Status Matching Program).

When you come back, let us know what you thought.

Bon Voyage.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, Essiesmom said:

I am going to post some pics i took on Divina.  The first is 12173, at the time I took them it was a standard balcony.

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

The next cabin was also a standard bella balcony, but it is one of a number of cabins on Divina that had a tub/shower rather than just a shower, so does not have a full couch, just a soft chair:  Cabin 8114

The next is 9201, now classed as a junior balcony:

EM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texangal39 said:

To be specific, the family that owns MSC hails from Naples and much of the Italian food is Neapolitan.

That includes the pizza that meets the standards set by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.

In the morning, check the pizza area for another MSC specialty. They have hot, gooey sticky buns for breakfast. They are the best!

As Nunagoras has stated, besides the Neapolitan food, there will  be food available on board the Divina in the buffet that will include food common to any onboard European, Asian or South American guests. (which also probably is part of the complaints by the grits and gravy crowd that the food is bad). 

For breakfast, I loved hitting the English section for English bacon and the baked tomatoes, the section that had the various herrings and other smoked fish, looking at the Asia options, etc..

At lunch, the very rear of the buffet area would feature cuisine from a different part of the world.

My experience was pre covid and I don't know how many non North Americans will be on board ship at this point which means some of the cultural offerings may not be on the buffet.

• Like 1