6-3 Pearl sailing leaving Bermuda Early

jimsig

My parents are currently on the Pearl.  My dad called me earlier today and told me the Captain announced that as of this afternoon because of the tropical system possibly affecting Bermuda that they will leave Bermuda tomorrow afternoon (same day they arrive).  They will spend Monday at sea and possibly go back to Bermuda.  The captain did say it is subject to change depending on the storm.  

• Thanks 1

I was wondering what was going to become of this cruise.  Based on the last track predictions I had seen; the storm was to pass a bit to the north on Monday.  I would have thought that would mean they'd be clear to just sit in port and sail out as normal on Tuesday.

Edited by Broons77
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

I was wondering what was going to become of this cruise.  Based on the last track predictions I had seen; the storm was to pass a bit to the north on Monday which meant that they'd be clear to just sit in port and sail out as normal on Tuesday.

I saw it is projected to pass just north, but it's still in the cone.  I'm sure I'll hear from my parents today and see if there has been any change in plans.

• Like 1

very high heavy winds can have enough force to break off the ship mooring ropes. a very dangerous situation that can cause damage to the ship. With more then one mooring ropes snapping off, the ship could drift away and this could cause additional problem. Doing any fine tune navigation work like steering the ship can be a impossible task with high winds

with the upmost regard to safety for ship, passengers, crews, port officials, etc the best option seems to high to open waters and go far away from the storm as possible

Edited by shof515
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

with the upmost regard to safety for ship, passengers, crews, port officials, etc the best option seems to high to open waters and go far away from the storm as possible

Agreed, I just thought Bermuda was just south of the danger zone.  Definitely better to be in open water far away if the storm is tracking too close to port.  Totally trust the judgement of the Capt. on this one...

43 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Radar suggests the storm has broken up, though high wind and waves could still be out there.  Webcam for Port Everglades shows sunshine.

It's not breaking up, it's now Tropical Storm Alex and well off the Florida coast.  

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/tropical-storm-alex-named-after-it-departs-florida

Edited by jimsig

Got a couple quick texts from my dad today.  They are leaving today but he didn't say when.  Tomorrow will be a day at sea, I expect they will go south.  Tomorrow will be a day at sea and as of now are returning to Bermuda Tuesday.  

Edited by jimsig

1 hour ago, jimsig said:

Got a couple quick texts from my dad today.  They are leaving today but he didn't say when.  Tomorrow will be a day at sea, I expect they will go south.  Tomorrow will be a day at sea and as of now are returning to Bermuda Tuesday.  

Weather channel site makes me crazy, I checked radar just now and got this:

image.png.32295e468e562fe0ebaf819f65aeb10e.png

which is why I thought earlier that it had broken up, later I went back and found the big storm...  I'm sure it's there somewhere.  The ship goes north when it leaves Bermuda so it would likely turn east before going south.  Hopefully Monday at sea will get the turbulent weather far away for a brief stop on Tuesday.  Back in 2013 we followed a hurricane back to Bayonne and it was pretty rough, the pool was like a wave pool.

The Pearl should be okay tomorrow after leaving Dockyard & sail south full speed towards Bahamas & Caribbean waters, far from the storm ... Monday morning seemed to be the worst for Islanders on Bermuda. By Tuesday, things should begin to calm down.

The Joy should be fine dodging into Norfolk tomorrow as scheduled and maybe go east toward Bermuda at a slower pace until Tuesday, based on charts on Windy App.

Screenshot_20220605-173803.png

3 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Weather channel site makes me crazy, I checked radar just now and got this:

image.png.32295e468e562fe0ebaf819f65aeb10e.png

which is why I thought earlier that it had broken up, later I went back and found the big storm...  I'm sure it's there somewhere.  The ship goes north when it leaves Bermuda so it would likely turn east before going south.  Hopefully Monday at sea will get the turbulent weather far away for a brief stop on Tuesday.  Back in 2013 we followed a hurricane back to Bayonne and it was pretty rough, the pool was like a wave pool.

Real time weather (via Bermuda Web Cam) around 7:00PM/8:00PM Bermuda time showed heavy rain, visibility maybe to Heritage Wharf, and the palm trees were on the move!!

Just got a text from my dad on the ship asking me where they are 😆  Apparently they still have not fixed the ship tracker on the Pearl, it was not working in April either.  According to Marine Traffic they headed southeast after rounding Bermuda, but it hasn't updated there position in 14 hours.  They are in 25 to 30ft seas and the plan is still to go back to Bermuda tomorrow. 

norwegian-pearl.jpg

When I sailed to Bermuda in September, we left a day early because a storm was coming. Just a regular storm, not anything like a hurricane. The captain explained that the we needed to leave early because the way the currents and reefs that surround the island are, the ship could actually could be unable to leave if the winds kicked up enough.

Sea state & waves subsidized and watch Pearl returned from SE direction to Dockyard in the morning, on shipcam, stayed for about 8 hours & sailing to Bar Harbor next at 20 knots in the late afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Sea state & waves subsidized and watch Pearl returned from SE direction to Dockyard in the morning, on shipcam, stayed for about 8 hours & sailing to Bar Harbor next at 20 knots in the late afternoon.

Glad to hear they made it back to Bermuda for a second day there. Too bad they missed out on having a day in port that they did not have to worry about getting back on board at a certain time. I think it would be better than going to Canada though. At least they were able to have an extra sea day some place warm. I heard that a Royal ship went to Canada instead of Bermuda, but their timing for Bermuda may have been a little different. We had Adventure with us when we were in Bermuda last month, but I can't remember if it got there the same day we did. My brain has gone to s*** since I retired LOL.

Nothing against Canada. I am going there in September. It just would be a disappointment if one had been looking forward to Bermuda for the beaches, snorkeling, etc. 

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I heard that a Royal ship went to Canada instead of Bermuda, but their timing for Bermuda may have been a little different. We had Adventure with us when we were in Bermuda last month, but I can't remember if it got there the same day we did. My brain has gone to s*** since I retired LOL.

RC's Adventure Of The Seas is currently off of Cape Cod so that might have been it.

• Thanks 1