If testing positive on ship with cruise ending in Netherlands, does X report your case to the NL government?

MDTrip

I have read about people being taken off ship in hazmat suit and having special transportation, but is this happening for cruises ending in Amsterdam? 

48 minutes ago, MDTrip said:

I have read about people being taken off ship in hazmat suit and having special transportation, but is this happening for cruises ending in Amsterdam? 

Yes and they may take your passport too until after you quarantine 

3 hours ago, cavaaller said:

@steamboats

so they (Celebrity) do not confiscate the passports and hand them over to the authorities?

They did on the Transatlantic cruise , but the Dutch authorities only want the passport information, not the passports , Celebrity handed them over anyway 🙄

even passports of passengers that tested negative were hand over 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cavaaller said:

@Ex-Airbalancer  thank you for clarifying that. That sounds as if it was an oversight  / mistake and a one time event?

Our cruise end May 14, would need someone that was on a cruise after that one to see what happen 

check the roll call after the TA cruise to see what happened 

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Our cruise end May 14, would need someone that was on a cruise after that one to see what happen 

check the roll call after the TA cruise to see what happened 

I have decided to go ahead and purchase insurance that will cover me if I need to quarantine in Amsterdam when the cruise is over. So I guess it does not matter as much if they take my passport if I am positive... I won't be going anywhere for a while.

I don´t thank that passports were ever "confiscated". Celebrity might have collected the passports for the passport control which was necessary entering the Schengen area after the TA. But neither the Dutch authorities nor Celebrity has any legal right to "confiscate" a passport.

And during more than 2 years of cruising with Covid-19 I never ever heard that passports of those having tested positive (plus having to isolate)  have been "confiscated" by anyone - neither the cruise line nor any local health authorities.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

I don´t thank that passports were ever "confiscated". Celebrity might have collected the passports for the passport control which was necessary entering the Schengen area after the TA. But neither the Dutch authorities nor Celebrity has any legal right to "confiscate" a passport.

And during more than 2 years of cruising with Covid-19 I never ever heard that passports of those having tested positive (plus having to isolate)  have been "confiscated" by anyone - neither the cruise line nor any local health authorities.

steamboats

Do you think I am lying about the fact our passports were taken off the ship , and we had to pick them up at an office that was not in the terminal

Celebrity hand a note telling us to go to Kanaaslstraat 79, only to find out it was wrong address ,  and the passports were at Radarweg 34,  they was a box full of passport there and 2 buses of Celebrity staff also there 🙄

955655D4-D29B-4274-851A-264FF96631CD.png

DC18DADB-1570-4D54-BCE0-77F1B88BFF48.png

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Do you think I am lying about the fact our passports were taken off the ship , and we had to pick them up at an office that was not in the terminal

Celebrity hand a note telling us to go to Kanaaslstraat 79, only to find out it was wrong address ,  and the passports were at Radarweg 34,  they was a box full of passport there and 2 buses of Celebrity staff also there 🙄

No, but you passports have not been "confiscated" but taken for a passport control. "Confiscated" means they take them and don´t give them back. Yours were obviously handed over to the Dutch authorities for a check and you got them back from them. "Confiscated" for a positive person would mean that Celebrity keeps the passport to avoid the person leaving the country until the end of a certain number of days of isolation (and as I said before the Netherlands don´t have a mandatory isolation anymore for a long time).

steamboats

@steamboats

I promise this Is my last question : do I understand this correctly?
There is a difference between mandatory Isolation (as in "the authorities control that you isolate/quarantine"?) and the self-isolation stated here: (https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/self-quarantine/self-isolating :

"if you test positive for coronavirus after doing a self-test or getting tested by the municipal health service (GGD), you must self-isolate immediately" ??

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

No, but you passports have not been "confiscated" but taken for a passport control. "Confiscated" means they take them and don´t give them back. Yours were obviously handed over to the Dutch authorities for a check and you got them back from them. "Confiscated" for a positive person would mean that Celebrity keeps the passport to avoid the person leaving the country until the end of a certain number of days of isolation (and as I said before the Netherlands don´t have a mandatory isolation anymore for a long time).

steamboats

I never said they were confiscated, my mine was taken and I never tested positive for Covid 

2 hours ago, cavaaller said:

@steamboats

There is a difference between mandatory Isolation (as in "the authorities control that you isolate/quarantine"?) and the self-isolation stated here: (https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/self-quarantine/self-isolating :

"if you test positive for coronavirus after doing a self-test or getting tested by the municipal health service (GGD), you must self-isolate immediately" ??

We disembarked in Amsterdam a day early in April because I was tested positive the day before flying home. Now this was on a riverboat cruise, not an ocean cruise. But there were no authorities that controlled where and how long we had to isolate. Amsterdam has a "suggested" protocol for isolating (which is 5 days followed by 5 days of mask wearing) however you are responsible for taking care of yourself and others.

As a result of our "extended" stay we chose our own hotel. The only thing that was dictated to us at the time was the airline telling us when we could fly home. We weren't happy about it but made the best of a tough situation.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 4:32 AM, cavaaller said:

@Ex-Airbalancer  thank you for clarifying that. That sounds as if it was an oversight  / mistake and a one time event?

Not a mistake.  The issue was a large number of Covid cases on that cruise.  Friends were on Apex on the following cruise and the Dutch authorities had different policies in place.

• Like 1

We were on the May 14 - 26 Apex cruise Amsterdam - Amsterdam. I had five nights of quarantine on the ship, my husband had four. Guest services called us at 8:20am on debarkation morning and said we had been cleared to depart the ship and we had to carry off our own luggage (which they already told us the night before.) We walked off with everyone else debarking and checked into a hotel for six nights in Amsterdam. No passport checks or any other difficulties.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cavaaller said:

@steamboats

Yes, the self-isolation is on your own responsability. Nobody does check on you on whether you do self isolate or not. Mandatory isolation can be checked by the authorities. Usually when you´re from abroad the mandatory isolation is in a designated hotel. As the Netherlands don´t have a mandatory isolation anymore there are no designated hotels for this.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I never said they were confiscated, my mine was taken and I never tested positive for Covid 

And my first reply was regarding the "confiscation". You then asked my whether I accuse you of lying. No, I just said the passports have been taken but not confiscated.

steamboats

15 hours ago, steamboats said:

BTW, I currently have a friend from the US self-isolating in a hotel in Amsterdam - organized by the cruise line as this friend has been tested positive onboard.

steamboats

Which hotel? Does your friend recommend it? (Just planning ahead.) Thanks.

1 minute ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Why are they isolating?   You can now fly back to the U.S. without any tests so the airlines are now boarding active COVID cases

Because they don't want to infect others.  All businesses have always served or transported active covid cases.  Those people just did not know they had covid.  

Are you suggesting it would be OK to fly knowing you were positive?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MDTrip said:

Which hotel? Does your friend recommend it? (Just planning ahead.) Thanks.

The hotel doesn´t matter... And as they were tested positive onboard the cruise line did organize the hotel.

7 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Why are they isolating?   You can now fly back to the U.S. without any tests so the airlines are now boarding active COVID cases

Sure, you can fly back home being positive... But I definitely don´t want to sit next to you for 6 to 8 hours ;-)!

steamboats

• Like 1