Newbie to Cruising

Hi- I'm new here and in the process of planning a trip on RCCL.   I've searched the forums and found a lot of great information, but I'm still wondering a couple of things and hoping that more experienced cruisers will be able to guide me in the right direction.   Here goes:

- I found a Royal Caribbean cruise sailing April 2023 and want to take the same cruise in April 2024, but it doesn't appear to be listed yet.  One thread I found said that the 24 spring and summer offerings are usually posted around November to March of the preceding year.  Is this accurate?  I'm also wondering what the probability of a cruise offered in 2023 also being offered around the same time (itinerary) as the previous year?   I guess I'm wondering if RCCL typically "rinses and repeats" or do they mix things up from year-to-year?  I realize that there are no guarantees, just trying to gauge patterns.  

- On some of the April 2023 itineraries on RCCL that I'm using as references, I see that the suite category is sold out.  If the cruise that I want is offered in 2024, I'd really like to book the 1-bedroom suite.   Is this something I'm going to have to book immediately when the booking window opens or is it just that we're less than a year to the April 2023 sailing dates that there are no suites available?   

- Finally, is there a good place to go to learn about RCCL's current cancellation and FCC policies, etc.   I'm planning this trip to include some time in Europe, so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to speak with a travel agent and/or separately insure the vacation.   The time in Europe will likely be using Airbnb and I could look for ones that offer refunds on short notice.   I guess I'm asking if I should insure through RCCL or get my own insurance. 

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

Joe

• Like 1

Others will know more (and then whatever they say, someone will say the exact opposite,  so be prepared for that), but I have been on 4 cruises with RCCL in suites and I have never booked right when they come out.    It probably varies by ship though.

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

Yes, the schedule for that time period should open then...however keep watching when it gets close and try to book when it opens...We always book suites when they open to get our preferred location... and price point although I check pricing often once I book and since I book directly it's an easy call to get a price adjustment. As far as itinerary/ships it can vary...timing of sailings usually stays very similar. Check out RCI website for cancellation policy. I believe the FCC's are going away. You might consider a refundable deposit.

Third party insurance is always preferred for us as it includes our entire vacation. The Trip Insurance Store (888 407-3854) is a way to speak with a live agent that can advise you on the best policy for your personal needs. Their very popular with many here on CC. Best of luck on planning your trip.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I guess I'm wondering if RCCL typically "rinses and repeats" or do they mix things up from year-to-year? 

The former, most of the time, especially for O class.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

If you want a particular cabin book the day it comes out. I wanted the last cabin in boardwalk balconies for the best view of the aft and dive shows. I booked 2 dates but had to move one and that cabin was gone. 

Harmony I booked within days of it coming out and wanted double wide city park, and only ones left were deck 12. Cant wait on special cabins that are better in their categories. Prices usually go up not down on rcl in the past. And as you said the best suites sell out. ..but suites have a nonrefundable deposit you need to be aware of .. refundable is ridiculous amt more no one pays on suites. Dont book and expect to be able to cancel with a refund. Dont book until you are 99% sure. 

• Like 1

I second the notion on insurance.  Should you need to cancel you'll be glad you had it. 

Although I can't comprehend how some folks don't like cruising,  you msy want to try one before booking multiple (unless you're just planning ahead to 2024. Sounded like you were booking two).  

I always book as early as possible,  for best selection and more time in planning mode 😁😁😁😁

Insurance - you may want to check out an annual travel insurance policy.  They can cover a lot of trips. Or might be cheaper if doing one expensive trip.  

Are you looking at a Transatlantic cruise?  Or a specific ship?

You can look on this forum, Roll Calls, to see info from past cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alohayall said:

Insurance - you may want to check out an annual travel insurance policy.  They can cover a lot of trips. Or might be cheaper if doing one expensive trip.  

Are you looking at a Transatlantic cruise?  Or a specific ship?

You can look on this forum, Roll Calls, to see info from past cruises.

Yes, looking for transatlantic, not a particular ship.   There is cruise out of Tampa on 4/29/23 to Rome and a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to Rome on 4/22/23.  The later date works much better for my work schedule.   The ships are the Brilliance of the Seas and Odyssey of the Seas, respectively. 

I see that there is a MSC transatlantic on 5/15 to Genoa, which is actually the best timing for my work, but the reviews of MSC are all over the board and not sure.  

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The former, most of the time, especially for O class.

I had no idea that these ships are categorized by size, but makes sense.  I see that neither of the two cruises I was thinking are O class.   Personally, I think we wouldn't mind being on a smaller ship.  

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

Yes, the schedule for that time period should open then...however keep watching when it gets close and try to book when it opens...We always book suites when they open to get our preferred location... and price point although I check pricing often once I book and since I book directly it's an easy call to get a price adjustment. As far as itinerary/ships it can vary...timing of sailings usually stays very similar. Check out RCI website for cancellation policy. I believe the FCC's are going away. You might consider a refundable deposit.

Third party insurance is always preferred for us as it includes our entire vacation. The Trip Insurance Store (888 407-3854) is a way to speak with a live agent that can advise you on the best policy for your personal needs. Their very popular with many here on CC. Best of luck on planning your trip.

Thanks for the welcome and the contact information to the Insurance Store, definitely going to check it out.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

Biker19 usually starts a thread up here during the summer for itineraries opening up.  I suggest you watch for his thread, and stalk it.  That's what I do.

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Biker19 usually starts a thread up here during the summer for itineraries opening up.  I suggest you watch for his thread, and stalk it.  That's what I do.

Thanks for the heads up!  I will definitely keep my eyes for this over the summer.  

1 minute ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I will definitely keep my eyes for this over the summer.  

Sure.  🙂  Those threads have lots of great info about new releases in them.  And a lot of fun speculation as well.  

For your other question, you've probably found a sailing where the suites are sold out.  We like to sail in suites when the price is 'sweet', and usually book as soon as possible.  I've found that suites don't go down a lot in price over time.  Maybe it's when we are sailing, but most go up, and we have locked in the best price by booking early and picking where we want to be located.  Hope you have a first great cruise! 🙂

18 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I will definitely keep my eyes for this over the summer.  

Like the previous annual threads, it will be titled deployment 2024-2025. The first few months, it's mostly speculation as there's very little concrete info available.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Sure.  🙂  Those threads have lots of great info about new releases in them.  And a lot of fun speculation as well.  

For your other question, you've probably found a sailing where the suites are sold out.  We like to sail in suites when the price is 'sweet', and usually book as soon as possible.  I've found that suites don't go down a lot in price over time.  Maybe it's when we are sailing, but most go up, and we have locked in the best price by booking early and picking where we want to be located.  Hope you have a first great cruise! 🙂

We're really excited.  Haven't been on a cruise in 25+ years, so it's definitely like our first cruise again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

I see that there is a MSC transatlantic on 5/15 to Genoa, which is actually the best timing for my work, but the reviews of MSC are all over the board and not sure.  

I've not yet sailed MSC, but if you are looking at suites, the Yatch Club on MSC gets much better reviews than the rest of the ship.  I have a friend who has done the Yatch Club and absolutely loved it!  Not that you can go wrong with Royal either.  Heck, most lines in a suite are going to be an elevated experience.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

I've not yet sailed MSC, but if you are looking at suites, the Yatch Club on MSC gets much better reviews than the rest of the ship.  I have a friend who has done the Yatch Club and absolutely loved it!  Not that you can go wrong with Royal either.  Heck, most lines in a suite are going to be an elevated experience.  

Thanks @rebeccac  I definitely think that this might be a fall back if the two RCCL itineraries don't work out.    The Yacht Club does look nice.  

I think I'm in a good spot right now to do my research and to be ready when the 2024-25 deployments start rolling out.   Thanks again!  I'm going to keep reading about MSC and the Yacht Club! 

2 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

We've been using the Trip Insurance Store for several years now.  Very happy with them!  

Welcome to Cruise Critic!😊

43 minutes ago, alohayall said:

If not the Odyssey in 2024, some ship will head to Europe to avoid hurricane season and cruise the Med.

There's usually only one reason RCI moves its ships - $, nothing to do with weather.