Bordeaux experience

aqua

My friend and I wanted to visit a chateau when our ship was scheduled to overnight in Bordeaux. When we tried to find information about different options, we ran into multiple roadblocks including emails that were never answered. We finally decided to visit Margaux and had a wonderful day. I thought I would share our experience to help other travelers.

Oceania Sirena docked in the city of Bordeaux. We made the short walk to Quinconces tram station, purchased tickets at the machine, and took Tram C to Gare de Blanquefort.  At Blanquefort, we purchased round trip train tickets to Gare de Margaux. The actual travel time from Bordeaux to Margaux is less than an hour, however the train from Blanquefort to Margaux does not run often so the train schedule needs to be factored in.  It is also important that you purchase round trip train tickets because the train stations may close early.

From the Margaux train station, we walked to Château Marquis de Terme, where we had reservations for the "aperitif at the Château." It was a short walk but we used Google maps to direct us. We loved visiting the winery. The presentation of the food was beautiful, the staff was friendly, and the wine was delicious. We especially enjoyed sitting outside. After the tasting,  we walked around Margaux and stopped at Chateau Marquis d'Alesme, where we enjoyed a glass of wine in their lovely garden.  We walked back to the Margaux train station and returned to Bordeaux on the train and tram. 

On our second day in Bordeaux, we took a 3 hour private walking tour with Sophia from "the bordelais." She was very knowledgeable and fun! We visited historic landmarks, saw places where the local people gather, and sampled wonderful pastries. After the tour, we used the time before all aboard to further explore the city.

Bordeaux is now one of my favorite port cities. The city center is easy to see by foot and tram, the architecture is stunning, and the surrounding vineyards are amazing.
  • Like 6

Loved your post.  That is the way we travel (almost always DIY) although I might have rented a car rather than messing around with the trains, but we also love the various wine areas including Margaux.  It is a fascinating part of France where one can easily spend a few days just driving around to various small towns and world-class vineyards.

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks, acqua.  I'll be in Bordeaux on Sirena next year, so trying to gather information.  I'm not a drinker and so far a lot seems to be oriented to that, so I'd prefer to see more city sight or possibly some nice country.

In June, did you have to sit in Verdon for a few hours, as we're scheduled o do?  I understand it's a tide thing.  If you did stop, was there anything to see or do, other than excursions offered by Oceania which returned people to Sirena in Bordeaux?  Was there a shuttle to a town, or a cab or two available?  And if you cruise down the Garonne during day time, was it a fairly scenic journey?  I'm not sure if I want to stay on the ship for that or take an excursion. 

I see Marina is in Bordeaux today.  She's docked where you likely docked, by a big museum.  I'm looking forward to being right on a river on an ocean cruise, instead of in a boring but functional commercial port!

Ruth from Silver Spring

Hi Ruth, We did not have to wait in Vernon. The ship arrived in Bordeaux at 9:00 AM on day 1 and departed at 7:00 PM on day 2.  It was still daylight for the sail away and the views were lovely. 

I do not remember a museum at our docking location.  We were a short walk from the beautiful fountain at the Place des Quinconces.  It was wonderful to be in the city instead of a distant pier. We thought it was very easy to get around by foot and by tram.  My husband does not drink but he  loved Bordeaux. We really enjoyed trying the canele’ and dunes blanches pastries that are sold at special bakeries.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:34 PM, aqua said:

Hi Ruth, We did not have to wait in Vernon. The ship arrived in Bordeaux at 9:00 AM on day 1 and departed at 7:00 PM on day 2.  It was still daylight for the sail away and the views were lovely. 

I do not remember a museum at our docking location.  We were a short walk from the beautiful fountain at the Place des Quinconces.  It was wonderful to be in the city instead of a distant pier. We thought it was very easy to get around by foot and by tram.  My husband does not drink but he  loved Bordeaux. We really enjoyed trying the canele’ and dunes blanches pastries that are sold at special bakeries.  

Thanks.  That's helpful.  I'm really looking forward to Bordeaux now!

• 1 month later...

We're on the Pursuit & in June will b docking in Bordeaux for 2 nights. We've signed up for a 5 hour tour of medoc wineries & chateau tour that starts from a statue by Place de Quinconces. If we dock downtown about how far is it from the ship to the departure point ?

I suspect nobody knows (not even the cruise line).  It depends on where the authoities let the Pursuit dock and there are many options.  Many years ago when we were on the Prinsendam they allowed us to dock along the Parc de Bacalan which was probably 3/4 of a mile from your meeting point.  But even along that park area, the wharf/pier is quite long and not a commercial port so the docking position could vary by hundreds of meters.   We also saw commercial docking areas on the other side of the river and were thankful our ship was not at that location.  

One amusing tidbit is that when we docked along that parc, our gangplank would not fit because there was a metal fence along the park lawn.,  Two of our crewman got off the ship and started to dismantle part of that fence (using wrenches) and along came the gendarmarie who stopped our crew and sent them back on the ship.  We than waited for over an hour until a car pulled up with a couple of French workman who quickly dismantled part of the fence so we could put our gangplank in place.  This got the French a round of applause from several hundred passengers who watched this from the ship's decks.  We later learned that only a member of a certain French Union was permitted to remove bolts on that long fence line.  Having our crew do the deed could have led to an international incident :).

Hank

On 11/10/2022 at 8:11 PM, dabear said:

We're on the Pursuit & in June will b docking in Bordeaux for 2 nights. We've signed up for a 5 hour tour of medoc wineries & chateau tour that starts from a statue by Place de Quinconces. If we dock downtown about how far is it from the ship to the departure point ?

I'm on one of Oceania's smaller ships, Sirena, which is same the same size ship. Sirena was in Bordeaux twice this fall (as was one of O's larger ships) and all 3 times the ships berthed at Place de Quincones right near the "Bourse" (old stock exchange).  That's a great place, as very nearby are a tram that runs along the river right there,  a tourist office within a couple blocks,  a "bat" boat going across the river, and the "Mirroir de Eau" (I think) tourist attraction really close. The huge wine museum (Cite du Vin?) s a short tram ride away or a longer walk along the river. 

Of course, as someone indicated, the port assigns the berth, and yes, there are a number of them.  But I'm been obsessive about learning about cruising in Bordeaux, and so far Marine Traffic has shown Azamara, Silverseas, and Seven Seas ships, plus the Oceania ones, berthed at that same place.  So I think you'll have an easy time with meeting up there.

4 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm on one of Oceania's smaller ships, Sirena, which is same the same size ship. Sirena was in Bordeaux twice this fall (as was one of O's larger ships) and all 3 times the ships berthed at Place de Quincones right near the "Bourse" (old stock exchange).  That's a great place, as very nearby are a tram that runs along the river right there,  a tourist office within a couple blocks,  a "bat" boat going across the river, and the "Mirroir de Eau" (I think) tourist attraction really close. The huge wine museum (Cite du Vin?) s a short tram ride away or a longer walk along the river. 

Of course, as someone indicated, the port assigns the berth, and yes, there are a number of them.  But I'm been obsessive about learning about cruising in Bordeaux, and so far Marine Traffic has shown Azamara, Silverseas, and Seven Seas ships, plus the Oceania ones, berthed at that same place.  So I think you'll have an easy time with meeting up there.

face.jpg.891352a51286b7784f801a6f8373817f.jpg

The picture above shows the "Bourse" with a nearby statue near the waterfront.  (It's Marthe Adelaide).  Dabear, I should probably clarify that this is probably not the statue you need to find for a tour. But it (and the Bourse) may provide a bit of reference as to location of the berth along the river for cruise ships.  On the attached map, you can see Place de Quincones.  There is a very tall statue in that immediate area which I would think would be a good place for a tour to meet. But obviously it could be somewhere else.   

face 2.jpg

You definitely CANNOT miss the statue/fountain in Quinconces,  It's huge.   Also, there is a good size ferris wheel there next to the promenade.  I used it a few times as my "landmark" when walking back to my hotel after a day of wandering.  I stayed at Hôtel de Tourny, a quick walk behind Quinconces.  If you need a place to stay, I'll recommend it.  I was there as a solo and liked it.  

1VHXWqTnRemv8U4WywyL5Q.jpg

h7ICgd%RRluU+9Q2p5ejqQ.jpg

Ot4Zy%DvSomw%SdV5tn2vQ.jpg

• Like 1