How do you set-up your Cpap?

Yehootu

45 minutes ago, caribill said:

Also the bathroom outlet USA style outlet only accepts 2 prongs of equal size (not the polarized type with one larger plug or the three pronged type).

Photo from Royal Princess.

891229 082 12.29.14 Royal Princess cabin L115 - bathroom outlet DSC03876.JPG

Very true, I have a dedicated adapter for my "polarized" bathroom night light.

I have to cut down on all of the extras that I cruise with.  I even have small weather station and outdoor thermometer that "talks" to the weather station.  What the heck, I'm having fun with all of my stuff.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Does anybody including @JF - retired RRT have experience with the Reamed Air mini Travel CPAP?  Especially on longer cruises?  Looking for some advice, thanks.

Do you mean ResMed? No experience w/that one. DH has a Z2 Auto. Cost about $500, so less $$ than ResMed. He used it at home (his old unit was one of the Phillips recalls). Got the Z2 for cruises and to use until he gets a replacement.

Nice machine, very quiet (as they all air nowadays)...back in the day, the first CPAPs were in a suitcase (no joke) and sounded like a vacuum cleaner. 🤣 My patients were so desperate for sleep, they used them anyway.

Anyhoo, read the reviews. Find one you like and buy it. Almost all CPAPs are pretty reliable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Daniel AI travel frequently for extended periods of time with my bulky night stand Resmed.  It is a pain in the okole to tote it around as hand carry.  I have looked into an air mini....but I would miss the water chamber for added humidity.  Air Conditioned air can be really dry and affect your nasal passages as you sleep.  

The good would be the ease of travel, lightweight, and very portable.  I don't know how functional it would be for a 2 month trip.  If you have your humidity level low or do not use your water chamber, then I would guess it would work.

I have tried to sleep with less humidity.  Found it to be uncomfortable when I work up (dry).

I have the insert to use my machine without the water chamber.  Haven't been brave enough to try it yet.  

Good intentions...Just not there yet.

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have tried to sleep with less humidity.  Found it to be uncomfortable when I work up (dry).

I have the insert to use my machine without the water chamber.  Haven't been brave enough to try it yet.  

Sounds like you're talking about a "French nose". Give it a go. Lots of hospitals are using these on ventilators instead of water-filled humidifiers due to the contamination that can occur in a water-filled chamber.

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Daniel AI travel frequently for extended periods of time with my bulky night stand Resmed.  It is a pain in the okole to tote it around as hand carry.  I have looked into an air mini....but I would miss the water chamber for added humidity.  Air Conditioned air can be really dry and affect your nasal passages as you sleep.  

The good would be the ease of travel, lightweight, and very portable.  I don't know how functional it would be for a 2 month trip.  If you have your humidity level low or do not use your water chamber, then I would guess it would work.

I looked a little further into the AirMini and I saw some positives and some negatives, as is everything in life...  It does not have an internal battery (which I thought it did) but it appears that there are some after-market battery packs that will work with the AirMini (one may work for 3 nights on a charge.)  As far as humidification goes, they have these discs that fit into the hose that apparently captures the humidity of your exhaled breath and humidifies your inhalations.  They have two levels of humidification, and the discs are supposed to be good for 30 days.  

I am disappointed about the need to either plug the device in or purchase an after-market battery pack.  I thought a travel CPAP would eliminate the need for an extension cord at night.  I wonder how much the after-market batteries weigh?  That could make it just as cumbersome as bringing the regular table top model on a cruise.

Edit - ResMed battery which will power both the AirMini or the Airsense 10.  Other battery packs available.  Downside to powering the Airsense 10 is that the heated hose and humidifier need to be turned off if running on the battery.

Pilot-24 Lite CPAP Battery/Backup Power Supply for ResMed AirMini, AirSense 10 Pap & S9 : Health & Household (amazon.com)

Edited by Daniel A
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I traveled with mine as an airline pilot. First thing I did on check-in was set it up, first thing in am was to pack it back up.Hassle yes, but I didn't have to stay in a Holiday Inn to get good sleep.My okole hurt anyways from all da sitting. I now keep one in Honolulu and one in Long Beach.

Edited by Yehootu

2 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

I traveled with mine as an airline pilot. First thing I did on check-in was set it up, first thing in am was to pack it back up.Hassle yes, but I didn't have to stay in a Holiday Inn to get good sleep.My okole hurt anyways from all da sitting. I now keep one in Honolulu and one in Long Beach.

In a year, I will be able to do the same.  I was told that I could get a new machine after 5 years…that will be super great.  

How will I know if you are piloting me on one of my flights?  I bet you know my airline relatives!

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

In a year, I will be able to do the same.  I was told that I could get a new machine after 5 years…that will be super great.  

How will I know if you are piloting me on one of my flights?  I bet you know my airline relatives!

See my edit for my earlier post at #32.

11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not me, 40yrs was enough. I took covid relief leave for my last 3yrs.

• Thanks 1

On the ships I have been on, all except one, I use the US plug at the desk. Cord reaches fine from the nightstand. I made a little stand that goes behind the lamp. Tha CPAP sits on that, nice and level. Day time Mask and Tube on in the nightstand drawer. The machine stays on the stand. I cover it with Disposalable Shower Caps, to keep the dust off. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

On the ships I have been on, all except one, I use the US plug at the desk. Cord reaches fine from the nightstand. I made a little stand that goes behind the lamp. Tha CPAP sits on that, nice and level. Day time Mask and Tube on in the nightstand drawer. The machine stays on the stand. I cover it with Disposalable Shower Caps, to keep the dust off. 

I was instructed to keep my CPAP below my head.  My guess is so that I don't "accidentally" drown with the water chamber draining down with gravity.  Hence, my collapsible stool that fits inside the night stand drawer.  All gets stored in the drawer during the day.  Good idea about the shower cap.