Encore or Escape

ccc321

I’m planning a cruise with my bf for my 50th birthday in January.    I haven’t sailed since 2016 on the Breakaway.  Id like to try a different class ship but also read somewhere that the encore is geared more toward millennials.  I like older music (60’s and up) to dance.  But heard the encore is 80’s up.  Looking for thoughts and opinions.   I like to relax as well as be somewhat adventurous. Bf is more laid back.   Wouldn’t do slides or laser tag.   I may get him on a go cart.   Thanks

My vote is for Escape.   First they have "Howl at the Moon" for fun and signing along dueling piano's.  Also, no laser tag.   They have a nice adults' only H2o area with a water feature and comfy seating on the Waterfront.  I also like the Brazilian steakhouse that's on Escape and not on Encore

I've sailed on the Bliss and Joy and would prefer either of those over the Encore as the Encore dropped Spice H2o (the free adults-only deck space) in favor of moving the laser tag to that space to make room for a larger Vibe that is an extra cost.

I'm eyeing the Escape for my next trip.

1 minute ago, ccc321 said:

I’m planning a cruise with my bf for my 50th birthday in January.    I haven’t sailed since 2016 on the Breakaway.  Id like to try a different class ship but also read somewhere that the encore is geared more toward millennials.  I like older music (60’s and up) to dance.  But heard the encore is 80’s up.  Looking for thoughts and opinions.   I like to relax as well as be somewhat adventurous. Bf is more laid back.   Wouldn’t do slides or laser tag.   I may get him on a go cart.   Thanks

The Encore is a nice ship!  We went on the Encore in April and had a great time with a mix of all ages! 

Neither of us felt any desire to use the laser tag, slides, or race cars, but feel that they are great options!

We were never bored and we felt that there was plenty of variety of things to see and do.

In January (especially if mid-to-late month,) the passenger demographics trend toward the 50's plus (+) age groups, so music "might" trend more towards those tastes.

25 minutes ago, ccc321 said:

I've been on both and while they are very similar, there are some distinct differences as already mentioned.

On Escape you have Spice H2O, an adults only outdoor area

On Encore you have the Observation Lounge, which is one of the best spaces on any cruise ship.

We chose Joy for our next cruise because it has both!

On Encore, you have the restaurant Onda, which is outstanding, along with Los Lobos, which was one of my favorites.

On Escape you have Howl at the Moon, which we missed on Encore and will miss on Joy next week.

Both have Choir of Man, best show on any cruise I've been on.

Encore has Cavern Club with a Beatles tribute band. So fun!!

Escape has public sun deck space on the 19th deck right outside of Vibe. It's not well known and it has it's own bar and whirlpool. This is big if you're not in Haven or Vibe as there is not an abundance of space by the pool on either ship.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things but that's what I can remember.

We had so much fun on both.

If being outside in the sun is important to you and you're not in the Haven or paying for Vibe, I'd probably choose Escape.

I'd give the edge to Encore for specialty dining.

Entertainment is close. Love Howl at the Moon on Escape. Love Cavern Club on Encore.

Encore is newer.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Itinerary could be deciding factor....

• Like 1

I'm in my mid 40s and don't find one ship more age-geared than another. I just think the Cavern Club is throwing you. Everything people point out above is important. I prefer the Escape personally due to Spice H20 and Pinchos Tapas. I prefer a ropes course over race cars, but that's a one-time, short thing for me, so not worth factoring in.

The biggest thing for me this winter is that the Escape is planning to sail out of Cape Canaveral, which is less convenient for people flying in. So, Encore for us.

IMO: If you are flying, pick Miami departure. Moving around Miami is much easier than PC. Landing in Orlando puts you an hour away from the port. 

If driving pick Port Canaveral. It's probably closer if you are coming from the north and hotels around there are likely less expensive.

• Like 1

I was on the Encore last year and will be again in September. I'm 56 and did not get any kind of age related vibe from it at all. It is a great ship. The only possible downside would be the itinerary you are on. If it is warm weather related there is too much outdoor  deck space taken up by the laser tag and go cart track. 

Thanks everyone.   I think Im gonna go with the escape.    While the Beatles cover band is right up my alley and I’d prefer the ports on the encore, my bf has family in Orlando so we’ll fly down a couple of days early and visit.  Now the planning begins.  As well as my obsession. Lol

In general, entertainment is pretty consistent across the NCL fleet. The Encore is not designed for for millennials. We have sailed on the Escape about 6 times and the Encore 3 times. We would select the Encore since she is newer and has the Observation Lounge which we spend a lot of time in (the Waterfront is nice, but is often too hot or cold for us - depending on the itinerary). And we would eat at Onda and Los Lobos over La Cucina and Moderno.  

22 hours ago, ccc321 said:

Check out