Travel Agent Group Rates

bigbeergut

I will likely book my first HAL cruise in a few weeks but I've been having a difficult time finding any discounted rates.  Do travel agents offer discounted group rates on HAL like they do on other cruise lines?  Are there any additional perks offered such s additional OBC?  Is there a general rule of thumb what percentage constitutes a good deal.  Please don't mention any particular TAs.  I'll continue my search if there's a possibility of finding something.

Many TA's will include OBC, excursion credit or a dining/beverage package if you book with them. Some big box agencies give a rebate in the form of a company credit card.

Consider service as well as gifted perks when deciding if it's a good deal or not. What matters to some is not the same as what matters to others.

There are group rates on virtually all cruise lines. But I think the "group" rates don't kick in until 10 or more cabins, some its 14 cabins.

As to discounts, you just have to do your research and weigh what you are offered.

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are group rates on virtually all cruise lines. But I think the "group" rates don't kick in until 10 or more cabins, some its 14 cabins.

As to discounts, you just have to do your research and weigh what you are offered.

I really was talking about booking a large group of my own.  What I have found with other cruise lines is that prior to final payment some TA's reserve or are assigned a certain number of cabins at a lower group rate that is offered to their clients.  I haven't been able to find that for the cruises I've thinking about with HAL.

27 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Many TA's will include OBC, excursion credit or a dining/beverage package if you book with them. Some big box agencies give a rebate in the form of a company credit card.

Consider service as well as gifted perks when deciding if it's a good deal or not. What matters to some is not the same as what matters to others.

Your absolutely correct it's a value proposition.  But I've found some TA's for other cruise lines offering discounts in the 7 -8 % range.  For that amount on expensive cruises, I'll look around.  The TA just needs to be available to service the booking without long delays.

I got ~10% discount/rebate on my group cruise when booked through my TA.  Group rates are usually the same as going rate (at launch pricing), sometimes less.  You get one free berth credit for every 16 people (or eight cabins), I think...

On 6/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, nyc12345 said:

I got ~10% discount/rebate on my group cruise when booked through my TA.  Group rates are usually the same as going rate (at launch pricing), sometimes less.  You get one free berth credit for every 16 people (or eight cabins), I think...

Again, I don't think this was the question the OP was asking.  I think the question was do travel agents ever offer reduced rates because they have reserved a number of cabins at a reduced rate?  On other cruise lines the TA's can offer these rates until final payment is due as long as they still have some of their reserved space is available.  You don't need to organize a large group by yourself.

• Like 1

We typically book well inside the final payment window.

On a few occasions our online TA has added us to an existing group that her firm was sending. 

The extra discount was never more than $100 on a 10 or 14 day cruise.  I suspect because our last minute price was always attractive.

On one occasion there was no additional discount other than the usual TA proved OBC’s.  What we did get was a very well organized private tour with a great lunch in Barbados.

We never did meet anyone else from these phantom (to us):,groups. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, iancal said:

We never did meet anyone else from these phantom (to us):,groups. 

Yes, they are sort of a "phantom" group. I know we have at least once if not more been a part of such a group, but also have never knowingly met someone else from the group.

TA’s often grab cabins and create a group when the prices are low. They can then offer a further discount of 10 - 15%. Additionally, they may be able to offer additional perks. These groups are simply a group of cabins and do not necessarily have anything in common other than the TA. Of course, they can also create a group for a large family, business trip etc… 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 11:58 AM, bigbeergut said:

I really was talking about booking a large group of my own.  What I have found with other cruise lines is that prior to final payment some TA's reserve or are assigned a certain number of cabins at a lower group rate that is offered to their clients.  I haven't been able to find that for the cruises I've thinking about with HAL.

If you have more than 10 cabins and are booking your own group TAs should be able to make a group booking and secure additional amenities depending on the size of the group. You can also contact the HAL group sales department if you prefer to work with them directly. If it is a sizable & close in booking you might be able to get a discount for a non-commissionable rate if they are desperate to sell cabins, but I am not sure how much flexibility they have on this.