Positive PCR test, Certificate of Recovery, On board testing.

rsail203

I'm confused and maybe somebody can help me with this confusion. I returned from a cruise with a sore throat and cough. I tested positive on May 26th. With medication, my symptoms were gone a week later. A week after that I took a home test and still showed positive. A week later, took a PCR test and I'm positive, so I plan to get a Certificate of Recovery for my August cruise. 

Now my question is: I know that if on board, you're considered a close contact to someone who tests positive, you're quarantined and tested. Since you're already positive, what happens then? You test positive, and now you're quarantined for the remainder of the cruise? Has anyone had this experience? 

What are the options?

1 hour ago, rsail203 said:

I'm confused and maybe somebody can help me with this confusion. I returned from a cruise with a sore throat and cough. I tested positive on May 26th. With medication, my symptoms were gone a week later. A week after that I took a home test and still showed positive. A week later, took a PCR test and I'm positive, so I plan to get a Certificate of Recovery for my August cruise. 

Now my question is: I know that if on board, you're considered a close contact to someone who tests positive, you're quarantined and tested. Since you're already positive, what happens then? You test positive, and now you're quarantined for the remainder of the cruise? Has anyone had this experience? 

What are the options?

Can't specifically answer about with a Certificate of Recovery but my understanding is that if in Close Contact you only have to stay in your cabin for X number of days and tested daily after x number of negative tests you are released to the wild.  

It would seem logical (but Celebrity may not be logical) that if you have a COR and considered immune for 3 months then you wouldn't have to do the quarantine but again I'm trying to be logical.

• Haha 1

I asked a similar question a week or so ago; one passenger said he boarded the ship with a CofR and a positive PCR test result.  He said that pre-empted him from having to have a covid test prior to boarding and also pre-empted him from testing for the next cruise, a B2B.  We are going on a back2back July 9 and will be using CofR and positive test for boarding and presumably if there is a test required for the B2B (as it was for us the end of May, and DH was positive)--and because I was a close contact, though negative, Celebrity required me to to isolate with him as well, of course I tested positive a couple of days later after we disembarked and were in isolation).  It's good for 90 days from date of testing positive.  So, as I understand it, the CofR and positive test negates any requirement the ship would have for testing and therefore isolating--prior to the cruise and on the cruise.  The entire cruise has to be covered by the 90-day period from testing positive.  I know I'm not answering your specific question, but to your question, perhaps it would depend if you were symptomatic as well as a close contact?  Interesting question you pose.

Edited by 12cruise2

On 6/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, 12cruise2 said:

I asked a similar question a week or so ago; one passenger said he boarded the ship with a CofR and a positive PCR test result.  He said that pre-empted him from having to have a covid test prior to boarding and also pre-empted him from testing for the next cruise, a B2B.  We are going on a back2back July 9 and will be using CofR and positive test for boarding and presumably if there is a test required for the B2B (as it was for us the end of May, and DH was positive)--and because I was a close contact, though negative, Celebrity required me to to isolate with him as well, of course I tested positive a couple of days later after we disembarked and were in isolation).  It's good for 90 days from date of testing positive.  So, as I understand it, the CofR and positive test negates any requirement the ship would have for testing and therefore isolating--prior to the cruise and on the cruise.  The entire cruise has to be covered by the 90-day period from testing positive.  I know I'm not answering your specific question, but to your question, perhaps it would depend if you were symptomatic as well as a close contact?  Interesting question you pose.

CofR is for boarding and being on the ship but check each port to see if any require a test. 

We both used a Letter of Recovery to board a Transatlantic cruise in April with no problems. The PCR test and Letter must be dated at least 11 days prior to embarkation and you must show both at check in. We were then exempt from testing for the following cruise as we were B2B. There was no quarantine or isolation on board.

10 hours ago, BBJJTJ said:

We both used a Letter of Recovery to board a Transatlantic cruise in April with no problems. The PCR test and Letter must be dated at least 11 days prior to embarkation and you must show both at check in. We were then exempt from testing for the following cruise as we were B2B. There was no quarantine or isolation on board.

I don't think the letter has to be dated at least 11 days prior to embarkation but the Positive PCR test definitely must be.  DW tested positive exactly 11 day prior to embarkation and had to wait to get the CoR letter until after isolation was completed and no symptoms for at least 2 days.

Here are the Celebrity requirements for CoR

A Certificate of Recovery must meet the following requirements:

• Be on official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
    • The Provider’s name
    • The Provider’s address
    • The Provider’s phone number
    • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation 
  • Be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider
  • Date of validity must extend throughout the duration of your cruise
  • Include a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.