Best wildlife opportunities on this itinerary?

auntjoy036

Hi all. My niece and I are cruising up the Alaska coast this summer. I hope to spend some time on deck looking for wildlife while we are underway. Are there places along the route where wildlife is more abundant? Our itinerary is Vancouver-Sitka-Tracy Arm-Juneau-Hubbard Glacier-Ketchikan-Vancouver.  Thanks for your help.

Don't get your hopes up for this to happen. About the only thing to see from the ship are whales and they will likely be a long way away. Also the ship doesn't slow down so your viewing will be just glimpses. Be ready for cold winds if on deck. 

You likely will see bald eagles in all of the ports. (look for golf balls in the trees to spot them). I have seen lots of wildlife in AK but almost none of it from the ship. IMO you need an excursion to see  wildlife.

Sitka bird rehab, Juneau whale watching, Ketchikan crab boat. Not cheap but you will see wildlife. May luck out and see a bear at Juneau glacier or Ketch tour if in Aug. sightcrr

@SightCRR, Thank you for your help. I have booked wildlife-focused shore excursions - whale watching in Juneau, Fortress of the Bears and the raptor center in Sitka, and a private tour in Ketchikan. I thought it would be a treat to also spot a whale spout or two while we are sailing.

• Like 2

Read this review of a recent cruise with your locations.

Serenade Multi Glacier May 1 - 8, 2022 RECAP - Page 3 - Royal Caribbean International - Cruise Critic Community

Skip the ship parts if N/A. Fyi he has a huge camera. Snow likely missing on mts when you go. 

During Hubbard Glacier watch for seals on the ice flows. In Sitka if you go to the totem park make sure to check the nearby river for salmon and eagles.  Check the raptor center for reduced viewing because of bird flu. Fortress of the Bears is much like a zoo.  

sightcrr

8 hours ago, SightCRR said:

About the only thing to see from the ship are whales and they will likely be a long way away. Also the ship doesn't slow down so your viewing will be just glimpses.

I was under the impression that ships are now required to slow down where there are whales? Perhaps not in Alaska?

Last October, there was a bear sighting in Glacier National Park.  The onboard ranger announced it over the PA.  From our balcony, we were at the wrong side to see it.

I was sitting on our balcony (11th deck) on the Grand Princess in Juneau and heard a sound which drew my attention to the water.  I thought, in disgust, who would throw a tire in the water.  The tire “rolled”; a whale!  Watch the ice flows in Glacier National Park; we saw seals.  Saw a river otter from our balcony and a shoal of Dall’s porpoise.  They won’t be close enough to photograph but still an exciting experience to see.

• Like 1

In June 2010, we saw one whale from the ship and a pod of orcas, but I understand it’s an uncommon occurrence. Humpbacks are often congregating around Icy Strait Point and Juneau by now and most of them aren’t going to be “in transit.” You’ll have much better luck on your whale watch!

On 6/21/2022 at 2:40 AM, SightCRR said:

About the only thing to see from the ship are whales and they will likely be a long way away. Also the ship doesn't slow down so your viewing will be just glimpses.

I was under the impression that ships are now required to slow down where there are whales? Perhaps not in Alaska?

From a recent article in USA today .....can' find a date but .........

Humpback whales have returned to Alaska's Glacier Bay, and a new speed limit on cruise ships has been implemented to protect them.

The 13-knot speed limit goes into effect today in some areas of Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, according to park officials.

At least 14 humpbacks were sighted in lower Glacier Bay in recent days, said the park's acting superintendent Tom VandenBerg.

Specifically, the whales were seen feeding in waters extending from the mouth of the bay to an area parallel with the northern tip of Strawberry and Lars islands, according to a prepared statement.

Cruise ships also are being restricted to a mid-channel course, or one nautical mile offshore, officials said.

The humpbacks migrate to Glacier Bay in spring and summer. Several cruise lines including Princess Cruises and Holland America Line visit the park from May to September.

The new speed limit is effective until further notice. It's not expected to have any impact on the cruise passenger experience.

Existing rules also require cruise ships to maintain a 1/4-mile distance from whales in order to reduce disturbance and the risk of a whale-ship collision.

Last summer, the park implemented speed limits of 10 knots at some times, 13 knots at others. When whales are not present, ships are allowed to travel through the park at 20 knots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1