Celebrity Sale for Solo Cruisers: No Supplement Charge For Selected Sailings

mahdnc

On 6/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, mahdnc said:

What prevents two people (like my wife and I) who normally sail as 1st/2nd in one cabin from booking two adjoining cabins as solo paying passengers?

You would miss out on discounts for second passenger, e.g. second person 60% off, if you had such an offer.  

16 minutes ago, JJRP said:

You would miss out on discounts for second passenger, e.g. second person 60% off, if you had such an offer.  

Good point. However Celebrity is very good at marketing an equivalent offer disguised as something different. Case in point: yesterday's 60%-off-the-second-passenger offer has been replaced with a 30%-off-every-passenger offer which is the same thing for a double occupied cabin. But the two-solos-in-two-cabins plan gets the discount!

Woo hoo (x2)!!

F053100B-572E-47C4-AAC8-4E5C5CB90D96.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

43 minutes ago, Elkins45 said:

I must be a dummy but when I checked the spreadsheet it said the single supplement for all those cruises was 100%. Shouldn’t it be 0%?

I think of the supplement as a multiplier. If it's 200%, then the solo passenger has to pay double the rate for 1st passenger.

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

I think of the supplement as a multiplier. If it's 200%, then the solo passenger has to pay double the rate for 1st passenger.

Hello,

I think they need to find another word to describe the charge. I for one look upon the word 'supplement' as being an additive not a multiplier.

Regards,

Cublet

On 6/21/2022 at 12:42 PM, mahdnc said:

Other than not wanting to abuse the promotion so that Celebrity will continue to offer solos a price break again in the future.

Where is the abuse of the promotion?  If sharing a room you pay double the price.  Therefore, Celebrity would get the same revenue if two people shared a room or each had separate connecting rooms.  The bottom line for Celebrity is the number of reservations and revenue.  

TBH it would seems like the promotion is successful because of the number of reservations.  There is no way for Celebrity to tell who is traveling together unless reservations are linked.  Even then it has no bearing on the relationship of individuals.  

12 hours ago, JJRP said:

There was no 60% off the 2nd guest per se.  If you selected 2 guests the price was just doubled what you paid for one.  

28 minutes ago, verizon said:

IMHO If every couple cruise as Solo there will be less passenger  on the ship  and there will be less crews needed and there will be less covid cases on the ship.

Hello,

What the number or ratio is, I do not know. But solo pricing is limited to 'something' after which the double occupancy rate is applied. I experienced this once myself when all available 'solo occupancy' cabins had been booked, and it was 'pay double or forget it'.

Regards,

Cublet

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

Where is the abuse of the promotion?  If sharing a room you pay double the price.  Therefore, Celebrity would get the same revenue if two people shared a room or each had separate connecting rooms.  The bottom line for Celebrity is the number of reservations and revenue.  

If solos had to pay double the price (solo supplement) then there would be no difference (ignoring onboard spending differences of course). That is what the solo supplement is designed to do. 

But if solos do not pay double, but rather only for themselves (no solo supplement which is the current promotion), then couples that otherwise would double occupy a cabin, could elect to book two cabins of the same category--and occupy each cabin as a solo for the same cost. Or some couples may elect to book a suite as a solo for one of them and an inside cabin as a solo for the other and pay less than if they had booked a double occupied a suite.  Either way, in the most extreme scenario, Celebrity's ships would sail half full (passenger point of view: woo hoo!) or half empty (Celebrity financial accounting point of view: boo hoo!).  

Edited by mahdnc

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

If solos had to pay double the price (solo supplement) then there would be no difference (ignoring onboard spending differences of course). That is what the solo supplement is designed to do. 

But if solos do not pay double, but rather only for themselves (no solo supplement which is the current promotion), then couples that otherwise would double occupy a cabin, could elect to book two cabins of the same category--and occupy each cabin as a solo for the same cost. Or some couples may elect to book a suite as a solo for one of them and an inside cabin as a solo for the other and pay less than if they had booked a double occupied a suite.  Either way, in the most extreme scenario, Celebrity's ships would sail half full (passenger point of view: woo hoo!) or half empty (Celebrity financial accounting point of view: boo hoo!).  

Ships don't have to sail at full capacity for Celebrity to breakeven.   I know on RC the breakeven point is less than 50% on their bigger ships and higher on smaller and  older ships.  I would imagine Celebrity is similar.  There is no advantage for a couple to book a suite and inside room.  The person in the inside room wouldn't get the suite benefits and there is probably little savings in doing this.  

I still don't see the abuse.  The few couples who would book two separate rooms is probably low and might have personal reasons to do so.  Otherwise, for a couple there is little financial benefit since the cost is the same.  

54 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

I still don't see the abuse.  The few couples who would book two separate rooms is probably low and might have personal reasons to do so.  Otherwise, for a couple there is little financial benefit since the cost is the same.  

While ships don't have to sail full to break even, they cruise lines try mighty hard to fully load them.

Again, couples can financially benefit by booking a higher cat cabin (such as an FV) and an inside cabin separately as solos versus paying for the FV cabin as double occupants.   There is a large cost difference between the two.

Edited by mahdnc

And as mentioned way back when, if the balcony cabins adjoined, there'd be shared balcony, two bathrooms (TWO!!), two TVs, and two beds.  If my DH were still living, that would absolutely be preferable to both of us stepping on top of one other in a standard balcony cabin.  Definite benefit.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

And as mentioned way back when, if the balcony cabins adjoined, there'd be shared balcony, two bathrooms (TWO!!), two TVs, and two beds.  If my DH were still living, that would absolutely be preferable to both of us stepping on top of one other in a standard balcony cabin.  Definite benefit.

Also no need to sleep on the couch in the case of a late night heated disagreement.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question for long time Celebrity cruisers. I just booked a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Beyond for Jan. 23 taking advantage of this promo  

What do you thing the likelihood of this or a similar promotion reappearing next year?

The current promo only covers cruise thru the end of March `23 so so. I can only afford to cruise once every 9 -10 months so was thinking of booking a Fall `23 transatlantic cruise if they run similar promo next year. I know it's dependent on their load counts next year but did they run these types of Solo promo's pre-Covid?

13 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

Question for long time Celebrity cruisers. I just booked a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Beyond for Jan. 23 taking advantage of this promo  

What do you thing the likelihood of this or a similar promotion reappearing next year?

The current promo only covers cruise thru the end of March `23 so so. I can only afford to cruise once every 9 -10 months so was thinking of booking a Fall `23 transatlantic cruise if they run similar promo next year. I know it's dependent on their load counts next year but did they run these types of Solo promo's pre-Covid?

Because of the popularity of transatlantic cruise there is no solo supplement charge.

21 minutes ago, verizon said:

Because of the popularity of transatlantic cruise there is no solo supplement charge.

There certainly is for Fall `23 transatlantic cruises, there isn't a singles supplement for Fall `22 cruises. I just did mock booking for both and compared the double occupancy and solo occupancy rates.

59 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

There certainly is for Fall `23 transatlantic cruises, there isn't a singles supplement for Fall `22 cruises. I just did mock booking for both and compared the double occupancy and solo occupancy rates.

I am solo on a TA, 10/24/22 EDGE out of Rome to FLL.  There is an almost identical cruise 11/17/23 EDGE out of FLL to Barcelona, both 14 day cruises almost apples to apples port stops/sea days.  I got a deal and a half, as the 11/17/23 cruise is currently selling for just about 3x more for the exact same suite/room that I have on 10/24/22.  Although I got $800 total OBC and the 11/23 is offering $1200. When my TA called me he said if you don’t at least put the deposit on this now it will be gone tomorrow and that was on 7/20.  I'm pretty darn pleased and I guess timing is everything.  

Edited by LGW59

1 hour ago, dreamer321 said:

I doubt they'll be offered next year.  Depends on numbers of bookings, obviously, but it appears the current supplement offer is capacity controlled.  A couple of cruises I've booked (through March) at 100% are now 200%.  

2 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

I know it's dependent on their load counts next year but did they run these types of Solo promo's pre-Covid?

This solo promo is extremely rare.  I don't remember seeing this during pre-Covid times.  It must be a sign of how much unsold capacity there is.  Discussed on another thread, Celebrity just sent out a free 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise (Solstice) offers to some passengers who are only at the introductory level in Celebrity's gambling loyalty club (Blue Chip Club). I have not seen that before either.  

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I am solo on a TA, 10/24/22 EDGE out of Rome to FLL.  There is an almost identical cruise 11/17/23 EDGE out of FLL to Barcelona, both 14 day cruises almost apples to apples port stops/sea days.  I got a deal and a half, as the 11/17/23 cruise is currently selling for just about 3x more for the exact same suite/room that I have on 10/24/22.  Although I got $800 total OBC and the 11/23 is offering $1200. When my TA called me he said if you don’t at least put the deposit on this now it will be gone tomorrow and that was on 7/20.  I'm pretty darn pleased and I guess timing is everything.  

I was unable to locate any Edge transatlantic sailing in November 2023.  Do you perhaps mean April 17, 2023?

Yes, it's clear the cruise lines are struggling to fill some ships as I've seen lines ditching solo supplement which I've never seen before- Celeb, P&O and a few others

The depts rather have anyone onboard than no one on board so I think they're well aware couples might book two solo rooms etc which is why they've never really done great solo deals until recently. Good deal if u can get it!