Celebrity app and kids

itsanita

We will be with 3 kids on a Celebrity cruise in July.  I am wondering how the ship app work for kids.  

We adults have downloaded and created passwords and user names.   

Can the kids use the same ones?  Or do we have to create their own user name and password?   The apps have a 'communication' area that we are hoping we can use to keep in touch while on the ship with the kids.  Does this work well?

Can anyone fill me in on how this works?    We have always turned off our phones on our cruises.... but phones seem to be part of the cruise experience now.

7 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

you can't have multiple devices logged in under same name and password at same time. You likely have a plan for one device so another user can only log in if you have logged out

That is true for connecting to WiFi, but the app can be used by anyone on the ship, whether they have WiFi access or not.  (Sorry that’s not stated more clearly, I obviously need more coffee!)

To be a bit more technically correct.  Anyone can connect to the ships WiFi to use the app or connect to the Celebrity website without a "WiFi" package.  The package allows access to the internet.

So even if the kids don't have a package they can use the app.   As stated I don't believe the app uses notifications when a message is received so that limits it's usefulness.    To use iMessage or WhatsApp you need to have a package.   To use SMS texting you have to have phone service either WiFi  calling or CellularAtSea.

7 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

To be a bit more technically correct.  Anyone can connect to the ships WiFi to use the app or connect to the Celebrity website without a "WiFi" package.  The package allows access to the internet.

So even if the kids don't have a package they can use the app.   As stated I don't believe the app uses notifications when a message is received so that limits it's usefulness.    To use iMessage or WhatsApp you need to have a package.   To use SMS texting you have to have phone service either WiFi  calling or CellularAtSea.

Recently they finally added notification.   It was available when on Silhouette in April.   When I tried it, it worked pretty good .

If I recall on the App you can link to others in your party. 

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Sorry, I don't believe this is correct. 4 of us on recent Eclipse cruise tried using the communication/text function of the app and while wrk2cruise is right in pointing out you don't need a wifi package, you do need a separate log-in to use the app. I tried using DH's log-in and every time I logged in it kicked him off the app on his phone. Not a big deal to create an account if you/your children have a valid email address. 

I will also mention that the app was only minimally useful in communicating with our friends. Spotty reception in some areas, you have to keep the app open on your phone (battery drain), no notifications and there were times when the messages would randomly show up hours after they were sent. I am fairly certain there was an "age restriction" message for the app too but can't remember exactly what the details were. 

In April (as a first time cruiser) the app messaging feature seemed like it may have been a re-skinned version of the RCL app.  We had watched a royal caribbean blog Youtube video that walked through the app.  And,  pre-cruise we found a lot more info about the RCL app than Celebrity's version.

Edited by Cap_D