Restaurant Reservations

nextariel

According to My Journey restaurant reservations started at 8:00PM Pacific time on July 22, 2022. They are still not available this AM. Is this typical? Does the same thing happen with shore excursions? TiA

• Like 1

Wow just called and the only tables for two are at 9:00 at night, or you can book a table for 10. This is a real disappoint as we purchased a Penthouse Verandah in order to be able to schedule better dining and shore excursions. 

This is our first Viking cruise as was really hoping for better shore side service. 

3 hours ago, nextariel said:

According to My Journey restaurant reservations started at 8:00PM Pacific time on July 22, 2022. They are still not available this AM. Is this typical? Does the same thing happen with shore excursions? TiA

I don't even add the days that the alternative restaurants can be booked to my calendar, as we don't make any bookings pre-cruise.

You should have no problem making reservations onboard the ship. We never book earlier than the day we want eat in one of the restaurants, or even just turn up. Generally, always manage to get a table.

Since many vendors are no longer in business, Viking are having a tough time arranging shore-ex, so yes, you may also experience a delay in having them available.

I am also experiencing these problems with booking private tours, as many of the vendors I used previously are no longer in business. Others that still have websites, are taking months to respond. We may be getting back to travelling, but it is a long way from pre-COVID norms.

• Like 3

This has been an ongoing issue since the restart after the pan-dammit. No one seems to know why. For what it’s worth, once onboard we didn’t have trouble making reservations especially if you have some flexibility. I suggest trying first on the app or the stateroom tv (which worked great in the before times but not so much last July) before heading to the reservation desk on Deck 1.  If no luck there, try stopping by the maitre d’ podium when you’d like to dine and asking. They have cancelations or must keep some empty tables. To date have always been seated or asked to come back in 15-30 minutes or tomorrow. 

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, nextariel said:

This is our first Viking cruise as was really hoping for better shore side service. 

As others have pointed out, I am sure that you will get the reservations once onboard. In our experience the onboard service seems to be as far above our expectations as the shore side often falls below them.

Being something of a Viking "old hand" now (and having the same issue with reservations) I know from past experience that all will be well once we are on the ship. However I am still disappointed with Viking on three levels.

1/ Restaurant booking is an inherent part of their operation (see point 2) Given the number of ships and itineraries, these booking windows must be opening almost every day. As the whole process is completely under Viking's control it would seem hard to find an excuse for not having a robust system in place. I understand that even the most robust systems can fail due to something unforeseen but even then there should be some back up response (see point 3)

2/ While those in the know realise that they are of little practical value, Viking choose to use advance speciality restaurant booking in promotional material as part of their price differentiator between cabin grades. Therefore, if the appropriate advanced reservations are not available, I feel that customers are effectively being short changed by not receiving the benefit as advertised.

3/ Viking's system efficiently sent me an email saying when dining reservations were supposed to open. When something in the system failed, rendering that initial email inaccurate, an appropriate reaction would have been for them to send a revised email with updated information. At least in this way they could acknowledge and apologise for the failure rather than, as is currently the case, leaving customers (new and old) completely in the dark.

Am I correct to be disappointed or am I missing something?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

As others have pointed out, I am sure that you will get the reservations once onboard. In our experience the onboard service seems to be as far above our expectations as the shore side often falls below them.

Being something of a Viking "old hand" now (and having the same issue with reservations) I know from past experience that all will be well once we are on the ship. However I am still disappointed with Viking on three levels.

1/ Restaurant booking is an inherent part of their operation (see point 2) Given the number of ships and itineraries, these booking windows must be opening almost every day. As the whole process is completely under Viking's control it would seem hard to find an excuse for not having a robust system in place. I understand that even the most robust systems can fail due to something unforeseen but even then there should be some back up response (see point 3)

2/ While those in the know realise that they are of little practical value, Viking choose to use advance speciality restaurant booking in promotional material as part of their price differentiator between cabin grades. Therefore, if the appropriate advanced reservations are not available, I feel that customers are effectively being short changed by not receiving the benefit as advertised.

3/ Viking's system efficiently sent me an email saying when dining reservations were supposed to open. When something in the system failed, rendering that initial email inaccurate, an appropriate reaction would have been for them to send a revised email with updated information. At least in this way they could acknowledge and apologise for the failure rather than, as is currently the case, leaving customers (new and old) completely in the dark.

Am I correct to be disappointed or am I missing something?

I also think you’re spot on. I have a list of suggestions that I always use on the post cruise survey and #10 is just that.  (#9 is being picky but it seems like it would be the easiest to make better)

Viking Suggestions

1. At tea offer a smaller portion rather than throwing a whole set up away
  2. Have the desserts in the World Cafe be as tasty as those at Tea...or just serve whatever isn’t used. 
  3. A news channel other than or in addition to Fox
  4. Serve onion soup in The Restaurant in a smaller portion
  5. Add Yerba Maté to the tea lists
  6. Take down sheers in The Living Room-let’s see the sea
  7. Add cushions to the arms of the seating on Deck 9 forward. 
  8. After this many years, it’s time for some new shows. 
  9. Better communication between departments. Examples- when passing Gibraltar at midnight-don’t have only one bartender in Explorer’s Lounge, if roof over pool needs maintenance don’t do it on a sea day when folks are enjoying having it open. 
  10. Make shoreside service comparable to what we experience on the ship. Examples-restaurant reservation system is confusing, possible to get multiple answers to the same question from telephone or chat representatives, etc. 
  • Like 3

We are on a 21-night Med Cruise on Sky that sails from Athens to Barcelona on September 1. Reservations for our level of stateroom (PV1) were scheduled to open last Saturday at 8:00 pm. It actually opened at 6:00 am that morning. We were under the impression that we could book one reservation each in Chef's Table and Manfredi's. 

So when I went to make reservations, imagine my surprise that I could make a SIX reservations—for each restaurant. Called VIking to see if that was a screw-up. It was not. Because our cruise is also three one-week cruises, we are allowed two for each week long cruise we are doing. And because we are staying that long, they gave us double. That gives us 12 of 21 nights in Specialty restaurants. We couldn't even use them all because we are spending nights off the ship in Venice and we have really late excursions on a couple of days. The inconsistency is crazy.

Edited by DrKoob

6 minutes ago, coloradocruiselover88 said:

I dislike that Viking opens up dining and shore x reservations in a tiered manner based on your cabin level.  But have never had an issue getting dining reservations once onboard.

Ability to book dining reservations and excursions is definitely a perk for those booking higher priced cabin/suite levels. No different than the additional benefits made available to those cabins such as larger sized cabins/suites, laundry, dry cleaning, in-room liquor, etc. Everyone has the option of booking the cabin/suite they prefer and at the price level they are comfortable with. Viking makes these amenities clear when you make your booking. This is no different than everything in life ---- you get what you pay for.

• Like 8