Quantum Alaska Positive After Getting Home

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

Ok. So then why require vax for kids?   I don’t get the logic.   As if that is going to change anything?   All of this would be happening if the ships were 100% vaccinated quadruple boosted.  I don’t like all the tests either, but at least that keeps people with Covid from getting on the ships and spreading it more.  Seems to me that testing is the only defense mechanism.  It has it’s obvious limitations and downsides, but at least it does work to some degree.  There is zero doubt that keeping Covid positive people from boarding the ship will reduce Covid spread.  Of course, some will always slip through the cracks.   

Since vaccines don't seem to prevent the contraction or spread of COVID, the only logic I can see for requiring them to cruise is that they probably lessen the severity of the infection, which in turn lessens the possibility of a medical emergency aboard the ship.

As for testing, it seems to make logical sense, but then you have to consider that testing only returns the status for a very brief moment in time.  It can take days for an existing infection to create symptoms and/or a positive test.  Someone can test negative on Friday, then contract it when flying to the port on Saturday, and by Wednesday when symptomatic, have spread it to hundreds of other passengers.

Requiring vaccines seems to protect the cruise lines and passengers themselves from dealing with sever medical emergencies.  Testing is theater.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Since vaccines don't seem to prevent the contraction or spread of COVID, the only logic I can see for requiring them to cruise is that they probably lessen the severity of the infection, which in turn lessens the possibility of a medical emergency aboard the ship.

As for testing, it seems to make logical sense, but then you have to consider that testing only returns the status for a very brief moment in time.  It can take days for an existing infection to create symptoms and/or a positive test.  Someone can test negative on Friday, then contract it when flying to the port on Saturday, and by Wednesday when symptomatic, have spread it to hundreds of other passengers.

Requiring vaccines seems to protect the cruise lines and passengers themselves from dealing with sever medical emergencies.  Testing is theater.  

No doubt there are big holes in the net with testing.  But the net still catches a lot of fish.  So at some point they will need to weigh the cost benefits.  The pita part isn’t even the biggest factor IMO.  The cost of all the testing is astronomical. But I still believe the best mechanism of defense is testing.  But they will never test enough for it to stop spread on the ships and the cost would be way too high.  

As far as vaccines.  Statistically, kids just don’t have the same bad outcomes as adults or in particular older adults.  Sure there have been some that get it bad or sadly lost their lives.  But as I’ve heard many doctors say (and this was during the worst Covid strains), I’d much rather be an unvaccinated kid getting Covid than a fully vaccinated older adult.  So the more manageable outcomes issue doesn’t really play out for kids.  Also, it is estimated that 3/4 of kid’s already had Covid (a high percentage of adults too).  So they get that same protection from bad outcomes with the immunity built from prior infection.   We all know everyone can get it and spread it independent of vax status or prior infection (or both).  I just don’t see any objective rationale for requiring kids to be vaccinated.  They rarely have bad outcomes and the dominant majority of them have some natural immunity from severe outcomes.  

Edited by topnole

Two Alaska cruises so far and no sickness for us. The doctor in the house requires masks on these “full” cruises. Two more to go this summer.  Masks weren’t required for all the previous variant cruises.  ——take one doctor and call me in the late morning——

24 minutes ago, topnole said:

No doubt there are big holes in the net with testing.  But the net still catches a lot of fish.  So at some point they will need to weigh the cost benefits.  The pita part isn’t even the biggest factor IMO.  The cost of all the testing is astronomical. But I still believe the best mechanism of defense is testing.  But they will never test enough for it to stop spread on the ships and the cost would be way too high.  

As far as vaccines.  Statistically, kids just don’t have the same bad outcomes as adults or in particular older adults.  Sure there have been some that get it bad or sadly lost their lives.  But as I’ve heard many doctors say (and this was during the worst Covid strains), I’d much rather be an unvaccinated kid getting Covid than a fully vaccinated older adult.  So the more manageable outcomes issue doesn’t really play out for kids.  Also, it is estimated that 3/4 of kid’s already had Covid (a high percentage of adults too).  So they get that same protection from bad outcomes with the immunity built from prior infection.   We all know everyone can get it and spread it independent of vax status or prior infection (or both).  I just don’t see any objective rationale for requiring kids to be vaccinated.  They rarely have bad outcomes and the dominant majority of them have some natural immunity from severe outcomes.  

I agree with you on the usefulness (or lack thereof) for kid's vaccines.  I still say that testing is theater.  Again, most people will test before traveling to the port.  Many of those people travel by plane.  They can pickup COVID on the way, and the CDC says that Omicron is so transmissible, an infected person passes it to 7-14 others.  Consider how close people are on a cruise ship with shows, elevators, tenders, etc.  I think it would be quite easy for a single infected passenger to pass COVID to at least 25% of the ship during a 7-night cruise.  It could even be closer to 50%.  But ships aren't docking with 50% of the people onboard being sick.  Why?  Because Omicron is not that "virulent" and humans have really good immune systems.  

7 hours ago, soremekun said:

I'm glad you are doing ok.  Have any of the other family members been tested?  Are you going to report the test result to Royal Caribbean?

Where would you even report it? 

we were recently on a Adventure cruise to Canada- It was mobbed.  I kept my mask on in indoor public areas as did the rest of my family.  While we were fine, bet lots of covid on the ship.  They are packing people in like sardines now.  Fortunately, we are all fully vaccinated including boosters.

We have another trip scheduled in August.  Hopefully the Oasis will handle the crowding better then the Adventure did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

You would report it because RCI policies are very generous in offering compensation for those testing positive up to 10 days after the cruise. 

Vaccines keep people from getting so sick that they require hospitalization and ICU time.  Can it happen?  Yes, it happens with other illnesses too, but the reason hospitals have very low case numbers proves something.  While lots are catching it EVERYWHERE (or just testing positive), pre-cruise testing still hasn't been proven to make any difference.  We've done 2 b2b's since restart (and went to WDW) and the only thing I caught was a sinus infection (yes I was tested-rapid and PCR and was neg) on our last cruise in April when there were 490 kids on EN.  We don't wear masks unless we have to.  Last time I wore a mask was Wed for my physical.  Prior to that was in the terminal boarding the ship where required, but not onboard.  And, we just wear the paper masks and have not caught it so far.

Edited by BND

Good news.....the poster had vaccines, boosters, wore a mask everyplace, stayed away for people, socially distanced, hand sanitizer 25 times a day and got COVID.  But the good news is that the 95% of passengers that did not do any of that had no COVID.  I'm going with the odds on my next cruise of no mask, hand sanitizer, and cramming into elevators.  Will feel safer that way.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, soremekun said:

I'm glad you are doing ok.  Have any of the other family members been tested?  Are you going to report the test result to Royal Caribbean?

15 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

... and the airline, airports, etc., etc., etc.

I believe there is a link on the RCC website to report post cruise covid.  Haven't seen such a link on the airline site.   Several from a recent cruise contacted RCCL with positive test results.

M

7 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Q

What should I do if I test positive for COVID-19 after my cruise?

A

If you or a member of your travelling party tests positive for COVID-19 in the 14 days following your cruise, please contact our post cruise customer service team. You should also inform your local health agency.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

You would report it because RCI policies are very generous in offering compensation for those testing positive up to 10 days after the cruise. 

Compensation for what?  Many were diagnosed one they returned home.  

M

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Hardly a sign of Covid on the two cruises on other lines I took last September and December.

The omincron variant had not reared its ugly head until late December, so it is hard to compare then and now. The current -4 and -5 strains seem to slip past the vaccine more often as far as preventing  infection, however cases are much milder compared to the original or delta. I do agree with you that Royal's policies of full capacity, no social distancing, little mask use, etc. do help contribute to the spread. The multivalent vaccines currently expected out this fall should help with the variants that are less affected by the current ones.

16 hours ago, ChadC880 said:

I was the one ...  with the mask on, getting hand sanitizer at most of the stations and vac boosted and all. Saturday night I felt a weird feeling in my throat ...  OMG 😳 it was positive. 

Yeah, I was vaxxed and wore my mask every day in my classroom ... after a year and a half, Covid caught me back in February.  Don't overlook the negatives of being careful: 

- I avoided it for a year and a half /avoided catching it a second time. 

- I had a light case -- I credit the vaxx for that. 

But this is more than a head cold:  After I tested negative again, my symptoms "came and went" for weeks.  It'd be headache for a day, then a couple days of coughing, then I'd think it was gone -- but something would come back.  

56 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That's a good analogy.  No, vaxxing and testing aren't perfect, but they are much better than nothing.  

A better analogy than the "hole in the fishing net" is a "hole in the gas tank".  Yes, a small hole will only drip a little bit of fuel out and may not significantly shorten the driving range, but all it takes is one match to blow the car to pieces.  😜

I was on the 6/13/22 Quantum cruise.  It was the 3rd attempt to book this cruise due to Covid. So guess what??  My wife contracted Covid the last night of the cruise (although if was not confirmed until when we got home). She is vaccinated & boosted once. I have tested myself twice with negative results since coming home. I'm not sure what I could of done to stop this but wear a mask 24/7 and we wouldn't have done this cruise if this was the case.  Her symptoms are minor (slight fever, the "cough", and fatigue) but still a pain in the butt. I have contacted RCCL but expect to hear back maybe in 2-3 weeks (that seems to be the turn around time with them).  This is mainly just to get out the fact that Covid is still out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mndity said:

Her symptoms are minor (slight fever, the "cough", and fatigue) but still a pain in the butt. 

I did not realize butt pain was a COVID symptom. Sorry, I could not resist.  😜  Seriously I hope her symptoms remain mild and she recovers quickly.  I'd be interested to hear what RCCL tells you.  I expect they will just say "thanks for the info" but you never know!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

This is what I don't understand why Royal (CDC) is still requiring everyone  to pre-test. It doesn't help and is a HUGE pain in the rump. 

All kids 6 months and up SHOULD be required to vaccinate now. ( to cruise)

Can you please explain how in the world this is going to help in any way? Vaccinating 6 month olds? Only in the US, China, Cuba and a few other countries can you do that. 

17 minutes ago, Marty McFly said:

Facts don't lie.  COVID-19 is a leading cause of death among children 0-19 years.  See page 26-27 of this CDC document:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2022-06-17-18/02-COVID-Fleming-Dutra-508.pdf

Yes the numbers are low, but if you can prevent serious illness and a few deaths, why wouldn't you?  It comes down to your risk tolerance for your kids.

Very misleading saying 4th or 5th is a leading cause of death.  I believe the CDC published there were around 500 (or some very low number) kids that died from COVID from Mar 2020-Mar 2022. Why vaccinate the kids when the odds are pretty much nil, but the long term affects are unknown?  Did you know the CDC recommended and stated the vaccines are safe for pregnant women based on testing on mice?