Skagway forward Railroad berth damaged

azbirdmom

I just saw a report of a rock slide that happened this morning at the Railway Dock in Skagway.  I saw pictures of huge boulders next to the ship but no information about any injuries or damage to the ship.  Sure hope that's because there weren't any.  Hoping someone onboard can provide an update.

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I just saw a report of a rock slide that happened this morning at the Railway Dock in Skagway.  I saw pictures of huge boulders next to the ship but no information about any injuries or damage to the ship.  Sure hope that's because there weren't any.  Hoping someone onboard can provide an update.

Where did you find the pictures?  

Anchorage news reports that this am after the Discovery was docked and 20 minutes before passengers got off a rock slide damaged the dock. Ship was repositioned to back berth and a RCCL ship was forced to skip the port. Article said that people were getting tendered over to small boat ahrbor. Looking at bridge cam, no one is on the dock.

4 hours ago, Jase0581 said:

The captain just announced we will be tendering with 3 of our tenders and the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam is lending 3 of theirs.  Will at least be able to get into Skagway.

Good that they've figured out a way for folks to enjoy their visit in Skagway.  It could have been so much worse.

• Like 1

Yikes.  We were just there our selves on the Discovery in May.  We saw a very large crowd of passengers walking up the dock from the ship.  A rock hitting then would have been a major disaster. 

Bob

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Saw a bunch on FB and here's a video that the owner had given approval for folks to share.  https://www.facebook.com/marni.newhouse/videos/434941794864529

This content isn't available right now
When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.

1 hour ago, ImperialLady said:
This content isn't available right now
When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.

Sorry about that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Thank God the dock was empty at the time.  If the timing were worse, literally hundreds of passengers and crew (and locals) could have been injured.

I think this was a wake up call to do something before a major catastrophe.  

2 hours ago, chipchop5 said:

I am on Discovery in July, and it looks like there are 3 other cruise ships scheduled to stop at skagway when Discovery is there.  I am hoping we don't have to skip that port due to the damage.

I hope so as well. We were originally booked on the Crown but changed to the Discovery because of skipped ports and time in other ports cut dramatically. Would hate to see this happen again!

3 hours ago, chipchop5 said:

I am on Discovery in July, and it looks like there are 3 other cruise ships scheduled to stop at skagway when Discovery is there.  I am hoping we don't have to skip that port due to the damage.

We are also on Discovery in July.  It sounds like the larger ships like the Discovery, Regal, and Majestic will have to tie up at the aft dock and tender off passengers until this situation is resolved.  Smaller ships that were scheduled to berth at the Railroad Dock will be moved to other docks if available.  And if there are two large ships in port, it will be interesting to see if one will be allowed to anchor.  In our 7 trips to Skagway I don't think I've ever seen a ship anchored there but it could just be that there is enough dock space to handle all of the ships.  Sounds like the town wants to figure this out as they need the business.  We were there on the Majestic last year and it was eerie with only one ship in port.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Sounds like the town wants to figure this out as they need the business. 

Yep, look for one of the most expedited repair jobs you'll ever see.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 2